BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by WyldeMan 8/8/2015, 3:41 pm

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Wan-mk10

Furious 7 director James Wan is stepping in to produce the MORTAL KOMBAT reboot currently underway at New Line and Broken Road.

The in-demand director of The Conjuring and Insidious: Chapter 2 has been brought over to uppercut some new life into the previously stunted picture. With his dark sensibility, ability to orchestrate action and scares, and a wildly successful financial track record, Wan seems to be the perfect fit for what the studio has described as “a departure from the mythology,” with “darker, brutally real martial arts.”

The script, being penned by Mortal Kombat: Legacy writer Oren Uziel and The Expendables writer Dave Callaham, centers around a seemingly harmless guy who realizes his potential when he finds himself caught in the middle of a cross-dimensional battle between the warriors of Earth and the monsters of Outworld. Now, in order to stop the world from total destruction, he must win the martial arts tournament known as ‘Mortal Kombat’.

The film is based on the iconic video game series from Midway Games, which gained notoriety in the early 1990s for its depiction of graphically violent hand-to-hand combat. Since its release, the franchise has sold over 35 million units–more than enough to warrant a reboot of the film series, which stalled out with 1997’s Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. With the white-hot Wan on board, the right buttons may have just been pressed to put the finishing moves on this project.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 3/22/2022, 10:50 am; edited 11 times in total
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Re: Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/8/2015, 9:54 pm

This has been in the works for......I don't know how long but they need to make it soon. With the amount of time it's taken, it better be the BEST MK movie with sequels to match the Fast and Furious franchise.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Re: Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by WyldeMan 8/8/2015, 10:12 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote: it better be the BEST MK movie with sequels to match the Fast and Furious franchise.

God damn it Abe....

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/9/2015, 12:05 am

WyldeMan wrote:
UltimateMarvel wrote: it better be the BEST MK movie with sequels to match the Fast and Furious franchise.

God damn it Abe....

NO! I'm sick of the waiting and I want to see MK done right. Shit, Mortal Kombat Legacy was decent and if they can do something close to that then I'll take it.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 8/9/2015, 9:34 am

I couldn't even watch more than half of Furious Seven I just hated it so god damned much. Kevin Tancharoen should be making this, not Wan who hasn't made a good movie since Death Sentence.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 8/9/2015, 11:27 am

WyldeMan wrote:I couldn't even watch more than half of Furious Seven I just hated it so god damned much. Kevin Tancharoen should be making this, not Wan who hasn't made a good movie since Death Sentence.

Well, he's only producing this so it's shouldn't affect it. He is directing Aquaman though and we'll see how that goes. Loved Death Sentence also.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/9/2019, 12:58 pm

'Mortal Kombat' Movie Finds Its Sub-Zero (Exclusive)
Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Sub-ze10
Fight! New Line's Mortal Kombat movie has found its Sub-Zero.

Actor and martial artist Joe Taslim will be playing the superpowered fighter in the live-action adaptation of the video game.

James Wan and his Atomic Monster banner are producing the movie, which will be the feature debut of veteran commercial director Simon McQuoid. Todd Garner will also produce, with Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear and Sean Robins executive producing.

While the plot of the movie remains unknown, the video game centers on a massive roster of character fighters from different realms in a fictional universe battling for supremacy. Greg Russo penned the current version of the screenplay.

First released in 1992, Mortal Kombat has sold over 49 million copies, spanning over a dozen canon games and expansions, making it one of the most profitable video game franchise of all time. Mortal Kombat 11 was released in April and has become the most successful launch in franchise history.

The game was previously adapted into a movie in 1995 from director Paul W. S. Anderson that went on to gross an impressive $122 million at the worldwide box office. It was then followed by 1997's Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Sub-Zero was one of the original characters featured in the 1992 game and is known for his attacks involving ice. He has a long-running rivalry with similarly garbed fellow kombatant Scorpion.

