BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Top 5 Movies of 2021

4 posters

Go down

Your Top 5 Movies of 2021 Empty Your Top 5 Movies of 2021

Post by WyldeMan 12/24/2021, 11:32 am

It's that time of year again to compile and compare lists of our top movies of 2021.

Add as many or as few as you want but try for a Top 5 if possible.

I saw many new releases and liked almost none of them. I have no idea how these titles will hold up to repeat viewings but here's my top 5.

1. Halloween Kills
2. Wrath of Man 
3. Dune 
4. Mortal Kombat
5. The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

I struggled to even make my Top 5 list this year which would seem to indicate that 2021 was mostly a black hole for good movies and I still need to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife and Spider-Man: No Way Home, which is why they're not on my list.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with and finding out if I missed any good movies this year.

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Your Top 5 Movies of 2021 Empty Re: Your Top 5 Movies of 2021

Post by Rusty 12/24/2021, 3:54 pm

I can't even make a top 5. The only movie I watched this year that I know was released in 2021 was Many Saints of Newark ... and it fucking sucked.

If there are 2021 movies I watched, I don't remember them, so they wouldn't make the list anyway Very Happy

For the most part, 2021 was the year of the re-watch for me. Anything new I watched was a TV series, and even then only a handful. I spent most of the year re-watching old shit.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/24/2021, 9:29 pm

Rusty wrote:I can't even make a top 5. The only movie I watched this year that I know was released in 2021 was Many Saints of Newark ... and it fucking sucked.

If there are 2021 movies I watched, I don't remember them, so they wouldn't make the list anyway Very Happy

For the most part, 2021 was the year of the re-watch for me. Anything new I watched was a TV series, and even then only a handful. I spent most of the year re-watching old shit.

Right there with you, as you can tell my own top five was super weak and Mortal Kombat is the only movie I've seen twice and it didn't really hold up.

I've re-watched a shitload of old favorites that I knew wouldn't let me down because every time i tried something new, I just hated it.

Sometimes it feels like they're no longer making movies for me....but I also can't help but feel like this is entirely Abe's fault.

Lately I've been revisiting all of Costner's westerns, so it's impossible for me to be let down with so many great choices.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 12/25/2021, 2:54 am

WyldeMan wrote:

Right there with you, as you can tell my own top five was super weak and Mortal Kombat is the only movie I've seen twice and it didn't really hold up.

I've re-watched a shitload of old favorites that I knew wouldn't let me down because every time i tried something new, I just hated it.

Sometimes it feels like they're no longer making movies for me....but I also can't help but feel like this is entirely Abe's fault.

Lately I've been revisiting all of Costner's westerns, so it's impossible for me to be let down with so many great choices.

I've been planning on doing that, but I don't want to start until I have them all.

I have Silverado and Wyatt Earp lined up on my streams, and both Dances with Wolves and Hatfield & McCoy on Blu. Unfortunately the one I really want but don't have access to, is Open Range. It's only available on DVD here (and long out of print), and isn't available on ANY provider here. Can't even buy it on iTunes. It's not even available on Blu in the US. I have to import it from Europe, but because of COVID I've been hesitant trusting international shipping.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/25/2021, 5:19 pm

Rusty wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

I've been planning on doing that, but I don't want to start until I have them all.

I have Silverado and Wyatt Earp lined up on my streams, and both Dances with Wolves and Hatfield & McCoy on Blu. Unfortunately the one I really want but don't have access to, is Open Range. It's only available on DVD here (and long out of print), and isn't available on ANY provider here. Can't even buy it on iTunes. It's not even available on Blu in the US. I have to import it from Europe, but because of COVID I've been hesitant trusting international shipping.

I've got Silverado on Hulu, Wyatt Earp on Netflix as is the theatrical cut of Dances with Wolves but I don't need bother with that cut since it's nearly an hour shorter than the masterpiece that is the Dances with Wolves Extended Cut, which I already own.

Hatfields and McCoys is on Prime.

I already own The Postman which is basically a post-apocalyptic western. I don't care what anybody else says about it, I love that movie like Shakespeare loved his mule.

Open Range is my favorite western of the last twenty years. It's still widely available here on DVD and there are endless copies on ebay for $5 but I don't know if it ever hit BD.

It'd be nice If I had my whole Costner collection in one location, I need to see what kind of deals Vudu has got going on.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 12/26/2021, 1:45 am

WyldeMan wrote:
I've got Silverado on Hulu, Wyatt Earp on Netflix as is the theatrical cut of Dances with Wolves but I don't need bother with that cut since it's nearly an hour shorter than the masterpiece that is the Dances with Wolves Extended Cut, which I already own.

Hatfields and McCoys is on Prime.

I already own The Postman which is basically a post-apocalyptic western. I don't care what anybody else says about it, I love that movie like Shakespeare loved his mule.

Open Range is my favorite western of the last twenty years. It's still widely available here on DVD and there are endless copies on ebay for $5 but I don't know if it ever hit BD.

It'd be nice If I had my whole Costner collection in one location, I need to see what kind of deals Vudu has got going on.

I forgot about ThePostman. I also have that on my Netflix list.

I have the extended cut of Dances but haven't watched it. Bought it when it was eventually released here on Blu with both versions in a 2-disc set, but I'm positive it's still unopened. It's sitting in a box from when I moved over a year ago.

Open Range is an odd one. One of the most regarded Western's over the past couple of decades, with one of the best onscreen gunfights rivaled only by the post-bank robbery gunfight in Michael Mann's Heat. It was released on DVD everywhere (now mostly out of print everywhere), but it's Blu releases are limited to a handful of EU countries (Germany, Sweden, etc), and most recently, the UK.

