BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office)

2 posters

Go down

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Empty The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office)

Post by WyldeMan 7/3/2018, 4:18 pm

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Alan-t12
New Line is moving ahead with its movie prequel to “The Sopranos,” hiring Alan Taylor to direct “The Many Saints Of Newark.”

New Line set up the feature film in March when it bought the script from “The Sopranos” creator David Chase.

The film is set in the 1960s in Newark, New Jersey, amid conflicts between African-American and Italian residents. Over four days of rioting in July, 1967, 26 people died and hundreds were injured in Newark.

“The Sopranos” was set in contemporary New Jersey, ran for six seasons on HBO between 1999 and 2007. The acclaimed series nabbed 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, including one for Taylor for directing.

Lawrence Konner, who worked on “The Sopranos” with Chase, is a co-writer for the project. Chase will also produce the film. Chase Films’ Nicole Lambert will serve as executive producer.

“The Many Saints Of Newark” is expected to feature younger versions of some of the characters from “The Sopranos.” James Gandolfini, the star of the series, died in 2013.

Taylor directed nine of the 86 episodes of “The Sopranos.” His other TV credits include “Game of Thrones,” “Mad Men,” “Boardwalk Empire” and “Electric Dreams.” His feature directing credits include “Thor: The Dark World” and “Terminator Genisys.”

Last edited by WyldeMan on 3/22/2022, 10:42 am; edited 10 times in total
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Empty Re: The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office)

Post by WyldeMan 1/22/2019, 6:19 pm

‘Sopranos’ Prequel Film Finds Young Tony: Michael Gandolfini Is Chip Off Old Block
The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Michae10
EXCLUSIVE: The Sopranos creator David Chase has found his Tony Soprano. Michael Gandolfini has been set to play the future New Jersey organized crime family boss in The Many Saints of Newark, the feature prequel to Chase’s groundbreaking TV series The Sopranos that Alan Taylor is directing for New Line.

He is the son of James Gandolfini, who originated the iconic role of Tony Soprano and won multiple Emmys, SAG Awards and a Golden Globe in an anti-hero role that made possible later bad guy turns like Bryan Cranston’s in Breaking Bad and future HBO series including Deadwood, Westworld and Game of Thrones. He died in 2013.

The late actor’s son has been gaining experience and had a breakout turn on the HBO drama series The Deuce. His resemblance to Tony Soprano is uncanny. The filmmakers engaged in an extensive audition process to find the young Tony before Gandolfini won the role. Insiders said that his screen presence, mastery of Tony’s mannerisms, coupled with his resemblance to the elder Gandolfini made him the standout choice for the role because no one there understood the character better, the insiders said.

He joins Alessandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Jon Bernthal, Billy Magnussen and Corey Stoll in the ensemble drama that is set in the era of the ’60s Newark riots, when African Americans and Italians of that city were at each others throats. It was especially lethal among gangsters from each group. The story focuses on Dickie Moltisanti (Nivola), a mentor to young Tony as his own father, Johnny Boy, was grooming his son on a pathway to organized crime prominence. There are expected to be call-backs and shout-outs to numerous other series characters in the film, which is set in the earlier time period.

“It’s a profound honor to continue my dad’s legacy while stepping into the shoes of a young Tony Soprano,” Gandolfini said in a statement to Deadline. “I’m thrilled that I’m going to have the opportunity to work with David Chase and the incredible company of talent he has assembled for The Many Saints of Newark.”

The Sopranos just celebrated the 20th anniversary of its launch and is widely regarded as one of the greatest drama series ever, running six seasons from 1999-2007 and winning 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, five Golden Globes and Peabody Awards for its first two seasons.

Chase wrote the feature script with series cohort Lawrence Konner, and both are producing. Nicole Lambert (Chase Films) and Marcus Viscidi are the exec producers.

Taylor directed nine Sopranos episodes, and has done episodes of Game of Thrones also and Thor: The Dark World. He won the Emmy in 2007 for The Sopranos episode “Kennedy and Heidi.”

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Empty Re: The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office)

Post by Rusty 1/22/2019, 6:38 pm

Damn. I know it's his old man and all, but they're some big shoes to fill.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/22/2019, 6:43 pm

Rusty wrote:Damn. I know it's his old an and all, but they're some big shoes to fill.

I am entirely unfamiliar with Michael's work and hadn't even heard him mentioned since his father died but his casting as Little Tony intrigues me because I'd long been expecting Chase to go much younger for the prequel, more of the childhood age we saw Tony in the flashbacks from the series but this version is old enough to get up to some real shit as he learns the family business and that intrigues me even more.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 1/22/2019, 6:55 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
Rusty wrote:Damn. I know it's his old an and all, but they're some big shoes to fill.

