BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024)

3 posters

Go down

Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024) Empty Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024)

Post by WyldeMan 12/4/2023, 4:12 pm

Nicolas Cage’s ‘Lord of War’ Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024
Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024) White-10
Karim Debbagh‘s leading Tangier-based line producer Kasbah Films has secured a raft of U.S. and U.K. projects that will lense in Morocco, including “Lords of War,” the sequel to “Lord of War,” starring Nicolas Cage as the world’s most notorious arms dealer.

While attending the Marrakech Film Festival, Debbagh spoke to Variety about his work on “Lords of War,” which is expected to start shooting in March for approximately 40 days. Debbagh is currently scouting locations across Morocco.

“We’re trying to cover four or five African countries, such as Libya, Egypt, Senegal and Mali and several countries in the Middle East, and we’ve almost found everything in Morocco,” said the veteran producer, who seemed overjoyed to restart scouting after having been forced to pause for eight months due to the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. “Casablanca itself is so diverse,” Debbagh said, “that you find areas that look like Senegal and others that are very luxurious like a California neighborhood, and if you’re looking for places that look similar to Libya, Yémen or Syria, you can find them in and around Marrakech.”

He said the sequel will benefit from the local tax rebate incentive, which was upped to 30% a year ago. The current scheme no longer caps the rebate to €1.8 million per film and instead has an annual cap of €10 million in rebates for all foreign shoots. “This new system means that it’s ‘first come, first served,'” said Debbagh. “Lords of War,” for instance, will spend about €7 million of eligible expenses in Morocco, and will get a rebate of roughly €2 million — which means there will be only €8 million left for all other international productions shooting in the country.

The crew of “Lords of War” will comprise 400 to 500 members, about 100 of which will come from the U.S. and U.K. mainly. “The crew members in Morocco have become so well trained in recent years thanks to all the big movies that have come here to film and also the great schools that have opened and helped bolster this younger generation,” he said.

Kasbah Films is also working on “Atomic,” an upcoming U.K. series whose first season will shoot entirely in Morocco starting in May. The show is being produced by Pulse Films, the well-established banner behind “Gangs of London.” Another project in the pipeline for Kasbah Films is “Faster Than Horses,” a British indie movie produced by Pure Grass Films.

Along with these international projects, Kasbah Films is also producing award-winning Moroccan films by some of the country’s most popular directors. The banner’s recent credits include “Life Suits Me Well,” directed by Al Hadi Ulad-Mohand. The heartwarming movie tells the story of a Moroccan family whose ties are tested when their father is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Kasbah Films also co-produced “The Damned Don’t Cry,” directed by Fyzal Boulifa. The movie world premiered at Venice last year.

Debbagh’s development roster includes “Wolfmother,” a thriller which will be directed by Ismael El Iraki, a Paris-based Moroccan director. Debbagh described the project, which was pitched at the Marrakech Film Festival’s Atlas Workshops, as a “Moroccan ‘Scarface’ set in Tangier.” “Wolfmother” has already attracted several co-producers, including Bac Films, which will also distribute in France.

“There is a new wave of Moroccan cinema and directors who are ambitious and are trying new things, and we’ve seen in recent years that the presence of Moroccan movies at Cannes and other top festivals is stronger than ever before,” Debbagh said, citing Sofia Alaoui’s Sundance movie “Animalia” and Faouzi Bensaïdi’s “Deserts.” He said this trend has also been boosted by the fact that these Moroccan films tend to be better financed with the help of international co-producers, on top of local subsidies provided by the CCM (the national film board). One of the challenges going forward, he said, is to strike co-production agreements with more countries across Europe, for instance Nordic countries such as Norway, or Germany, where Debbagh studied film.

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024) Empty Re: Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024)

Post by UltimateMarvel 12/4/2023, 5:48 pm

I liked the movie but never would have thought it'd get a sequel.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024) Empty Re: Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024)

Post by Rusty 12/4/2023, 6:31 pm

I'm not sure it'll be a direct sequel to the original movie's character, but considering the shit that happens in that part of the world, and the current wars and unrest, it's a great time to revisit the topic.