It never got a US Blu release, but there may be a reason. Costner has a legal battle with an ex partner/producer/etc regarding how the distribution rights to Open Range were packaged and sold. He's suing for $15+million. Google will fill you in better than I can.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/26/2021, 8:34 am

Rusty wrote:I forgot about ThePostman. I also have that on my Netflix list.

I have the extended cut of Dances but haven't watched it. Bought it when it was eventually released here on Blu with both versions in a 2-disc set, but I'm positive it's still unopened. It's sitting in a box from when I moved over a year ago.

Open Range is an odd one. One of the most regarded Western's over the past couple of decades, with one of the best onscreen gunfights rivaled only by the post-bank robbery gunfight in Michael Mann's Heat. It was released on DVD everywhere (now mostly out of print everywhere), but it's Blu releases are limited to a handful of EU countries (Germany, Sweden, etc), and most recently, the UK.

It never got a US Blu release, but there may be a reason. Costner has a legal battle with an ex partner/producer/etc regarding how the distribution rights to Open Range were packaged and sold. He's suing for $15+million. Google will fill you in better than I can.

Nobody ever remembers the Postman but I've been a fan since I was a kid. It's just another reason that I'm enjoying Will Patton on Yellowstone, he and Costner make incredible adversaries.

You've never seen the Extended Cut of Wolves or you just haven't watched your copy yet? It feels like a different movie compared to the theatrical. Same goes for Waterworld, I liked the theatrical but I'm a big fan of the Odysseus Cut and just like with Wolves, all that extra footage makes it feel like a very different movie.

I was unaware of the legal issues of Open Range. That must be why it's been so under represented while being such a great movie.

BTW, here's a fun little FYI look out for ya on your rewatches, when you watch Wyatt Earp make sure to pay close attention to the Young Wyatt in that movie cause you'll certainly recognize a real young Ian Bohen aka Ryan from the Yellowstone Bunkhouse.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 1/2/2022, 2:42 am

WyldeMan wrote:
Nobody ever remembers the Postman but I've been a fan since I was a kid. It's just another reason that I'm enjoying Will Patton on Yellowstone, he and Costner make incredible adversaries.

You've never seen the Extended Cut of Wolves or you just haven't watched your copy yet? It feels like a different movie compared to the theatrical. Same goes for Waterworld, I liked the theatrical but I'm a big fan of the Odysseus Cut and just like with Wolves, all that extra footage makes it feel like a very different movie.

I was unaware of the legal issues of Open Range. That must be why it's been so under represented while being such a great movie.

BTW, here's a fun little FYI look out for ya on your rewatches, when you watch Wyatt Earp make sure to pay close attention to the Young Wyatt in that movie cause you'll certainly recognize a real young Ian Bohen aka Ryan from the Yellowstone Bunkhouse.

I have not seen the extended cut of Dances. I bought my Blu to do just that, but never got around to watching it and it's sitting in a box of Blu's from when I moved a couple years back.

I didn't pick up on the younger Earp being Ryan. I tried watching Costner's version of it the other night and I got about 30 minutes into it and I had to turn it off. I started to realise why I haven't watched it since my original viewing when it came out: I didn't like it. It didn't help that at the time I had seen Tombstone twice at the cinemas before ever seeing Costner's version, and I now remember that I never really liked it.

I bought Open Range on Blu though. Ordered the German release. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of January.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/2/2022, 7:24 am

Rusty wrote:I have not seen the extended cut of Dances. I bought my Blu to do just that, but never got around to watching it and it's sitting in a box of Blu's from when I moved a couple years back.

I didn't pick up on the younger Earp being Ryan. I tried watching Costner's version of it the other night and I got about 30 minutes into it and I had to turn it off. I started to realise why I haven't watched it since my original viewing when it came out: I didn't like it. It didn't help that at the time  I had seen Tombstone twice at the cinemas before ever seeing Costner's version, and I now remember that I never really liked it.

I bought Open Range on Blu though. Ordered the German release. Hopefully it'll be here by the end of January.

I wouldn't wait too much longer to watched that EC cut of Dances. It's a damn fine movie.

As a kid I LOVED Tombstone and probably saw it fifty times before I ever saw Earp once so I can understand where you're coming from. Based on the cast, it should have been better than Tombstone but it's also a very different movie that covers a hell of a lot more ground in the life of Wyatt Earp.

Tombstone is great if what you want is a mostly action driven western that tells a very limited story, while Earp tells a better character driven story with far less focus on action.

Here in the states, Open Range hit Hulu yesterday and The Postman hit Prime on the same day. Cool

Back to the original topic though, it would seem that nobody here was able to put together a real list of movies they liked for 2021. Maybe I should have made it a top and bottom five so then everybody could have come up with their five least favorites of the year, that feels almost easy.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/2/2022, 3:20 pm

Top 5 picks:

• No Time To Die
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
  • Wrath of Man
  • A Quiet Place Part 2
  • I Care A Lot

Honorable mentions:

• Old

Have yet to watch:

• Last Night in Soho
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 1/2/2022, 7:02 pm

Dune
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The French Dispatch
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
I don’t have a 5th

Honorable Mention: Zack Snyder’s Justice League…it’s a grey area because most of it was supposed to be released in 2017.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 1/6/2022, 8:17 pm

Finally watched my first 2021 movie: The Power of the Dog. I guess it has to be in my top 5.

Good flick though it wasn't as good as I was expecting.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down