BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax

+4
Tyger
Rusty
UltimateMarvel
WyldeMan
8 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 Empty Re: Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/15/2021, 12:00 pm

You mean you're seeing more in the top and bottom? Here is what I found when I looked this up:

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 AmkMSKD
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 Empty Re: Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax

Post by Tyger 2/15/2021, 12:08 pm

That’s from BvS and I don’t think there’s anything that shoots in native 2:39 unless it’s a setting in something digital, but I could be wrong. There are a lot of comparisons out there, but this is the first one I found when searching just now.

https://thedirect.com/article/justice-leagues-snyder-cut-will-require-unusual-viewing-due-to-unique-aspect-ratio
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/15/2021, 12:34 pm

So, it stays the same on the sides but adds a little more on the top and bottom. Still, not a smart choice for home viewers. I would rather lose at the top and bottom and keep it 16:9 or 1.85:1.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 2/15/2021, 2:25 pm

Perception is funny. I used to hate widescreen back in the day because I was used to TV of the time and pan and scan home video and never had a huge TV so watching letterboxed movies on a tube TV always made them so much smaller. While technically there was more image, it was all smaller so the black bars at the top and bottom seemed like wasted space.

Then once widescreen HD TV's and broadcasts/home video/streaming etc became normal, some people started hating square shaped videos and the black bars on the sides. Generally, that’s how most video that still exists like that was made. Old TV shows and really old movies. Sometimes with TV they did think about widescreen and can release widescreen versions, but those are pretty rare. Sometimes they crop arbitrarily and among that sometimes it can work and sometimes it doesn’t. I tried to watch Reno 911 on HBO Max and it’s cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 and awkward as fuck, only watched the first episode because of it.

With this, the whole IMAX ratio thing, you don’t get the opened up effect at home so like back in the day with letterbox on tube TV's, you’re seeing more picture, but it can feel like less because of the “wasted space” of the black bars on the sides. If you have a decent sized TV and watch in the dark it’s really not that bad though.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/15/2021, 9:39 pm

Tyger wrote:Perception is funny. I used to hate widescreen back in the day because I was used to TV of the time and pan and scan home video and never had a huge TV so watching letterboxed movies on a tube TV always made them so much smaller. While technically there was more image, it was all smaller so the black bars at the top and bottom seemed like wasted space.

Then once widescreen HD TV's and broadcasts/home video/streaming etc became normal, some people started hating square shaped videos and the black bars on the sides. Generally, that’s how most video that still exists like that was made. Old TV shows and really old movies. Sometimes with TV they did think about widescreen and can release widescreen versions, but those are pretty rare.  Sometimes they crop arbitrarily and among that sometimes it can work and sometimes it doesn’t. I tried to watch Reno 911 on HBO Max and it’s cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 and awkward as fuck, only watched the first episode because of it.

With this, the whole IMAX ratio thing, you don’t get the opened up effect at home so like back in the day with letterbox on tube TV's, you’re seeing more picture, but it can feel like less because of the “wasted space” of the black bars on the sides. If you have a decent sized TV and watch in the dark it’s really not that bad though.

I get it. Personally, 1.66:1 would only be acceptable for me in a very large screen like you say, larger than your average 55" or 65" TV screen. I might just have to use my projector to watch this movie. I found even more screen shots here that shows the differences and various aspect ratios.

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 EPYqKC_UcAIs6Hr?format=jpg&name=small

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 Ec5gBHVU0AEUsrL?format=jpg&name=small
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/15/2021, 11:26 am

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/15/2021, 12:20 pm

Watched that yesterday, can’t wait
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/16/2021, 10:53 am

I've watched Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and BvS Extended, in prep for this.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/17/2021, 3:33 pm

There’s a red carpet event at 8 PST and then the movie goes live at midnight
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/17/2021, 6:34 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I've watched Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and BvS Extended, in prep for this.

I think I remember you watching Man of Steel but is this the first time you've seen the others?
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/17/2021, 8:44 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:I've watched Wonder Woman, Man of Steel and BvS Extended, in prep for this.

I think I remember you watching Man of Steel but is this the first time you've seen the others?

I've seen Man of Steel two times since original release and I feel like it really held up quite well after all these years and a third viewing. I had not seen WW or BvS extended before but since all are available on HBO Max, I figured why not?

