BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies You've Watched Recently

5 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/29/2022, 5:52 pm

I also don't know what elevated horror is. Is that what Get Out was? Now that was a good movie. Nope didn't make any damn sense.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 Empty Re: Movies You've Watched Recently

Post by WyldeMan 8/29/2022, 6:58 pm

joey con carne wrote:What is elevated horror?

I'll allow Jenna Ortega in Scream 5 to enlighten you. Just jump to 1:50 and you won't have to watch the rest of that stupid scene.

Also, how fucking old does Ghostface sound now? He's Grandpa Ghostface. Soooo scary! Razz

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/30/2022, 11:17 am

lol that's where it's from, forgot about that line. Did a google search and The Witch, Get Out, and Hereditary came up. Haven't seen The Witch but I liked the other 2 movies.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 8/30/2022, 4:57 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:lol that's where it's from, forgot about that line. Did a google search and The Witch, Get Out, and Hereditary came up. Haven't seen The Witch but I liked the other 2 movies.

I couldn't fucking believe they made us sit through that horrifically bad Scream 5 opening scene and the even more atrocious rest of the movie and at no point did they even have the decency to kill her!?!?! I'd never felt more fucked over by a Scream movie than I did after sitting through that trash.

I blame Jordan Peele for making "elevated horror" so mainstream. It's pure elitist bullshit and it needs to end.

Even its name is so fucking pretentious "elevated horror". It sounds so fuckin hoity toity and British. As if the entire Psychological horror genre just wasn't good enough for these fuckers.

You mentioned the works of Robert Eggers, Jordan Peele and Ari Aster and yes those is the very definition of "elevated horror" directors. Having been burned by all of them, I will avoid them and everything they touch going forward.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 8/30/2022, 5:48 pm

Watched the video and I understand now. It's one of those terms for a movie where if you don't like it then you "didn't get" the message behind the horror film. You didn't understand the underlying themes and analogies or allegory.

Gay
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 8/30/2022, 11:30 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I also don't know what elevated horror is. Is that what Get Out was? Now that was a good movie. Nope didn't make any damn sense.
Nope made more sense than Us, it’s my favorite of Peele's films so far.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 8/31/2022, 10:59 am

joey con carne wrote:Watched the video and I understand now. It's one of those terms for a movie where if you don't like it then you "didn't get" the message behind the horror film. You didn't understand the underlying themes and analogies or allegory.

Gay

This is me after getting tricked into watching elevated horror because I listened to other people telling me that the movie was amazing.

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 15b6d62aa29339ffa0d68b259b98bdcc

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/31/2022, 5:30 pm

Tyger wrote:Nope made more sense than Us, it’s my favorite of Peele's films so far.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's not even that it didn't make sense, there was just no point to it. Just a giant stupid plot of nothing. The whole monkey incident was more interesting than the UFO stuff.

But to say Nope is your favorite........no, sir!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/18/2022, 3:37 pm

I've been watching a lot of 2022 releases this month and it's been mostly forgettable crap. I've seen close to 40 releases from 2022 so far this year but 2022 is another year of movies proving Sturgeon's Law and I will just stick to what I've seen this month.

Vamper dramas; The Invitation and House of Darkness: Both equally terrible disappointments. I kind of hated them both from the opening credits all the way to the end credits. I went in hoping to enjoy both because a good vamper movie is so god damned hard to find. However, these were not exceptions to the rule. The Invitation was typical modern day woke horror about the evils of patriarchy and how women need to topple it and oh yeah there's a vamper running around too doing virtally nothing the entire film. And House of Darkness made me wish for Justin Long's death from the opening two minutes by making him the biggest d-bag he's ever played is his entire career, I just wanted to watch him die for 90 minutes. Nothing remotely scary about either film other than how much time I wasted watching them both.

Halloween Ends: Not exactly the disappointment I expected it to be, I didn't hate it but I didn't love it. It wasn't the worst Halloween movie ever made but it also wasn't the greatest. I know this won't be the final Halloween movie and so I'm feeling more forgivable than I would have been in the past. The supernatural element is nothing new to Michael's mythos so it didn't bother me but this movie should have focused on Michael and not a new player at the end of the game.However, the 2022 offerings have all been so mediocre or terrible that by comparison Halloween Ends is one of the better movies I've seen this year.