I am entirely unfamiliar with Michael's work and hadn't even heard him mentioned since his father died but his casting as Little Tony intrigues me because I'd long been expecting Chase to go much younger for the prequel, more of the childhood age we saw Tony in the flashbacks from the series but this version is old enough to get up to some real shit as he learns the family business and that intrigues me even more.

I'm thinking/hoping it will be around the time of the story Ralphie told Jackie Jr of when Tony and Jackie Sr knocked over a card game, but Ralphie had to stay back because he had the clap. He always said that's what put them both on the map.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/22/2019, 7:36 pm

Rusty wrote:I'm thinking/hoping it will be around the time of the story Ralphie told Jackie Jr of when Tony and Jackie Sr knocked over a card game, but Ralphie had to stay back because he had the clap. He always said that's what put them both on the map.

Oh shit, I forgot that story! That's gotta be when it's set.

I really hope Jon Bernthal is playing a young Paulie or Silvio. Cool

Wiki says Michael was born in 2000 so it's possible this is a high school Tony or he might play a little older but check out what I came across:

The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Mv5bzj10

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/27/2019, 5:59 pm

Ray Liotta Returns To Mob Movie Fold With ‘Sopranos’ Prequel
The Many Saints of Newark ($12 Million Worldwide Box office) Rexfea13
Ray Liotta is negotiating to join the cast of The Many Saints Of Newark, The Sopranos prequel film that New Line will put into production by spring. He joins Alessandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Jon Bernthal, Billy Magnussen, Corey Stoll, and Michael Gandolfini, latter of whom will play the Tony Soprano role originated by his late father James Gandolfini. Alan Taylor is directing.

Scripted by The Sopranos creator David Chase and Lawrence Konner, the prequel is set in the era of the Newark riots in the ’60s, when African Americans and Italian Americans in the city were at each other’s throats. That clash became lethal when it spread to gangsters of each group. Liotta’s place in mob movie history is stamped by his portrayal of Henry Hill in the Martin Scorsese-directed Goodfellas. He also grew up in Newark in the ’60s, and has a personal connection to the story.

“I am thrilled to be working with David Chase and Alan Taylor on The Many Saints of Newark,” Liotta said. “David’s talent is unmatched and the directing of Alan Taylor makes this even more exciting. I respect them both immensely and look forward to making this special project with New Line.”

Liotta joining the film continues the tradition of Goodfellas cast members who appeared in the series — 27 in total including stars Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli, Frank Vincent and Tony Sirico among them — but being set in The Many Saints of Newark puts Liotta in rarified territory, or at least a cool trivia question.

In Deadline’s 4-part look back for the 20th anniversary of the iconic HBO show, Joe Pantoliano recalled that when he was first offered the role of Ralph Cifaretto, HBO wasn’t going to pay his quote, and the deal didn’t work out. They cast a different actor, but when that didn’t work well, they changed their mind and Pantoliano said he was reconsidered. But only after a list of other Goodfellas actors were talked to, including Liotta. That is reminiscent of Robert De Niro and The Godfather. De Niro at one point was going to play Paulie Gatto, the driver of Don Corleone whose decision to call in sick the day the Don was gunned down by rivals, led his cold to be a fatal affliction. Because John Martino played that role, De Niro was able to play the much larger role of young Don Corleone in The Godfather Part II.

The filmmakers are keeping quiet on details for the project and the roles most actors are playing in The Many Saints of Newark, but it is known that some of the beloved characters from The Sopranos will appear in the film. The Sopranos ran six seasons and won 21 Primetime Emmys, five Golden Globes and Peabody Awards. Chase and Konner are producing The Many Saints of Newark and Chase Films’ Nicole Lambert is exec producing along with Marcus Viscidi.

Liotta most recently starred with Jennifer Lopez in the NBC drama Shades of Blue and will next be seen in Charlie Day’s directorial debut El Tonto opposite Jason Sudeikis, John Malkovich and Kate Beckinsale, and the untitled Noah Baumbach Netflix film, opposite Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 2/27/2019, 8:10 pm

Hell yes. Liotta!
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 6/29/2021, 6:11 pm

‘The Many Saints Of Newark’ Trailer: First Look At ‘The Sopranos’ Prequel
Warner Bros and New Line on Tuesday released the official trailer for The Many Saints of Newark, the prequel to HBO’s iconic mob drama The Sopranos. The studio just shifted the release date from September to October 1, 2021.

Alan Taylor directed the pic, which was produced and co-written by series creator David Chase.

The film, set in the era of the Newark riots in the 1960s, focuses on Dickie Moltisanti (Nivola), the father of Michael Imperioli’s original-series Christopher Moltisanti and a mentor to young Tony (Michael Gandolfini) as his own father, Johnny Boy, was grooming his son on a pathway to organized crime prominence.

Gandolfini is the son of the late Sopranos star James Gandolfini and is kicks off the trailer – along with a voice-over of his dad’s Tony Soprano.