I didn't much care for WW and felt like lesbo island was totally underrepresented in favor or discussion of Steve Trevor's "above average size". I didn't hate WW and I thought Robin Wright looked damn good but I didn't really connect with the movie and felt it was all around lacking.

When I first watched BvS I hated the theatrical cut so badly that I quite watching DC movies for the last five years. The extended cut did make some big improvements but it's still a movie that culminates in a huge fight between two legends that basically ends in "Wait, you're mom is called Martha? Mine too! Did we just become best friends?"

However, since I never watched the theatrical cut of Justice League, I am missing some big pieces of the rest of the franchise puzzle all these years later. Though as it turns out with the Snyder Cut, maybe I made the wise choice in waiting.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/18/2021, 7:16 am

I think Wonder Woman is the best "current gen" DC movie so far. The second one is questionable to me.

I have low hopes for this Snyder cut because I'm not a fan of his style. But I'll give it a go because I like the Justice League. I might be skipping around.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/18/2021, 8:54 am

joey con carne wrote:I think Wonder Woman is the best "current gen" DC movie so far. The second one is questionable to me.

I have low hopes for this Snyder cut because I'm not a fan of his style. But I'll give it a go because I like the Justice League. I might be skipping around.

You'd rank WW over MoS? 

I still haven't seen WW1984 because it's not currently on HBO Max but it will cycle back in a few months and maybe I'll check it then but I'm in no rush.

Snyder's movies are a whole lot of style over substance in most cases but every once in a long while you get a MoS or Dawn of the Dead.

However, I don't expect JL to suddenly be a masterpiece just because it got twice as long though I am hoping for some decent resolution to the stories started in BvS.

I don't expect to suddenly feel excitement over superhero movies again and I still have no interest in the upcoming Twilight Batman but I'm still willing to give Snyder one more chance.

How do you guys feel about Aquaman? Just asking cause it's also on Max and wondering if it's worth a bother.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/18/2021, 9:18 am

Aquaman was good. I would rank it second to Wonder Woman. I would say it is a tie with Man of Steel. Yea, I do like Wonder Woman more than Man of Steel. : )

I would say you should watch Aquaman just to "close the loop" with the Justice League characters. It's not the greatest but not too shabby. I enjoyed it.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/18/2021, 10:50 am

joey con carne wrote:Aquaman was good. I would rank it second to Wonder Woman. I would say it is a tie with Man of Steel. Yea, I do like Wonder Woman more than Man of Steel. : )

I would say you should watch Aquaman just to "close the loop" with the Justice League characters. It's not the greatest but not too shabby. I enjoyed it.

Really? I remember loving MoS right from the jump and thinking the future of DC movies was so bright and then everything that came next only left me so disappointed, that I skipped watching MoS again for years while I avoided all other new DC movies. For me, I didn't feel like WW was a movie I'd bother revisiting a second time.

I have no expectations for Aquaman, the trailers always made me think I'd hate it but I'll see how I'm feeling once I tackle four hours of the Snyder cut and whether or not I'm still able to handle more Momoa as fish boy.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/18/2021, 1:22 pm

I agree with Joey, Man of Steel and Wonder Woman are the best ones out of the bunch. As for Wonder Woman 1984, I liked it but the first one is way better overall.

Aquaman was good too and I would put it at 3rd place. Because it's Aquaman, I had such low expectations but I was impressed with what they were able to do with the underwater stuff, how Atlantis looked, and all the creativity behind it all but expect a lot of special effects.

I don't like Snyder's look for DC too, it's very Watchmen in tone. I think they did too much in very few movies. BvS really put it on a nose dive and I came out of theaters really disliking it. After the Martha thing, I still remember the guy sitting next to me going "Seriously?" and I just laughed.

I've read some of the reviews and this 4 hour cut is more fleshed out in comparison to Joss's but it's just more of the same. Guess we'll find out soon...
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/18/2021, 10:16 pm

Those reviewers don’t know shit. This was easily the best. I’m not going to call it a masterpiece or anything, but it was damn good. Even the things that are the same from the Joss version are still different, it’s crazy.