Beast: Not nearly as good as 1996's The Ghost and the Darkness and it feels inferior in every way. The VFX in Beast are so terribly cheap looking that you're immediately removed from buying into every action scene as soon as it happens. Ghost and the Darkness is over 25 years old and still looks better than Beast does today. Not to forget this movie features one of the most obnoxious and unlikable teen girl characters to ever appear on film and she didn't even have the decency to die after making viewers suffer through her for 90 minutes. If they had dropped the two daughters from the movie and just made Beast about Idris Elba and Sharlto Copley battling a rogue lion than it might have been a much more enjoyable movie but that is not what they delivered and it is what it is, mediocre and disappointing at best. 

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: Nic Cage and Pedro Pascal in a buddy comedy where Cage is essentially playing his exact real life self. It's a very weird but funny movie and I don't give too many modern Nic Cage movies a chance but I'm glad I didn't skip this one if only so I could watch Nic Cage and Pedro's characters trip on LSD. You guys might enjoy this if you come across it on streaming in the future.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 10/18/2022, 6:57 pm

The Unbearable Weight was really funny, I also enjoyed it. It doesn't take itself seriously and somehow Nic and Pedro made it work.

The Invitation was not what I expected, I agree. Trailer made it seem otherwise but it was very predictable. The only thing good about it were the beautiful ladies, including Stephanie Corneliussen who haven't seen since Mr. Robot. Damn! She can bite me any day!

Didn't know House of Darkness was out, sucks to hear it wasn't good. I'd still like to see it though.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/19/2022, 7:56 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:The Invitation was not what I expected, I agree. Trailer made it seem otherwise but it was very predictable. The only thing good about it were the beautiful ladies, including Stephanie Corneliussen who haven't seen since Mr. Robot. Damn! She can bite me any day!

Didn't know House of Darkness was out, sucks to hear it wasn't good. I'd still like to see it though.

How dare that evil man try to give her all that power just so that she could rule by his side. How dare him! That pig!

I will give you Stephanie Corneliussen being a god damned brickhouse, that woman was a whole lotta Bambalam pakced in a little dress. I also hadn't seen her since Robot either but she was wasted here. I'll be sure to keep my eye on her future projects though.

House of Darkness has three characters through almost the entire film and Justin just can't stop talking and every single thing he says is designed to irritate and make you hate him. This is another case where you keep watching because they make sure the women are just attractive enough to keep watching but I expected more from a Neil LaBute project. I will give it too Long though because I didn't know he could make me hate him so quickly, it's never happened before but all that endless talk really wasn't necessary given how little payoff there was.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 11/3/2022, 5:15 pm

House of Darkness: You were right about this one. For a dialogue focused movie, the dialogue could have been so much better. I knew it was going to end that way but the second act could have been better and the 3rd sister doesn't even show up until the very end which I didn't realize was Holly from Power. lol Yeah, there was nothing likeable about Justin's character by the end of it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking he was just being a dude but he deserved that ending.

Barbarian: This was not scary at all, what a bunch of lies. Scary stuff doesn't even start until half way into the movie. I found it more disgusting than scary. Again, nothing likeable about Justin's character in this one either. I thought it was kind of hilarious that he was getting fucked by women in both movies. lol But this was definitely better than House of Darkness.

Don't Worry Darling: I enjoyed it but I expected very different answers regarding the whole mystery. Women being programed to be oppressed and obedient by men was not it. Definitely a giant message behind this movie and now I understand the connection to Jordan Peterson.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/7/2023, 10:01 am

The Whale: Amazing performance by Fraser in this movie and it was a great story too. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry in this movie by the end, it definitely got to me. I learned that this was based on a play after watching it and the movie felt like it too, it all takes place in his apartment with characters coming and going and I loved that.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/13/2023, 11:11 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:The Whale: Amazing performance by Fraser in this movie and it was a great story too. I'd be lying if I said I didn't cry in this movie by the end, it definitely got to me. I learned that this was based on a play after watching it and the movie felt like it too, it all takes place in his apartment with characters coming and going and I loved that.

Last night Fraser took home the Oscar for this one. Talk about a comeback!

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/13/2023, 11:36 am

Nice! I'm happy for him. Very much deserved!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 8/18/2023, 4:54 pm

I caught a bunch of old Steven Seagal movies from '88-'97 scattered across various streaming services that I decided to give a viewing to for the first time since the 90s. What a rough trip that was...