Taslim's is the first deal to close for Mortal Kombat, which is set to shoot in southern Australia later this year.

An alum of Indonesia's national Judo team, Taslim made his acting debut in cult action film The Raid. His other feature credits include Fast & Furious 6, Star Trek Beyond and recent Netflix feature The Night Comes for Us.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/9/2019, 6:29 pm

Cool! Hiring unknown actors/martial artists is a good move for a MK movie. I wonder if they'll get Michael Jai White as well. He played Jax in the web series.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 12/14/2020, 6:33 pm

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Epo8kv10
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/23/2021, 3:21 pm

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal16
Major Jackson "Jax" Briggs (Supergirl's Mehcad Brooks), a special forces major who bears the same mark as Cole, urges him to seek out Sonya Blade (The Meg's Jessica McNamee). She ferries him onward to the next leg of the journey, to the thunderous Elder God known as Lord Raiden (Thor's Tadanobu Asano), who grants sanctuary at his temple to all those with the mark. There, Cole encounters even more recognizable characters from the Mortal Kombat games — Liu Kang (Power Rangers' Ludi Lin), Kung Lao (actor and stuntman Max Huang), and Kano (Superstore's Josh Lawson) — as they all train for a high-stakes tournament to defeat the invading enemies from Outerworld.
Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal11

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal12

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal13

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal14

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal15

Mortal Kombat ($84 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Mortal10

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/23/2021, 4:23 pm

Hope we get some good fatalities.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/18/2021, 2:05 pm

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/18/2021, 10:11 pm

Amazing trailer! All the boxes were checked.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 2/19/2021, 12:35 am

Damn. That does look good.

"Kano wins! You fucken beauty" . lol.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/19/2021, 8:50 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:Amazing trailer! All the boxes were checked.

This MK was made for around $40 million, so it has every chance to be successful.

I will be watching release day on HBO Max.

However that doesn't mean I won't be wondering where the hell is Johnny Cage? Though it seems like Lewis Tan's character is the star of this iteration of MK so that's probably why there's no Cage and it's nice to see Tan moving up in his career to leading roles.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/19/2021, 1:27 pm

I was wondering where Cage was too. But only $40 million? Good job James Wan! Looks more high budget than that.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 2/19/2021, 4:06 pm

Cole could be Cage. Maybe he's living under an assumed name, or doesn't know his real name?

Or maybe they're saving him for the sequel.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 2/20/2021, 1:44 pm

Rusty wrote:Cole could be Cage. Maybe he's living under an assumed name, or doesn't know his real name?

Or maybe they're saving him for the sequel.

I guess it's possible, that would be cool. Cage is an actor so it could be a stage name or something like that.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/26/2021, 1:38 pm

‘Mortal Kombat’ Red Band Trailer Breaks Viewership Records
EXCLUSIVE: The viewership for New Line’s red band trailer of Mortal Kombat has clocked 116M views in its first week, becoming the biggest red band trailer of all-time, besting the 4-day mark of Logan and Deadpool 2 and continuing to do so.

The trailer for the Simon McQuoid directed feature trended in 52 total markets on YouTube and 28 total markets on Twitter, registering a 98% Positive-to-Neutral social sentiment rating.

Separately, RelishMix tells us that the viral reposting rate for Mortal Kombat is a very high 47:1 ratio.

The trailer received high praise from fans across Reddit and video gaming news sites such as GameSpot and NintendoWire, some who’ve been quite skeptical about video game adaptations. GameSpot beamed, “It’s loaded with the kind of blood, gore, and crazy superhuman abilities fans of the video game series have come to expect… It’s also packed with a bunch of iconic characters from the franchise, giving them each time to shine (and mutilate their opponents)… Our first look at Jax’s cybernetic arms is pretty impressive.”

This latest iteration of Mortal Kombat debuts in theaters and on HBO Max on April 16.