I also just realised there's a 4K release of the original. Must get my hands on a copy. Haven't watched it in years.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/4/2023, 9:40 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I liked the movie but never would have thought it'd get a sequel.

He's also got Face/Off 2 in the pipeline.

It's not too hard to make as many movies as Cage does when you only shoot for 4-5 weeks each time. Compared to most modern CGI slathered shit fests that take five years for a single movie.

However, Cage just recently mentioned in a Vanity Fair interview that he's only got three or four movies left in him and then he'd like to retire from movies. So 2024 could very well be the final year of his movie career but it sounds like he'd like to move on to episodic tv, so it won't necessarily be the end of his acting career. 

I'm holding out hope that he will star in Amazon‘s upcoming live-action Spider-Man Noir series and the timing seems right with his movie retirement announcement.

Rusty wrote:I'm not sure it'll be a direct sequel to the original movie's character, but considering the shit that happens in that part of the world, and the current wars and unrest, it's a great time to revisit the topic.

I also just realised there's a 4K release of the original. Must get my hands on a copy. Haven't watched it in years.

I see it as a direct sequel but I haven't seen the movie in close to twenty years so am I wrong in remembering that Cage lived or did he die and that's why you can't see it being a direct sequel?

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 12/5/2023, 12:35 am

WyldeMan wrote:
I see it as a direct sequel but I haven't seen the movie in close to twenty years so am I wrong in remembering that Cage lived or did he die and that's why you can't see it being a direct sequel?

In the movie he lives. At the end he is arrested, but ends up getting released. The implication is that whilst he does what he does, sometimes he facilitates arms deals to certain foreign factions that help US interests.

I change my mind. If they get Cage back to play the titular character, they could absolutely make a fantastic story out of it jumping forward in time.

It's funny because whilst he is a fictional character, he is based on a handful of actual arms dealers, one of the most prominent being Viktor Bout, a.k.a "The Merchant of Death", who made headlines recently after being released by the US in a prisoner swap with Russia for WNBA basketball player Brittney Griner.

According to Wiki, after returning to Russia he entered politics. Seems like a legit political system.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/5/2023, 9:40 am

Rusty wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

In the movie he lives. At the end he is arrested, but ends up getting released. The implication is that whilst he does what he does, sometimes he facilitates arms deals to certain foreign factions that help US interests.

I change my mind. If they get Cage back to play the titular character, they could absolutely make a fantastic story out of it jumping forward in time.

It's funny because whilst he is a fictional character, he is based on a handful of actual arms dealers, one of the most prominent being Viktor Bout, a.k.a "The Merchant of Death", who made headlines recently after being released by the US in a prisoner swap with Russia for WNBA basketball player Brittney Griner.

According to Wiki, after returning to Russia he entered politics. Seems like a legit political system.

Lord of War seems to be one of very few Cage movies that isn't constantly available on streaming. I haven't seen it in so long that I remember nothing, so I need to revisit it.

An international arms trafficker for a lady basketball player was a very America trade. 

My government to Russia with that exchange:

Lords of War (Nicolas Cage Sequel to Shoot in Morocco in 2024) 106bd3d8-5889-4e19-abe8-9be99faa76bc_text

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 12/5/2023, 11:09 am

I just tried looking for it on YouTube, pretty sure it was available for free a couple of weeks ago but now it's gone.

War Dogs was another good one that was also hilarious and based on a true story.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/5/2023, 11:25 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:I just tried looking for it on YouTube, pretty sure it was available for free a couple of weeks ago but now it's gone.

War Dogs was another good one that was also hilarious and based on a true story.

I don't watch free movies because I don't do ads. I'm too pretentious for that shit.

Now, if you'll excuse me I must go and watch some more Rick and Morty.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 12/5/2023, 4:11 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
Lord of War seems to be one of very few Cage movies that isn't constantly available on streaming. I haven't seen it in so long that I remember nothing, so I need to revisit it.

Same here. I've searched for it multiple times over the years and it never shows up on any service. It did get a Blu-Ray release here about 10 years ago but it was a small run and has been out of print for nearly as long.

It got a 4K release in the US and Europe so I'm going that route.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down