My favorite thing is that in every one of his movies, his character usually a "lowly" beat cop, short order cook, small town doctor, they all have a "mysterious past" which is always revealed to have been CIA. His characters are always demoted to these lowly position by being better and smarter than everybody else at said previous job.

In every fight scene, all the bad guys circle up around him and attack one by one as he uses a variation of the exact same move where he takes a guy's wrist and breaks it and then kick him over and over while typically talking shit to the bad guys, as he emasculates them and lets them know that he's the only real man in the room and they are nothing. Bullying seems to be his thing on screen and off.

Seagal never looks weak, never gets knocked down or to his back, never gets shot or stabbed, he's basically invulnerable to everything. I don't remember Arnold, Stallone or JCVD having an aversion to bleeding or being knocked down...

I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that every single role seems crafted solely to feed the guy's ego and all of his characters are so needlessly destructive, when Seagal fights his way into a room, he utterly destroys it. If he fights into your bedroom, he'll destroy everything in it and then move on to your living room and your kitchen on his way out, I know because I literally watched this exact thing happen in "Out For Justice" while I laughed about how ridiculously and needlessly destructive he is.

In the early days he was surrounded by some incredible co-stars who were all much bigger names than him and most are still working today, by comparison you can really see why his career had such a short run and why he hasn't managed to secure a theatrical release in over 20 years. He was gifted far far too many superior talents to work opposite of and he really gave them nothing to work with, Under Siege and The Fire Down Below are  perfect examples of this.

Steven Seagal, seventh degree black belt, Buddhist and Environmentalist is a really just a creature of pure ego. 

I understand why it's been twenty-five years since I revisited his works and I'm now cured of any further curiosity.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 8/18/2023, 5:48 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I caught a bunch of old Steven Seagal movies from '88-'97 scattered across various streaming services that I decided to give a viewing to for the first time since the 90s. What a rough trip that was...

My favorite thing is that in every one of his movies, his character usually a "lowly" beat cop, short order cook, small town doctor, they all have a "mysterious past" which is always revealed to have been CIA. His characters are always demoted to these lowly position by being better and smarter than everybody else at said previous job.

In every fight scene, all the bad guys circle up around him and attack one by one as he uses a variation of the exact same move where he takes a guy's wrist and breaks it and then kick him over and over while typically talking shit to the bad guys, as he emasculates them and lets them know that he's the only real man in the room and they are nothing. Bullying seems to be his thing on screen and off.

Seagal never looks weak, never gets knocked down or to his back, never gets shot or stabbed, he's basically invulnerable to everything. I don't remember Arnold, Stallone or JCVD having an aversion to bleeding or being knocked down...

I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that every single role seems crafted solely to feed the guy's ego and all of his characters are so needlessly destructive, when Seagal fights his way into a room, he utterly destroys it. If he fights into your bedroom, he'll destroy everything in it and then move on to your living room and your kitchen on his way out, I know because I literally watched this exact thing happen in "Out For Justice" while I laughed about how ridiculously and needlessly destructive he is.

In the early days he was surrounded by some incredible co-stars who were all much bigger names than him and most are still working today, by comparison you can really see why his career had such a short run and why he hasn't managed to secure a theatrical release in over 20 years. He was gifted far far too many superior talents to work opposite of and he really gave them nothing to work with, Under Siege and The Fire Down Below are  perfect examples of this.

Steven Seagal, seventh degree black belt, Buddhist and Environmentalist is a really just a creature of pure ego. 

I understand why it's been twenty-five years since I revisited his works and I'm now cured of any further curiosity.

You'll love this.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 8/29/2023, 8:16 pm

After my severe wrong turn into Seagal territory I required major course correction and have since been watching a lot of classics starring Charles Bronson and Robert Mitchum because it's pretty god damned hard to go wrong with either of those bad ass mother fuckers. Cool

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/4/2023, 9:58 am

I just watched Indy and the Dial and Destiny and what an abomination that was. I like how all four of the writers committed to creating one of the most unlikable female leads in movie history with the hopes of handing off Indy's franchise to her and her own Short Round in a future installment. Good luck with that shit! 

Boyd Holbrook was totally wasted here but he goes where Mangold goes and unfortuantely this one a bad one for them both. However I'm fully expecting Holbrook to be cast as Alec Holland in Mangold's Swamp Thing adaptation, so it might take five more years but I'm hoping they can redeem themselves after this disaster.