Billy Magnussen is Paulie Walnuts, Corey Stoll is Junior Soprano and John Magaro is Silvio Dante. The cast also includes Leslie Odom Jr., Jon Bernthal, Michela De Rossi, John Magaro, Ray Liotta and Vera Farmiga.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/4/2021, 4:52 am

That looks so fucking good.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/4/2021, 4:43 pm

Rusty wrote:That looks so fucking good.

Yes it does and it looks even better than I'd hoped.  

I'm really looking forward to seeing Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti. That's a character I always wanted to know more about and it would appear that he plays a significant role in The Saints. I'm also curious as to how he really dies, we only know what Tony told Christopher when he had him wack that retired cop but I never believed him and now I'll likely finally get my answer as to if it was really Tony who killed him or not.

But I'm also very interested in seeing the younger versions of Silvio, Paulie and Big Pussy in their primes and all of who were featured in this first trailer.

What about you Rust? Any Sopranos characters you interested in seeing?

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/4/2021, 4:55 pm

I’m the same. Dickie Moltisanti is going to be interesting. It’s obvious Tony looked up to him early on.

All I’m worried about is the runtime. Hope it’s long enough.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/4/2021, 5:09 pm

Rusty wrote:I’m the same. Dickie Moltisanti is going to be interesting. It’s obvious Tony looked up to him early on.

All I’m worried about is the runtime. Hope it’s long enough.

Dickie will start a war and fuck up because he's Christopher's father and it's in the Moltisanti blood. I predict he's going to need killing in the end to bring about an end to the war and I think that Tony will be the only one who can get close enough to pull the trigger. 

I forgot to mention how excited I am to see Jon Bernthal as Johnny Boy Soprano, that's going to be awesome.

I've read nothing on the run time yet but if it's only two hours, then we're in trouble.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/4/2021, 7:22 pm

Cool tidbit I just learned. Moltisanti is Italian for Many Saints.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/5/2021, 8:13 am

Rusty wrote:Cool tidbit I just learned. Moltisanti is Italian for Many Saints.

I read that detail just yesterday when I was looking up the full cast list.

It was a giant flashing clue all of this time that Dickie would be the central figure of the movie.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/9/2021, 7:38 pm

I've watched this trailer four times in the last week, it's so good.

I'm still tripping out over how much Michael looks like his father, they've even got the same teeth.

I was reading an interview with Michael where he said he'd never even seen The Sopranos prior to his casting because his father never wanted him to see that side of him. That must have been eye opening...

Michael also said that he recorded four hours worth of Tony/Dr Melfi sessions and walked around New York playing them over and over everywhere he went to get a feel for the character.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/10/2021, 10:24 am

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/10/2021, 6:07 pm

Damn this is going to be good.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/24/2021, 3:21 pm

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/27/2021, 9:05 pm

I've been doing a Sopranos rewatch for the first time in probably a decade, in anticipation of Many Saints. I remembered many of the deaths but I'd forgotten just how completely selfish, petty and genuinely shitty every single character was. They are all such irredeemable narcissistic scumbags.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/29/2021, 3:18 pm

This Sopranos has been a fucking chore, no matter how much fast forwarding through the bullshit I do, I'm still struggling to get through because it's endless.

So much pointless family drama in a sea of bullshit, season after season while we are treated to very little actual mafia activity.

The Sopranos has not really held up for me after this watch and I'm suddenly reminded why David Chase hasn't done anything else in the last 15 years.

I'm feeling much less enthusiastic about The Many Saints now....

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 9/29/2021, 6:42 pm

WyldeMan wrote:This Sopranos has been a fucking chore, no matter how much fast forwarding through the bullshit I do, I'm still struggling to get through because it's endless.

So much pointless family drama in a sea of bullshit, season after season while we are treated to very little actual mafia activity.

The Sopranos has not really held up for me after this watch and I'm suddenly reminded why David Chase hasn't done anything else in the last 15 years.

I'm feeling much less enthusiastic about The Many Saints now....

I feel the same. I fast-forward through every Dr Melfi session (the only good ones are when Tony loses his shit), and almost every time Carmella is on screen. She becomes fucking unbearable during their first break-up where he goes and lives in the theatre room, and she never redeems herself.

Most episodes don't take longer then 20 minutes to finish. Some I might only get 5 minutes of actual TV viewing.

The upside of Saints being a movie is they it won't waste time with useless shit. It's telling one specific story, so it should be on point.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/29/2021, 8:43 pm

Rusty wrote:I feel the same. I fast-forward through every Dr Melfi session (the only good ones are when Tony loses his shit), and almost every time Carmella is on screen. She becomes fucking unbearable during their first break-up where he goes and lives in the theatre room, and she never redeems herself.

