BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017)

+3
UltimateMarvel
Tyger
WyldeMan
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 Empty Re: Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017)

Post by WyldeMan 9/15/2015, 12:11 pm

ForeverBlu wrote:Wylde's favorite actress.

LOL!

They just had to make this Beauty and the Beast didn't they?

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu 9/15/2015, 1:12 pm

Not a fan of Five Head Green?

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/7/2015, 8:40 pm

RUMOR: These Are The Three Time Periods WONDER WOMAN Will Take Place In
Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 Zz0uec10
While we'll meet Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman for the first time in next year's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, very little is known about what we should expect from her 2017 solo outing. Well, Den of Geek claims to have the scoop on the time periods that her movie will take place in, and it appears as if Warner Bros. are now planning on exploring Diana Prince's adventures through time in just the one release instead of three. Apparently, it's likely that each act of the movie will take place in a different time period (which could be a mess if not handled well), and those are as follows: 

The first setting will be Themyscira, the idyllic island Wonder Woman has called home since her adventures began in the 1940s. The second period is World War I - the specific year we've been given is 1916, which places it right in the middle of that conflict. The movie will then move to the modern day, where it will tie into the events of Justice League Part One, out at the end of 2017 and also set to star Gadot's Wonder Woman.

This is an interesting decision, but one which makes more sense than having two movies stuck in the past and not moving into the iconic hero's present day adventures until the early 2020s! With Wonder Woman set to be released before the first Justice League, using this one to help set up the events of that in some way should work pretty well, but we're going to have to wait and see. 

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 10/24/2015, 8:28 am

Will *SPOILER* Show Up In WONDER WOMAN?; Heavy New Plot Details Revealed
Next year, Diana Prince will make her long-awaited big-screen debut in Zack Snyder's Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice and as a follow-up, in 2017, Wonder Woman will become the first female superhero since Elektra to receive her own solo adventure as the DC Extended Universe expands its horizons.

Not much is known about her solo feature yet, outside of some potentially fabricated rumors, but what we do know for sure is that Gal Gadot (Fast Five) will be portraying Princess Diana, Chris Pine (Star Trek) has been cast as Steve Trevor, and Patty Jenkins (Monster) is directing with a script from Jason Fuchs (Pan).

Well, it looks like it's about that time to throw some more kindling onto the fire. A new report, which just to be safe should likely be labeled as a rumor, from JoBlo has revealed a ton of potentially interesting details about Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman film. First off, the film will take place in two key timeframes: World War 1 and then Modern Day. It's said to follow the comic book extremely closely with the report even going as far to describe her as the Thor of the DCEU.

As for adversaries, Circe and Ares will in fact be the villains of the picture with Ares acting more of a "puppet master" and working with Circe behind-the-scenes. Ares will don his classic mythological armor, while Circe will wear a cloth-based purple outfit. No word on casting frontrunners yet, although it's probably still a tad early for that. Additionally, get ready to see a ton of mythological/mystical creatrues throughout the course of the film and to raise things to another level, at one point, Ares will unleash an army of red or green demonic monster beasts with the full horns/wings package to keep Wonder Woman from stopping Circe. Also, Circe, who will primarily be rooted in sorcery, will transform into a Chimera-like monster during her final battle with Wonder Woman. Now, that's pretty heavy.

As for the plot, it sounds like it'll be fairly basic, more or less following the story of Diana & Steve in modern day trying to stop Circe, who with the help of Ares, is in the process of manipulating high-level government officials into starting World War III. The story will shift to the World War I era when Diana shares with Steve details about her first battle with Ares and how she defeated him. It's unclear whether the story will be told at the beginning of the film or whether it will be told as a flashback later on. 

The Invisible Jet will be present to some extent, but won't be used too frequently as the film's focus is expected to primarily be on its fight sequences. The Jet's major scene will be when Diana & Steve leave Paradise Island for the first time. Also, for those of you wondering, the Invisible Jet will not show up in Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

Okay, are you done digesting all of that? Let's hope you are, because here's where the report gets really heavy. Like Suicide Squad before it, Wonder Woman will also take place a few months before the events of Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice. Why WB/DC is opting for this prequel-esque direction with their universe's solo features is a bit uncertain, but it should be interesting nonetheless.