The only part I enjoyed was the final three minutes with the return of Marion Ravenwood. Karen Allen has aged naturally and gracefully and is still instantly recognizable after all these years at 71 years old. It's a nice change of pace from her many peers who destroyed their faces with unnecessary surgeries and in the process destroyed their careers and their faces.

The fact that they killed Indy's son Mutt off in a line of dialogue in a barely heard news report was even more bullshit. I did not enjoy this movie for a moment, it was the same old Indy bullshit where everybody continuously survives by the skin of their nuts and the bad guys ALWAYS hang back in the shadows until Indy finds the McGuffin and then they pop up to steal them, every god damned time. What a tired ass unoriginal formula.

Anyways, Dial of Destiny did not need to exist, it was all around bad. Indy meeting Archimedes in Ancient Rome bad.....

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/4/2023, 8:00 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I just watched Indy and the Dial and Destiny and what an abomination that was. I like how all four of the writers committed to creating one of the most unlikable female leads in movie history with the hopes of handing off Indy's franchise to her and her own Short Round in a future installment. Good luck with that shit! 

Boyd Holbrook was totally wasted here but he goes where Mangold goes and unfortuantely this one a bad one for them both. However I'm fully expecting Holbrook to be cast as Alec Holland in Mangold's Swamp Thing adaptation, so it might take five more years but I'm hoping they can redeem themselves after this disaster.

The only part I enjoyed was the final three minutes with the return of Marion Ravenwood. Karen Allen has aged naturally and gracefully and is still instantly recognizable after all these years at 71 years old. It's a nice change of pace from her many peers who destroyed their faces with unnecessary surgeries and in the process destroyed their careers and their faces.

The fact that they killed Indy's son Mutt off in a line of dialogue in a barely heard news report was even more bullshit. I did not enjoy this movie for a moment, it was the same old Indy bullshit where everybody continuously survives by the skin of their nuts and the bad guys ALWAYS hang back in the shadows until Indy finds the McGuffin and then they pop up to steal them, every god damned time. What a tired ass unoriginal formula.

Anyways, Dial of Destiny did not need to exist, it was all around bad. Indy meeting Archimedes in Ancient Rome bad.....

Watching the previous Indy was all I needed to know I'll never watch another one again. Not a chance I'll hit "Play" when this pops up in my feed.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/4/2023, 11:03 pm

Rusty wrote:Watching the previous Indy was all I needed to know I'll never watch another one again. Not a chance I'll hit "Play" when this pops up in my feed.

I can't believe this was a Mangold movie, he's usually much more reliable. Watching Dial of Destiny was a visual experiment in self-flogging of the mind.

The female lead as I mentioned was entirely unlikable and I spent 95% of the movie, positive that "she" was a trans actor but apparently she's just supremely unfeminine and so British that she could easily be mistaken for an effeminate man.

You have made the right call, do not watch this pile of crap.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/6/2023, 12:10 pm

Salute to Wylde for taking one for the team to watch Dial of Destiny.

Movies You've Watched Recently - Page 8 Giphy
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/8/2023, 7:06 pm

I watched the newer Halloween movies last weekend across three different streaming platforms. That really set the tone for the fucking mess they are. I thought I had heard good things, but only the first was at all decent.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/8/2023, 7:12 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Salute to Wylde for taking one for the team to watch Dial of Destiny.

You fuckers better appreciate it cause I got PTSD from it...

Tyger wrote:I watched the newer Halloween movies last weekend across three different streaming platforms. That really set the tone for the fucking mess they are. I thought I had heard good things, but only the first was at all decent.

I am a big Halloween fan and went in just wanting to love the new franchise but found it pretty damned hard. I actually did enjoy the first two installments just because I was ready to go on that violent ride but the third and final movie left me so confused and disappointed by that clusterfuck ending. 

The only thing that kept my hopes up is knowing that Michael Meyers never dies and he will return again and again so instead of viewing it as the end its just another bad Halloween sequel of which there are many. 

And because he's apparently only doing horror remakes/sequels now, as soon as David Gordon Green was done with Halloween he immediately jumped over to The Exorcist.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/8/2023, 8:22 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
And because he's apparently only doing horror remakes/sequels now, as soon as David Gordon Green was done with Halloween he immediately jumped over to The Exorcist.

... and he's making 3 of them. Damn!

Good trailer though. Might check the first one out.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/8/2023, 9:13 pm

Rusty wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

... and he's making 3 of them. Damn!

Good trailer though. Might check the first one out.