Back in 2017, the first trailer for New Line’s It smashed then global 24-hour traffic records with 197M views, blowing past the previous record set by Universal’s The Fate of the Furious (139M).

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/31/2021, 11:22 pm

Mortal Kombat Movie Release Date Gets Delayed by One Week
It's gonna be a little longer before we can see the new Mortal Kombat movie. The highly-anticipated release has just been delayed by a week by Warner Bros., now set to premiere on April 23 instead of the planned release date of April 16. At this time, no reason has yet been given for the delay.

Mortal Kombat has seen multiple "official" release dates over the course of its development. At one point, the movie was set to be released on March 5, and fans were later treated to the good news that it had been pushed up to January 15, 2021. Of course, the pandemic changed those plans, and Mortal Kombat was later dated for April 16.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/1/2021, 8:45 pm

Weird but ok.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/3/2021, 12:21 pm

HBO Max has added Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) and Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (2020)  but they must be saving the original '95 MK movie until we get closer to release.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/3/2021, 3:50 pm

Annihilation is all that matters. I never hear anyone mention the '95 movie and it was quite forgettable.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/3/2021, 4:09 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Annihilation is all that matters. I never hear anyone mention the '95 movie and it was quite forgettable.

What? I've only ever heard people talk about loving the original and hating Annihilation.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/3/2021, 8:19 pm

WyldeMan wrote:What? I've only ever heard people talk about loving the original and hating Annihilation.

WHAT?! No way! So many scenes are memorable to me from Annihilation than the original.

The fights were better, less cheesy, Liu Kang turns to a dragon. Guys, back me up here.......
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 4/4/2021, 12:09 am

I mean they’re both garbage, but the first is more focused from what I remember
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/4/2021, 8:03 am

Tyger wrote:I mean they’re both garbage, but the first is more focused from what I remember

My memory tells me they were both terrible but the sequel was way worse. However, I haven't seen them in over 20 years but I can't imagine they've gotten better with age. From what I can remember, they were just as bad or possibly worse than the worst movie of all-time; Batman and Robin.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/4/2021, 2:11 pm

They're both bad but I'm just saying the second one is less bad.

Look at the way Sub-Zero comes down the stairs and WTF was Liu Kang doing at 1:03 mark...

UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 4/5/2021, 1:26 pm

Damn it, I never really paid attention to how Sub-Zero comes down the stairs and now I can't unsee that. LOL this movie rules.

And that little hi-yah jump by Liu Kang is great. It reminds me of when Michelle Yeoh in Tomorrow Never Dies when screams "hyaa!" and shoots a computer.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/5/2021, 2:07 pm

I watched Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion Revenge for the first time on HBO Max last night. It was kind of dope.

And I found the likely reason for the one week delay:

This late delay for Mortal Kombat shouldn't be any cause for concern and is likely an example of Warner Bros. figuring out the best way to release its backed-up slate. Before pushing back Mortal Kombat, the studio was set to release it only two weeks after Godzilla vs. Kong. The latest chapter of the MonsterVerse is performing very well at the international box office and will debut as most theaters are open domestically. Instead of squeezing Mortal Kombat fairly close to Godzilla vs. Kong, WB smartly gives each property a bit more breathing room.

As more theaters start to open up and vaccinations for COVID-19 rise, Mortal Kombat's performance could be an early sign of how the summer movie season will look. With Black Widow's delay to July 2021, Mortal Kombat will get three weeks as the biggest new movie in theaters until Spiral: From the Book of Saw, released on May 14. Since the video game movie only has a reported budget of $50 million, it won't take much for it to be a financial success. And with the added benefit of potentially drawing subscribers to HBO Max, the hybrid release and lacking competition could help Mortal Kombat leave a major mark on the pop culture landscape.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/9/2021, 9:59 am

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/14/2021, 8:06 pm

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/15/2021, 7:04 pm

I'm not going to watch these since it's so close to release.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/20/2021, 10:17 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:I'm not going to watch these since it's so close to release.