And on a final note, it sounds like the Batman will have at least some sort of presence in Wonder Woman. This doesn't necessarily mean Ben Affleck (Gone Girl) will show up in the film as the Dark Knight's appearance could simply be a quick obscured shot of him observing from a roof or somewhere similar. He'll witness Wonder Woman in battle against Ares and will also see her rescuing civilians. Following the film's finale, the Batman will approach Wonder Woman, whether this is in a post-credits sequence is yet-to-be seen, but by the end of the film, he will have let her know that he's aware of her existence and will have formed some sort of relationship/alliance with her, which will directly lead into the events of Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 10/24/2015, 10:45 am

They're filming everything out of order.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 11/21/2015, 9:15 am

Robin Wright, David Thewlis, Danny Huston & More Join
Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 Mwxzn710

Principal photography is underway on Warner Bros. Pictures’ Wonder Woman feature film, the highly anticipated action adventure from director Patty Jenkins (“Monster,” AMC’s “The Killing”), starring Gal Gadot (the “Fast & Furious” movies) in the role of Diana Prince/Wonder Woman. The character will make her big screen debut this spring in “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” but the new film will mark her first time headlining a feature.

The film also stars Chris Pine (the “Star Trek” films) as Captain Steve Trevor, Robin Wright (“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” Netflix’s “House of Cards”), Danny Huston (“Clash of the Titans,” “X-Men Origins: Wolverine”), David Thewlis (the “Harry Potter” films, “The Theory of Everything”), Ewen Bremner (“Exodus: Gods and Kings,” “Snowpiercer”), Saïd Taghmaoui (“American Hustle”), Elena Anaya (“The Skin I Live In”) and Lucy Davis (“Shaun of the Dead”).

The film is being produced by Charles Roven, Zack Snyder and Deborah Snyder, with Richard Suckle, Stephen Jones, Wesley Coller, Geoff Johns and Rebecca Roven serving as executive producers.

Joining Jenkins behind the camera are director of photography Matthew Jensen (“Chronicle,” “Fantastic Four,” HBO’s “Game of Thrones”), Oscar-nominated production designer Aline Bonetto (“Amélie,” “A Very Long Engagement,” “Pan”), and Oscar-winning editor Martin Walsh (“Chicago,” “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit,” “V for Vendetta”), and Oscar-winning costume designer Lindy Hemming (“The Dark Knight” trilogy, “Topsy-Turvy”).

Principal photography will take place on location in the UK, France and Italy.

Set to open in 2017, the Wonder Woman feature film is based on characters created by William Moulton Marston, appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment. It will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 11/21/2015, 1:11 pm

I was going to post that new poster but I see you've already added it. Looks nice!

I wonder if Wright will play an Amazonion or maybe even her mother.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/15/2016, 4:32 pm

Connie Nielsen just signed on as Queen Hippolyta.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/20/2016, 11:22 am

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/20/2016, 11:47 am

Too early to tell but I like what I see.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/20/2016, 2:30 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Too early to tell but I like what I see.

Every time I see Gal in that costume all I can think is how much I wish they cast my very long standing top choice to be Diana, Emily Blunt. Now that's a Queen. Cool

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/20/2016, 4:39 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Every time I see Gal in that costume all I can think is how much I wish they cast my very long standing top choice to be Diana, Emily Blunt. Now that's a Queen. Cool

Man, that would've been so awesome! When is she going to star in a superhero movie? I think she deserves one. I'm sure they can find something for her in Marvel or DC.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/21/2016, 11:08 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:Every time I see Gal in that costume all I can think is how much I wish they cast my very long standing top choice to be Diana, Emily Blunt. Now that's a Queen. Cool

Man, that would've been so awesome! When is she going to star in a superhero movie? I think she deserves one. I'm sure they can find something for her in Marvel or DC.