They are making three? I only knew about Believer and Deceiver but maybe that's just because they both wrapped awhile ago.

Like Halloween, these new Exorcist movies are a sequel to the original which is why 90 year old Ellen Burstyn returns. Gordon filmed Believer and Deceiver back to back over a five month period and given Burstyn's advanced age and the risk of COVID, they filmed all of her scenes for both movies months before principal photography started and then brought her back for reshoots. 

I'm not much of a fan of the exorcism genre in general but I've been partial to the OG Exorcist ever since I was watching it quite loudly one day in high school when two Mormons came knocking and I opened the door to the "Fuck me Jesus" scene exploding over my surround sound. Needless to say they never returned. Beyond that though, I've never found much use for the genre.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/9/2023, 10:51 am

Rusty wrote:You'll love this.

Sorry Rust, I only just got around to watching this and you were right. I've heard Sergura's name for years but I've never actually seen his work before. It's been a long long time since I saw the Steven Seagal Lawman series but that description sounds exactly like how I remember it.

This clip lead me down a weird rabbit hole where he's been trolling Garth Brooks for years trying to convince people that he's a serial killer. 

His trolling has gotten his fans to bring signs such as "Where are the bodies G" to Garth's concerts and endless Garth Brooks is a serial killer believers who are positive that its true. I'dn ever heard the Garth serial killer theory before but sure why not, he looks crazy enough for it to be possible. 

Segura just casually on podcasts says such things as:

“People are saying that I’m trolling the guy, all I’m doing is repeating what I’ve heart that allegedly, his tour schedule aligns with dozens of missing persons.”

“We’ve been really, really on one with Garth Brooks the last few weeks, or months really. What he’s thinking about is all the bodies he’s got stacked in graves in his yard, for sure. He’s probably killed 200 to 300 people in his life.”

That is some epic trolling........ Razz

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/17/2023, 4:47 pm

White Lightning (1973) - Burt Reynolds plays Gator McKlusky a man in prison for running shine who upon learning his younger brother was murdered by the corrupt county sheriff played by Ned Beatty, agrees to snitch on other runners if they'll let him out to go undercover to run shine and bring down the man who killed his brother. White Lightning was directed by Joseph Sargant who would go on to direct Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw the very next year in the classic The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. White Lightning is currently on Prime.

My other recommend Burt Reynolds films from the 70's that I've watched this past month that I wouldn't mind discussing include; Deliverance, The Longest Yard, Smokey and the Bandit, Hooper, Hustle and Semi-Tough. There was also a White Lighning sequel a few years later simply titled Gator but I didn't feel it lived up to the original even with Lauren Hutton's presence.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/20/2023, 12:28 am

Finally got around to watching Prey last night.

Really enjoyed the idea, but the English language really threw me in and out of immersion. Especially the final kill scene where she says "this is as far as you go. This is it". It felt so unnatural.

Thankfully the 4K Bluray release has the full Comanche audio track, so that will be a buy for me.

Everything else worked for me though. Loved the bear fight scene too. Even with it being CGI it still looked fucking cool. Don't fuck with Grizzlies.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/20/2023, 10:06 am

Rusty wrote:Finally got around to watching Prey last night.

Really enjoyed the idea, but the English language really threw me in and out of immersion. Especially the final kill scene where she says "this is as far as you go. This is it". It felt so unnatural.

Thankfully the 4K Bluray release has the full Comanche audio track, so that will be a buy for me.

Everything else worked for me though. Loved the bear fight scene too. Even with it being CGI it still looked fucking cool. Don't fuck with Grizzlies.

I enjoyed Prey for what it was but I've still only seen it one time and need to see if it holds up for me like the other Predator films. I too had a big problem with the English and planned to watch the Comanche Dub because it was included in the Hulu release but its been over a year and I still haven't gotten around to it. If you beat me to it, let me know if the Comanche audio helped improve it.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/20/2023, 4:17 pm

I complety forgot about Prey, I'll check it out soon.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/21/2023, 11:32 am

Blue Beetle didn't totally suck. It felt like the kind of comic book movie that families could enjoy together. 

It was pretty light-hearted fare and felt more in line with early MCU than anything currently in DC. My only real exposure to Jaime Reyes was from the Young Justice animated series several years back but the character felt a lot like how I remembered him being and the suit looked exactly like it should have. Xolo was the right casting choice for the character and I don't really have any casting complaints, his family had a shitload of personality and the grandmother was the best character in the movie.