Aquaman (the movie) was fun, but since they reinstated a bunch of stuff in this JL, a lot of things don’t match anymore. Hell, there’s a continuity error just in JL with Aquaman.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/19/2021, 2:31 pm

Watched it last night. It was definitely way better than the theatrical version, essentially the same story but more fleshed out as expected with the run time so the reviews weren't exactly wrong. Could have been 30 mins shorter, all the slow motion stuff, certain unnecessary scenes, and the stuff at the end was not needed in my opinion. If there aren't sequels then why show that at all and I think those were shot recently with the Joker too.

Cyborg has a lot more scenes in this one and that was very much needed, gave more development to the character for sure.

There were a lot of inconsistency with Aquaman to say the least. lol I would have fixed those than add new scenes to the end of the movie.

A couple of new Flash scenes were added and it was nice to see him use the Speed Force at the end. In the theatrical cut, he was only humor but here he actually has good dialogue and brings value to the team. He still runs weird though.

Spoiler:

Overall, it was just better. I wish the studio never intervened, I fucking hate that shit. This should have been the only cut that exists.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/19/2021, 3:00 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Watched it last night. It was definitely way better than the theatrical version, essentially the same story but more fleshed out as expected with the run time so the reviews weren't exactly wrong. Could have been 30 mins shorter, all the slow motion stuff, certain unnecessary scenes, and the stuff at the end was not needed in my opinion. If there aren't sequels then why show that at all and I think those were shot recently with the Joker too.

Cyborg has a lot more scenes in this one and that was very much needed, gave more development to the character for sure.

There were a lot of inconsistency with Aquaman to say the least. lol I would have fixed those than add new scenes to the end of the movie.

A couple of new Flash scenes were added and it was nice to see him use the Speed Force at the end. In the theatrical cut, he was only humor but here he actually has good dialogue and brings value to the team. He still runs weird though.

Spoiler:

Overall, it was just better. I wish the studio never intervened, I fucking hate that shit. This should have been the only cut that exists.

The new cut was 243 minutes long and Superman was still only in the last 80 minutes of them. Not cool Snyder! So many long slow mo shots of nothing, it feels like Snyder is this generations Terence Malick.

Never cared for Cyborg and I'm not about to start now.

What were the Aquaman inconsistencies that I missed? I liked this version of Arthur way more than Cyborg or Flash.

Barry was basically Felicity Smoak and I hated him even more than I'd spent the last six years imaging that I would.

Overall the Snyder cut was a very bleak 4 hour movie that set up sequels that aren't coming and so it feels like a let down in many regards.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/19/2021, 7:53 pm

WyldeMan wrote:The new cut was 243 minutes long and Superman was still only in the last 80 minutes of them. Not cool Snyder! So many long slow mo shots of nothing, it feels like Snyder is this generations Terence Malick.

Yep, too many slow mo shots. And I do wish we had more Henry/Superman as well, I hope this isn't the last time we see him as Superman. I feel like he didn't get enough opportunity to play the character because of Snyder's decision from Man of Steel to this.

WyldeMan wrote:What were the Aquaman inconsistencies that I missed? I liked this version of Arthur way more than Cyborg or Flash.

There is so much, I don't know where to begin. Arthur is still Arthur but the narrative is different, you'll see when you watch the movie. You might even like Arthur more after Aquaman, I thought he did a great job.

WyldeMan wrote:Barry was basically Felicity Smoak and I hated him even more than I'd spent the last six years imaging that I would.

For me, he improved over the theatrical cut. Personality is still off, I prefer Grant's Barry a lot more personality wise as it's much more closer to the comics.

WyldeMan wrote:Overall the Snyder cut was a very bleak 4 hour movie that set up sequels that aren't coming and so it feels like a let down in many regards.

I can't say I disagree. Also, I would have cut out the Epilogue stuff and Martian Manhunter as well. Without sequels, a lot of stuff was not needed. What did you think about my spoiler question above? Huge plot hole!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/19/2021, 10:19 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Yep, too many slow mo shots. And I do wish we had more Henry/Superman as well, I hope this isn't the last time we see him as Superman. I feel like he didn't get enough opportunity to play the character because of Snyder's decision from Man of Steel to this.