Blunt would also make an awesome Zatanna or Catwoman, basically just put her in something sexy and let her do her thing. Cool

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/21/2016, 2:32 pm

Yep! After Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario, she can more than handle action stuff.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/21/2016, 5:07 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Yep! After Edge of Tomorrow and Sicario, she can more than handle action stuff.

She needs her own franchise.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/15/2016, 12:28 pm

It’s Wonder Woman vs. Transformers on June 23, 2017

Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman just got some serious competition! Yesterday Paramount Pictures announced that it will release Transformers movies annually for at least the next three years, and Transformers 5 is going head-to-head with Wonder Woman on June 23, 2017.

This is a big deal because while they aren’t critically acclaimed, Transformers movies make bank at the box office. The last one, Transformers: Age of Extinction, made over $1.1 billion. It took this long to get a female lead superhero movie made because executives are worried that they won’t perform well at the box office. It’s important that Wonder Woman opens strong in 2017, which is why I like The Wrap’s Jeff Sneider’s suggestion.

"If I'm Warner Bros., I move up WONDER WOMAN to Mother's Day weekend 2017. Celebrate Wonder Women everywhere." - Jeff Sneider's twitter feed.

Mother’s Day weekend is in mid-May, so Warner Bros. would just have to move the movie up one month. “Celebrate Wonder Women everywhere”. I love it! It’ll be interesting to see what moves Warner Bros. makes, if any.

Warner Bros. was put in a similar situation with Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. It was originally supposed to open this May against Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War. They made the wise move of pushing up to March 25 to ensure it had the strongest box office run possible.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/15/2016, 1:49 pm

Fucking Transformers! Nobody is going to give a shit.....actually this is tough. Transformers is more popular so it could destroy WW in BO.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/15/2016, 3:05 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Fucking Transformers! Nobody is going to give a shit.....actually this is tough. Transformers is more popular so it could destroy WW in BO.

Tranformers: Return of the Baysplosions Razz

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 2/15/2016, 6:36 pm

I like the Transformers series. Not so much the last installment but with how popular Transformers is, Wonder Woman will certainly have its work cut out for it. heh heh "Baysplosions". I like that.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/16/2016, 9:18 pm

LOBO Movie Still On At WB; WONDER WOMAN Writer Jason Fuchs Will Pen The Script

According to The Wrap, Warner Bros. has hired Wonder Woman scribe Jason Fuchs to work on the script for their long-gestating Lobo movie. The last word we had on this one was back in 2012 when San Andreas director Brad Peyton signed on to helm the picture, but because there had been no news since then most of us assumed it was destined to remain in development hell.

Could the success of a certain R-rated X-Men spinoff be responsible for Lobo's revival? I'd say it's a safe enough bet.

Though Don Payne had written a script previously, apparently "Fuchs will start from scratch with his own take on Lobo".

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/24/2016, 12:05 pm

Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 Wonder10
This image unveils the trio of women who help raise young Diana, her mother Hippolyta played by Gladiator’s Connie Nielsen, and her military aunts General Antiope (Robin Wright) and Antiope’s lieutenant Menalippe (Force Majeure actress Lisa Loven Kongsli). Speaking with EW, Jenkins revealed that Diana is the only child on the island, and these three women have very different ways of raising her.

Hippolyta is protective and aims to keep Diana on Themyscira for as long as possible, while Wright’s Antiope feels she’s destined to be a warrior. When it came to crafting the fantastical costumes, however, Jenkins says she and costume designer Lindy Hemming wanted to approach the film differently:

“To me, they shouldn’t be dressed in armor like men,” Jenkins says of the women’s battle wear. “It should be different. It should be authentic and real—and appealing to women.”

Speaking more generally about the look and feel of the titular character, Jenkins was frank:

“I, as a woman, want Wonder Woman to be hot as hell, fight badass, and look great at the same time—the same way men want Superman to have huge pecs and an impractically big body. That makes them feel like the hero they want to be. And my hero, in my head, has really long legs.”