Blue Beetle seems like a faithful adaptation to the character which feels rare these days. As long as you don't go in expecting this bug movie to be super serious like Joker or The Batman and something more along the lines of say early Thor or Ant-Man and you'll probably enjoy it for what it is.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/22/2023, 5:04 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Blue Beetle didn't totally suck. It felt like the kind of comic book movie that families could enjoy together. 

It was pretty light-hearted fare and felt more in line with early MCU than anything currently in DC. My only real exposure to Jaime Reyes was from the Young Justice animated series several years back but the character felt a lot like how I remembered him being and the suit looked exactly like it should have. Xolo was the right casting choice for the character and I don't really have any casting complaints, his family had a shitload of personality and the grandmother was the best character in the movie.

Blue Beetle seems like a faithful adaptation to the character which feels rare these days. As long as you don't go in expecting this bug movie to be super serious like Joker or The Batman and something more along the lines of say early Thor or Ant-Man and you'll probably enjoy it for what it is.

Nice! Like you, I also got to know the character through Young Justice. I'm going to watch it with my little bro.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/27/2023, 3:50 am

I just watched The Revenant for the first time.

I avoided this for the longest time because I hated the press it got leading in to its release. It was mostly positive, but how I read it made me think it was some obnoxious filmmakers attempt to get Oscars with it's close lenses, and drawn out unpleasantness ... especially for DiCaprio. They made his acting sound like a fucking over-the-top insult to acting.

So not the case. I fucking loved this. Loved how it was shot. Looked fucking amazing. Leo and Hardy were fucking flawless. Multi-lingual is always a plus. An absolute solid film.

I was reading the films Wiki page about the changes made and "inaccuracies" from the original accounts, but I have to say, as a film adaption, the right decisions were made.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/27/2023, 10:22 am

Rusty wrote:I just watched The Revenant for the first time.

I avoided this for the longest time because I hated the press it got leading in to its release. It was mostly positive, but how I read it made me think it was some obnoxious filmmakers attempt to get Oscars with it's close lenses, and drawn out unpleasantness ... especially for DiCaprio. They made his acting sound like a fucking over-the-top insult to acting.

So not the case. I fucking loved this. Loved how it was shot. Looked fucking amazing. Leo and Hardy were fucking flawless. Multi-lingual is always a plus. An absolute solid film.

I was reading the films Wiki page about the changes made and "inaccuracies" from the original accounts, but I have to say, as a film adaption, the right decisions were made.

Revenant got a lot of hate during release for all the reasons you mentioned but I ignored the heat and did see it when it first came out and was blown away.

Rust, have you ever seen the 1971 Richard Harris movie "Man in the the Wilderness"? Everybody saw 'Revenant' but I've yet to talk to anybody else who's seen 'Man' which also told the same story and was a much more historically faithful adaptation to what actually happened whereas DiCaprio's version took the more satisfying Hollywood approach that we all wanted.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/28/2023, 6:43 pm

Haven't seen Man in the Wilderness. I'd never heard of it until your post.

Had a quick check and it's only available to me via purchase, so that won't be happening.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/28/2023, 9:08 pm

Rusty wrote:Haven't seen Man in the Wilderness. I'd never heard of it until your post.

Had a quick check and it's only available to me via purchase, so that won't be happening.

I've been streaming a lot of 60's and 70's movies lately including some Richard Harris movies and wasn't sure what is available to you versus what we've got.

Just keep it in mind if you ever run across it cause now you'll know what it is.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/30/2023, 8:07 pm

I've been meaning to watch The Revenant for a while now. lol I have to do it one of these days.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 11/6/2023, 3:29 am

Watched a few movies recently. I noticed that for the past couple of years my movie watching dropped drastically and spent most my viewing on TV shows. Which also explains why most of my 'continue watching' lists are filled with unfinished shows, as most aren't good enough to hold my attention. Back to movies for a while me thinks.

On Saturday night I watched an odd Slasher flick: X. It stars Mia Goth, Martin Henderson, and Jenna Ortega.  It's set in the 70's and revolves around a group renting a place on farmland to film a porno, and once the sex starts, the slashing begins.

It now has a prequel released named Pearl, and a yet to be released sequel titled MaXXXine.

After seeing the teaser for the new 'Apes' move, last night I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), and tonight I just finished Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014). Will watch the third film in the next day or two.