I would have preferred a MoS sequel but it looks like BvS is as close as we're going to ever get.

Cavill has stated that he would love to return to the cape again but the studio seems intent on giving us a black Superman because that will just fix everything.

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:What were the Aquaman inconsistencies that I missed? I liked this version of Arthur way more than Cyborg or Flash.

There is so much, I don't know where to begin. Arthur is still Arthur but the narrative is different, you'll see when you watch the movie. You might even like Arthur more after Aquaman, I thought he did a great job.

I ended up watching Aquaman today and I'm about to say something rather controversial but I enjoyed it way more than I ever thought I could and I also found that it was a far more enjoyable viewing experience for me than Wonder Woman or the Snyder Cut.

It was a vibrant and fully immersive world. It reminded me so much of the New 52 Aquaman arcs I enjoyed so much. I can't believe it was a James Wan film.

But having just watched Aquaman, I still don't see any inconsistencies from JL other than them ignoring his relationship to Mera. Arthur was avoiding the throne in JL and I didn't see him wearing the golden armor of the true Atlantian King in JL. So other than the Mera meeting, what did I miss? Cause it seemed like even Arthur's story in JL was still rather light considering the long run time and I didn't notice any big changes on my first go. 

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:Overall the Snyder cut was a very bleak 4 hour movie that set up sequels that aren't coming and so it feels like a let down in many regards.

I can't say I disagree. Also, I would have cut out the Epilogue stuff and Martian Manhunter as well. Without sequels, a lot of stuff was not needed. What did you think about my spoiler question above? Huge plot hole!

I'm sure the part about Darkseid forgetting was another elaborate and unnecessarily confusing Snyder plot line from a sequel we'll never see just like Lois' pregnancy test in the bathroom drawer was going to lead to Lois and Clark's son becoming the next Batman twenty years later after Bruce died in a future sequel. Shit like that.... Rolling Eyes

Over all WB execs aren't happy with the Snyder Cut and they never wanted it, they just want it to go away. AT&T their parent company demanded this happen. They are looking to move away and that's why they announced the upcoming JJ Abrams Superman reboot like a week ago. They don't care about Snyder or his vision, they've moved on.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/20/2021, 4:24 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I ended up watching Aquaman today and I'm about to say something rather controversial but I enjoyed it way more than I ever thought I could and I also found that it was a far more enjoyable viewing experience for me than Wonder Woman or the Snyder Cut.

It was a vibrant and fully immersive world. It reminded me so much of the New 52 Aquaman arcs I enjoyed so much. I can't believe it was a James Wan film.

But having just watched Aquaman, I still don't see any inconsistencies from JL other than them ignoring his relationship to Mera. Arthur was avoiding the throne in JL and I didn't see him wearing the golden armor of the true Atlantian King in JL. So other than the Mera meeting, what did I miss? Cause it seemed like even Arthur's story in JL was still rather light considering the long run time and I didn't notice any big changes on my first go. 

I knew you would like it. Definitely looks a lot like New 52 Aquaman, that shot with him at the end coming out of the sea looked amazing. Visually, score, action, story.....it had it all. Dialogue might be cheesy sometimes but for an Aquaman movie, I expected a lot worse. Probably the least solo movie I was interested in until I saw it and Wan knocked it out of the park.

It's been a while since I've seen it but these come to mind:

Arthur shows up in Atlantis to protect the Mother Box and stop Steppenwolf in JL. In Aquaman, it's Arthur's first time entering Atlantis with Mera.

Arthur believes his mother abandoned him in JL and he wants nothing to do with Atlantis. In Aquaman, he loves her and is told she was killed because she had in when he's a young adult.

Mera speaks in a British accent in JL, not in Aquaman. Not sure why they did that, Vulko is speaking in American accent in both movies anyway. Zack could have easy fixed that in ADR.

WyldeMan wrote:I'm sure the part about Darkseid forgetting was another elaborate and unnecessarily confusing Snyder plot line from a sequel we'll never see just like Lois' pregnancy test in the bathroom drawer was going to lead to Lois and Clark's son becoming the next Batman twenty years later after Bruce died in a future sequel. Shit like that.... Rolling Eyes

Over all WB execs aren't happy with the Snyder Cut and they never wanted it, they just want it to go away. AT&T their parent company demanded this happen. They are looking to move away and that's why they announced the upcoming JJ Abrams Superman reboot like a week ago. They don't care about Snyder or his vision, they've moved on.