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu 3/24/2016, 2:28 pm

I like Robin and Connie, but NOPE!

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/24/2016, 2:36 pm

ForeverBlu wrote:I like Robin and Connie, but NOPE!

This is going to be huge.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/24/2016, 5:47 pm

It looks right to me. That's about as close as you can get Amazons and Themyscira.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/6/2016, 10:21 am

‘Wonder Woman’ Moved Up By 3 Weeks
Warner Bros Pictures unveiled a slew of release dates today and shifted a pair of high-profile pics. Jungle Book, which had been set for October 2017, has been pushed to October 19, 2018, and Wonder Woman now will bow three weeks earlier, on June 2, 2017, rather than June 23.

The shift  also puts more distance between Warner Bros’ pic — which had been titled Jungle Book: Origins — and Disney’s Jon Favreau-directed The Jungle Book, which hits theaters next weekend.

Wonder Woman had been slated to do battle against the fifth installment of Paramount’s multibillion-dollar Transformers juggernaut. The DC Comics stand-alone pic now will face off against Sony’s Bad Boys 3 and Fox’s kids book adaptation Captain Underpants.

Meanwhile, the studio teased an “Untitled WB Event Film” to take the old Jungle Book slot on October 6, 2017, and a pair of “Untitled DC Films” are set for October 5, 2018, and November 1, 2019. Fanboys and box office watchers, start your speculating.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/6/2016, 1:38 pm

Cool! Anything to speed up the release of these DC movies. I think it's going to be great and based on people's reaction to WW in BvS, this movie might be better received by the fans.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/6/2016, 2:01 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Cool! Anything to speed up the release of these DC movies. I think it's going to be great and based on people's reaction to WW in BvS, this movie might be better received by the fans.

Suicide Squad will hopefully turn the tide first cause this is still a long time off.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/12/2016, 10:41 pm

Warner Bros. Offers ‘Wonder Woman’ Footage, Touts ‘Expansive’ DC Comics Universe
There’s a lot more Superman and Batman coming to movie theaters.

Warner Bros. talked up the “expansive” nature of the DC Comics cinematic universe during a presentation to exhibitors at CinemaCon on Tuesday, while debuting footage from “Wonder Woman” that highlighted the Amazonian warrior princess beating up a platoon of World War I soldiers. There was also a brief glimpse of love interest Chris Pine atop a motorcycle, as well as Wonder Woman using her shield to deflect gunfire, and riding a horse, sword drawn and ready for action.

“We’re going to see her coming of age,” said director Patty Jenkins (“Monster”), during a video introduction.

The studio was also eager to talk up the box office results of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.”
Executives and star Ben Affleck kept mentioning that with more than $750 million in receipts, the film was a “big success.” That may have been more spin than genuine enthusiasm. Although the number is a big one, Warner Bros. spent hundreds of millions making and promoting the film, and some analysts argue that the fact that “Batman v Superman” will fall short of $1 billion globally makes it something of a disappointment. There were other problems, too: Critics hated the film and the response from fans was mixed.

But Warner Bros. is sticking with Zack Snyder, the “Batman v Superman” director, on “Justice League,” its upcoming super team adventure. The studio said that the superhero matchup was the first step in a bold plan to essentially make its own version of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In a video presentation highlighting these grand ambitions, production chief Greg Silverman said the film gave audiences, “the first real taste of this expanding universe.”

He added, “It’s exciting for the fans to see how interconnected all these universes are.”

Geoff Johns, chief creative officer of DC Entertainment, also said “Justice League” represented a big step forward, saying “bringing them on screen together is seismic.”

That will include a standalone Batman film, directed by Affleck, as well as solo outings for Justice League members Aquaman, Cyborg and the Flash.

The DC presentation ended on a high note with an ebullient Will Smith and the cast of “Suicide Squad,” a film about a team of super villains, taking the stage.