Mad late to the party on these, but they were really good. The only 'Apes' films I had seen was the Charlton Heston original, and the Marky Mark version. I started Rise a while back but only got 30 minutes in. Solid films all around.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 11/7/2023, 8:38 pm

Rusty wrote:Watched a few movies recently. I noticed that for the past couple of years my movie watching dropped drastically and spent most my viewing on TV shows. Which also explains why most of my 'continue watching' lists are filled with unfinished shows, as most aren't good enough to hold my attention. Back to movies for a while me thinks.

On Saturday night I watched an odd Slasher flick: X. It stars Mia Goth, Martin Henderson, and Jenna Ortega.  It's set in the 70's and revolves around a group renting a place on farmland to film a porno, and once the sex starts, the slashing begins.

It now has a prequel released named Pearl, and a yet to be released sequel titled MaXXXine.

I enjoyed Pearl and X. Both movies were filmed in secret back to back for almost no money in a short amount of time. I love that guerilla style of film making, it reminds me a lot of movies of the 70's. 

Not sure if you're aware but Pearl's ill-fated lover the projectionist played by David Corenswet, is the next Superman debuting in Gunn's Legacy film.

Rusty wrote:After seeing the teaser for the new 'Apes' move, last night I watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011), and tonight I just finished Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014). Will watch the third film in the next day or two.

Mad late to the party on these, but they were really good. The only 'Apes' films I had seen was the Charlton Heston original, and the Marky Mark version. I started Rise a while back but only got 30 minutes in. Solid films all around.

I've seen every Apes movie, from the Serkis trilogy to all of the originals. I love this franchise and hope they keep making sequels for a long time because there is more than enough story to allow it.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 11/8/2023, 7:35 pm

I need to watch Pearl soon because I'm curious to see David Corenswet, have not seen him in anything before. I did watch X and it was pretty good. It was almost near the end of the movie that I noticed Mia played both characters. I don't understand why they decided to release them backwards if they were shot back to back.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 11/8/2023, 9:14 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I need to watch Pearl soon because I'm curious to see David Corenswet, have not seen him in anything before. I did watch X and it was pretty good. It was almost near the end of the movie that I noticed Mia played both characters. I don't understand why they decided to release them backwards if they were shot back to back.

I think it was just because X was originally a stand-alone film and was filmed first. It was in theatres whilst Pearl was still being edited.

From what I understand the filmmaker got the idea for a Pearl movie whilst filming X. He and Mia Goth were talking about creating backstory for the older Pearl character, they thought that they could even possibly make a movie out of it, and it went from there. Once they finished X, the studio greenlit Pearl, and because of Covid, they just stayed and used the same set in New Zealand, with a crew that just wrapped filming something else, since they had all already cleared isolation protocols and were nowhere near anyone else.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 11/9/2023, 10:01 pm

Rusty wrote:I think it was just because X was originally a stand-alone film and was filmed first. It was in theatres whilst Pearl was still being edited.

From what I understand the filmmaker got the idea for a Pearl movie whilst filming X. He and Mia Goth were talking about creating backstory for the older Pearl character, they thought that they could even possibly make a movie out of it, and it went from there. Once they finished X, the studio greenlit Pearl, and because of Covid, they just stayed and used the same set in New Zealand, with a crew that just wrapped filming something else, since they had all already cleared isolation protocols and were nowhere near anyone else.

Interesting, yeah, X did feel like a stand-alone. I didn't know that they were even making a third.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 11/10/2023, 5:15 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
Rusty wrote:I think it was just because X was originally a stand-alone film and was filmed first. It was in theatres whilst Pearl was still being edited.

Interesting, yeah, X did feel like a stand-alone. I didn't know that they were even making a third.

MaXXXine "follows Maxine (Goth), after the events of X, as the sole survivor who continues her journey towards fame setting out to make it as an actress in 1980's Los Angeles." AKA Maxxine does more Porn.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 11/10/2023, 10:03 pm

WyldeMan wrote:MaXXXine "follows Maxine (Goth), after the events of X, as the sole survivor who continues her journey towards fame setting out to make it as an actress in 1980's Los Angeles." AKA Maxxine does more Porn.

That sounds about right. lol I liked the ending of X and I thought nobody would make it out alive. Also liked the song played as Maxine is leaving.

I've only seen Mia in A Cure for Wellness before but she didn't leave much of an impression but after seeing her in X and also in Infinity Pool, she is very talented. I saw an interview with her and I was like WTF? I thought she was American.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next