I was wondering about that pregnancy test. Why do you think their son would be the next Batman, did Zack say that?
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2021, 4:34 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Arthur shows up in Atlantis to protect the Mother Box and stop Steppenwolf in JL. In Aquaman, it's Arthur's first time entering Atlantis with Mera.

Arthur believes his mother abandoned him in JL and he wants nothing to do with Atlantis. In Aquaman, he loves her and is told she was killed because she had in when he's a young adult.

Mera speaks in a British accent in JL, not in Aquaman. Not sure why they did that, Vulko is speaking in American accent in both movies anyway. Zack could have easy fixed that in ADR.

Apparently, I overlooked all of those things even though I remember the mother story swap and didn't notice Mera's accent cause I was admiring her cleavage.

Justice League Snyder Cut @ HBOMax - Page 5 Https316

UltimateMarvel wrote:I was wondering about that pregnancy test. Why do you think their son would be the next Batman, did Zack say that?

Yes, Snyder said that it wasn't me just making weird shit up.

One of these potential storylines has to do with a new figure eventually stepping into the famous Batcowl, replacing Bruce Wayne at the end of his crime-fighting tenure. And just who was Snyder's prime candidate? Well, it was none other than Bruce Kent, son of Clark Kent (AKA Superman) and Lois Lane, who Snyder had planned to feature in one of his two planned sequels.

"It was going to be Lois and Superman's son," Snyder told Vanity Fair. "He doesn’t have any powers, and then he was going to end up being the new Batman."  

As the Army of the Dead director goes on to outline, the movies would have flash-forwarded to a scene in the future, where Lois and Clark introduce the now-adult Bruce to their fallen friend and his namesake. "Twenty years later, on the anniversary of [Batman’s] death, they take young Bruce Kent down to the Batcave and they say, ‘Your Uncle Bruce would’ve been proud if you did this.'"

All of this was to build off yet another planned plot point, in which Batman would have died during one of the now-cancelled sequels, having given up his life to save Lois.

And JL3 was going to be Superman's movie but everybody else would have had their own armies too.

In a new interview, though, Snyder revealed that Justice League 3 would have been something of a Man of Steel follow-up, with Cavill’s Kal-El stepping into the breach and leading the titular team into battle against the forces of Darkseid with the fate of the entire world at stake.

“I had just assumed that the final movie was going to be very much a Superman movie. Like the final chapter was going to be a large percentage of Superman to just bookend the whole thing. Because if Batman died, it would have very much fallen on Superman to be the de facto leader. By the way, at that point, Wonder Woman would have been made queen of the Themyscira and she would be leading the warriors of Themyscira into battle against Darkseid herself. And Arthur would be leading the armies of Atlanteans.”

“And Superman basically is going to be the head of the Justice League and the Armies of Men. And so Superman would have gone from this kind of berserker Superman to a benevolent Superman. Superman has the hugest arc of everybody because he goes from like the main villain to like the main hero.”

“And that struck me as just really cool and fun and like a really interesting trajectory for him. Because I think traditionally, Superman is one of those characters that people don’t see as changing a lot,” Snyder said. “You know what I mean? He’s kind of a rock that everyone props against and I just thought, how cool would it be to make our Superman the character that goes on the most incredible journey.”

Now that his Justice League is out there for all to see, Snyder at least managed to get 60% of the way through his planned five-film arc, but the idea of two more sprawling superhero fantasies in the vein of The Lord of the Rings remains hugely enticing, especially when it sounds like the third installment could have ended on the DCEU’s Battle for Minas Tirith.
[/quote]

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/22/2021, 5:32 pm

Damn! That sounds terrible. Just the fact that Superman goes dark and joins Darkseid because Lois dies is just stupid. It's the same type of writing as "Martha" almost. Even though he had a plan, he didn't put any consideration into long term films like Marvel does. It's almost like his movies are separate from WW and Aquaman movies.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/22/2021, 11:49 pm

Darkseid was going to use the AntiLife Equation to control Superman, it wasn’t just that Lois died
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5