“What if Superman decided to fly down, rip off the roof of the White House and grab the president right out of the Oval Office,” a character asks in the extended trailer shown to the audience, setting up the film’s stakes. “Who would stop him?” The answer was a rag-tag group of amoral avengers, brought together by shadowy government operatives looking for an edge in a world of metahumans.

Smith promised that “Suicide Squad” will “fill those theaters up real thick,” while director and writer David Ayer pledged that “thirsty, hungry people are going to show up.”

That’s music to the ears of theater owners, who make most of their profits selling popcorn and over-sized sodas to consumers. After all, costumed heroes and villains are only exciting to exhibitors if they mean more geeks will buy snacks.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/9/2016, 12:23 pm

Wonder Woman began filming in November and finally wrapped today. Gal Gadot posted about it, she's going directly from this shoot to the already in progress Justice League. Seems like she's going to be spending the next few years doing nothing but building Wonder Woman's brand.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 5/9/2016, 2:19 pm

Cool! It's easier for her too probably exercise wise instead of coming from a long break. It won't be like that for Henry and Ben.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/23/2016, 3:07 pm

UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/23/2016, 3:12 pm

I'm more excited for this than I am of Justice League. I don't know, maybe it was the trailer.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/11/2017, 7:26 pm

My friends, I see this and I think there might be hope for the DCEU after all. WOW!!!!!!!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/11/2017, 9:05 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:

My friends, I see this and I think there might be hope for the DCEU after all. WOW!!!!!!!

All I see is another CGI shit-show.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 5/7/2017, 8:16 pm

This looks amazing! Much better than any of the DCEU movies released so far.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu 5/8/2017, 8:29 am

Sorry, Gal Gadot is not doing it for me.

PASS.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 5/8/2017, 5:54 pm

That looks fucking terrible.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 5/8/2017, 6:53 pm

HATERS!
Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 200
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/8/2017, 8:59 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:HATERS!

Wonder Woman (June 2nd, 2017) - Page 2 Photo
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 5/9/2017, 7:09 pm

lol I'm telling you, this won't be anything like BvS or Suicide Squad............I hope. You guys have me doubting myself now.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 5/9/2017, 7:28 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:lol I'm telling you, this won't be anything like BvS or Suicide Squad............I hope. You guys have me doubting myself now.

This will be DC's version of Thor. Completely forgettable.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu 5/9/2017, 8:34 pm

Marvel Cinematic Universe...

World building since 2008.

The DC Cinematic Universe...

Trying to World Build with Cliff Notes, crayons, paper clips and 
School paste. Since 2016.

Man of Steel was great, so it gets a pass.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/25/2017, 8:21 am

‘The Mummy,’ ‘Wonder Woman’ London Premieres Canceled Following Manchester Attack

Universal has canceled the London premiere for “The Mummy” following the attack in Manchester earlier in the week.

The studio released a statement on Thursday morning, ahead of the premiere which had been scheduled to take place on June 1.

“All of us at Universal have been devastated by the terror attack in Manchester and continue to stand with the community and country as it recovers. Out of respect to those affected by this tragedy we have decided not to move forward with the London premiere for ‘The Mummy’ scheduled to take place next week,” Universal’s statement said.

Alex Kurtzman directed “The Mummy,” which stars Tom Cruise and Sofia Boutella. The film is scheduled for release in the U.S. on June 9.

This announcement adds the film’s name to a list of movie events and shows that have been either delayed or canceled in the days following the attack that left 22 people dead. On Wednesday, Warner Bros. announced that the London premiere for “Wonder Woman” had been canceled. Ariana Grande canceled all the dates of her European tour through June 5, including two that had been scheduled to take place in London.

The suicide bombing took place on Monday night moments after Grande’s concert at the Manchester Arena. More than 60 people were injured in addition to the 22 who died.