Most episodes don't take longer then 20 minutes to finish. Some I might only get 5 minutes of actual TV viewing.

The upside of Saints being a movie is they it won't waste time with useless shit. It's telling one specific story, so it should be on point.

Carmela, Meadow, Livia, Janice, every single female Soprano character is a fucking nightmare. I'm always reaching for the remote.

I don't mind the Melfi scenes too much but I always had a thing for Lorraine Braco but Tony bitched and moaned way too often, he was always crying over his narcissistic petty bullshit. Nobody was allowed to feel any emotions other than him and he was such a fuckin crybaby. I was really happy when he got popped but I also like to imagine that the whole Soprano clan died at that diner table too.

I hope they don't shoehorn in too many Sopranos side characters into Saints, just because they were around in Tony's youth. I want a straight gangster film like the ones I grew up in.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/1/2021, 8:58 am

I finished Sopranos last night and watched Many Saints this morning.

I was expecting so much more and again Chase opted for family drama over making a gangster movie about a mob war.

I thought teenage Tony would have a much bigger role but he didn't even show up until nearly an hour into the two hour movie.

Johnny Boy, Silvio and Paulie had like three scenes in all. 

Tony hanging out at Holsten's diner where he will one day be whacked, did amuse me though.

Junior had Dickie killed just because he laughed at him???? That was it?!?! That's the whole reason Dickie died? How fuckin fuckin stupid and very David Chase. You can't get any pettier than that and Junior was apparently the Fredo of the Soprano family??? I never really got that impression on the series.

Turns out the DiMeo Crime Family was always run by fuckin idiots....

Johnny Boy shooting Livia's beehive and Dickie dying with the tv trays was about the entirely of connections between Saints to Sopranos.

The Many Saints feels like just another missed opportunity in the long line of David Chase's decisions. Ultimately for me, Saints is just another forgettable modern day drama instead of a solid new addition to the gangster genre.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 10/4/2021, 6:28 am

WyldeMan wrote:I finished Sopranos last night and watched Many Saints this morning.

I was expecting so much more and again Chase opted for family drama over making a gangster movie about a mob war.

I thought teenage Tony would have a much bigger role but he didn't even show up until nearly an hour into the two hour movie.

Johnny Boy, Silvio and Paulie had like three scenes in all. 

Tony hanging out at Holsten's diner where he will one day be whacked, did amuse me though.

Junior had Dickie killed just because he laughed at him???? That was it?!?! That's the whole reason Dickie died? How fuckin fuckin stupid and very David Chase. You can't get any pettier than that and Junior was apparently the Fredo of the Soprano family??? I never really got that impression on the series.

Turns out the DiMeo Crime Family was always run by fuckin idiots....

Johnny Boy shooting Livia's beehive and Dickie dying with the tv trays was about the entirely of connections between Saints to Sopranos.

The Many Saints feels like just another missed opportunity in the long line of David Chase's decisions. Ultimately for me, Saints is just another forgettable modern day drama instead of a solid new addition to the gangster genre.

I can't reply to what you're talking about, but I will say, I've tried to watch this 3 times now, and each time I get to the same point and decide I have zero fucking interest in going forward. It may be only 15 minutes or so in, and the young black kid is running for help and gets gunned down in the Army recruiting office, and I couldn't give a fuck.

I watched the show, and loved it. Nothing I've seen in this beginning matters. David Chase can cry all he wants about wanting a theatrical release, had COVID not happened, this still would have bombed. It's hard to push through. If this was a 5-6 episode mini-series, I'd be ok. But if this is his idea of a cinematic experience? Get fucked.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/4/2021, 8:59 am

Rusty wrote:I can't reply to what you're talking about, but I will say, I've tried to watch this 3 times now, and each time I get to the same point and decide I have zero fucking interest in going forward. It may be only 15 minutes or so in, and the young black kid is running for help and gets gunned down in the Army recruiting office, and I couldn't give a fuck.

I watched the show, and loved it. Nothing I've seen in this beginning matters. David Chase can cry all he wants about wanting a theatrical release, had COVID not happened, this still would have bombed. It's hard to push through. If this was a 5-6 episode mini-series, I'd be ok. But if this is his idea of a cinematic experience? Get fucked.

It was a massive struggle for me to sit through as well, despite the shorter running time.

Despite some solid casting, this was just a forgettable piece of shit and as such, Chase has accomplished nothing with Many Saints other than to reaffirm his ability to turn out nothing but bad shit.

Chase is always crying about something, his interviews are always about how he's being victimized by the studio. He comes across like an angry and bitter old bastard who's still fighting for relevancy while forcing all of his mommy issues into his projects and onto the viewers.

Seriously though Chase just never shuts the fuck up about his mother. As it turns out, Chase is the real life version of the whiny, cry baby Tony we always saw in Melfi's sessions.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/13/2021, 9:18 am

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down