On Tuesday, British Prime Minister Theresa May raised the terrorism threat level from “severe” to “critical” and said another attack on the United Kingdom may be “imminent.” Six men and one woman have been arrested in the U.K. so far in connection to the attack.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/31/2017, 1:05 pm

‘Wonder Woman’ Banned in Lebanon Due to Israeli Lead Gal Gadot
Lebanon officially banned “Wonder Woman” on Wednesday roughly two hours before the film was scheduled to screen in the country’s movie theaters.

The ban was prompted by a group called Campaign to Boycott Supporters of Israel – Lebanon, which pressured the government in Beirut to block the movie because lead actress Gal Gadot is Israeli. Lebanon is officially at war with Israel.

The “Wonder Woman” ban was announced on the official Twitter feed of Lebanon’s Grand Cinemas and confirmed by several other sources.

The decision was taken by a six-member committee of the Ministry of Economy. The ban is somewhat surprising because the film had already gone through Lebanon’s regular censorship process and because the same anti-Israeli organization had failed to persuade the Lebanese government to pull “Batman v. Superman,” in which Gadot also stars.

Also, a sneak preview of “Wonder Woman” on Tuesday evening, ahead of its premiere Wednesday, went off without incident.

The ban immediately drew ridicule from some within Lebanon, including popular blogger Elie Fares. “Can you also ban Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Viber, Starbucks, all smartphones and laptops?” Fares tweeted.

In his blog, Fares added: “Resist what? A movie about an iconic superhero who’s been part of pop culture for over 70 years. A movie in which the lead actress happens to be Israeli.”

There was no immediate comment from Vox Cinemas, a regional exhibitor that was set to release the film in Lebanon, or from Joseph Chakra & Sons, the licensee for Warner Bros. titles in the country.

The impact on box office of the “Wonder Woman” ban in Lebanon is expected to be negligible overall since it’s creating additional publicity for the film in the rest of the region and also internationally.

Lebanon, which has been officially at war with Israel for decades, has a law that encourages boycotts of Israeli products and bars Lebanese citizens from traveling to Israel or having contacts with Israelis.

On its Facebook page, the Campaign to Boycott Supporters of Israel – Lebanon said that Gadot was a soldier in the Israeli army and had praised Israel’s military actions during the 2014 war in Gaza.

However, many other films starring Gadot, including “Fast & Furious 6,” “Furious 7,” “Triple 9,” and “Knight & Day,” played in Lebanon and were box-office hits there.

Alaa Karkouti, a Cairo-based film analyst, said he did not expect the Lebanese ban to affect the release of “Wonder Woman” elsewhere in the Arab world. At this point, “Wonder Woman” is scheduled to roll out in the Gulf on June 1, in Morocco on June 8, and in Egypt shortly after June 24, the end of the holy month of Ramadan. In Egypt, foreign movies rarely play during Ramadan, and in any case, Egypt has a peace treaty with Israel. Politics are not expected to come into play in Morocco either. It is scheduled for release June 22 in Oman and June 29 in Bahrain.

Karkouti criticized the ban as “really out of order because it’s not about content.”

“It’s not an Israeli actress in a film about Israel or about a sensitive political issue,” he said. “If this is Lebanon’s policy, then Lebanon should also stop participating in international film festivals where Israeli films are shown.”

Censorship has been getting tighter in Lebanon recently. Earlier this year, Egyptian director Magdi Ahmed Ali’s “The Preacher” (“Mawlana”), a critique of corruption and fundamentalism, was initially banned, then allowed to be shown only after cuts were made.

In 2013, the Lebanese government heeded a call by the Arab League to ban Lebanese-born filmmaker Ziad Doueiri’s “The Attack” because it was shot in Israel. As a result, the film was “massively pirated across Lebanon where the DVD was prominently showcased and sold in all major pirate DVD stores there,” says the film’s Middle East distributor Gianluca Chakra, head of Dubai-based Front Row Entertainment.

“Did they actually stop people from watching the film? Absolutely not,” he said.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/31/2017, 1:07 pm

Six uptight assholes in a room decided to ban a movie for an entire country because of the race of the lead actress? Rolling Eyes
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next