I know how you feel about these trailers giving away too much of the movie so close to release, so here's the first 7 minutes of the movie. Cool 

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/20/2021, 8:11 pm

WTF?! Why would they do that? It's Mortal Kombat, people are going to watch. No need to tease us with this. 7 minutes is a lot, hopefully it's a 2 hour movie.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 4/22/2021, 11:51 am

Every day  I walk down the stairs to my basement for work, I walk like Sub-Zero. Makes me feel like a badass before I log in.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/22/2021, 7:49 pm

joey con carne wrote:Every day  I walk down the stairs to my basement for work, I walk like Sub-Zero. Makes me feel like a badass before I log in.

Oh damn, that's cool. Do you ever listen to the MK theme song when you do this?

I am so stoked for the Mortal Kombat release tomorrow. It feels like I've been waiting 25 years for this.

#TeamScorpion #GETOVERHERE! Cool

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/23/2021, 10:13 am

I enjoyed this latest Mortal Kombat iteration for what it was but it still had some problems.

It definitely could have used more Scorpion but they had a story to tell and clearly didn't want to rush things just for the sake of getting them into the first movie.

It was a fresh start to an decades old abused franchise and one that is bursting with the potential for many more sequels, prequels and spin-offs.

But no mid or even post-credits sequence? Lame! Though that final Cole Young gym scene basically served as one anyways.

I'm sure the internets will take issue with everything and there won't be enough fights or fatalities but as a new starting point, it worked for me.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/24/2021, 1:58 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I enjoyed this latest Mortal Kombat iteration for what it was but it still had some problems.

It definitely could have used more Scorpion but they had a story to tell and clearly didn't want to rush things just for the sake of getting them into the first movie.

It was a fresh start to an decades old abused franchise and one that is bursting with the potential for many more sequels, prequels and spin-offs.

But no mid or even post-credits sequence? Lame! Though that final Cole Young gym scene basically served as one anyways.

I'm sure the internets will take issue with everything and there won't be enough fights or fatalities but as a new starting point, it worked for me.

I agree, watched it last night and it was a good start to a potential franchise. Loved all the gore and fatalities but with that comes losing certain characters like Kung Lao.

I wish they played that MK soundtrack a little longer during the final fight, you just can't beat it.

I also waited for an after credit scene but nope.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/24/2021, 2:29 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I agree, watched it last night and it was a good start to a potential franchise. Loved all the gore and fatalities but with that comes losing certain characters like Kung Lao.

I wish they played that MK soundtrack a little longer during the final fight, you just can't beat it.

I also waited for an after credit scene but nope.

I was bummed to see Kano go because Josh Lawson made him a lot of fun but I knew it was the only way Sonya could earn her mark so I was okay with it. However, now I want a six episode prequel series that covers his time leading the Black Dragons. Cool

But there were certain character I always think of when it comes to MK and others that I always seem to forget exist and Kung Lao was always on my forgotten list. When he showed up I was like "Oh yeah that the dude that throws his hat" LOL.

This Raiden took a little getting used to. I know he was never really a white guy but Christopher Lambert and Ryan Robbins are the only dudes I've ever seen play the role in live action until now. Though it was a nice and highly appropriate change of pace.

Were you at all confused by Cole's relationship to the women in his life? I did not get that Allison and Emily were his wife and daughter until Goro attacked and Emily called him "Dad". I assumed they were his sister and his girlfriend until that point because no relationship info was given before the attack.

Did you hear the original song play throughout the end credits?

I'm a little bummed more of you dudes haven't watched this yet!

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 4/24/2021, 6:09 pm

I watched this today. Pretty good stuff. I like when Kano called Kung Lao “Kung Pao” and he unlocked his arcana screaming about an eggroll.

I was a little disappointed Hanzo Hasashi fell so easily to Sub-Zero one-on-one.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 4/24/2021, 8:39 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I was bummed to see Kano go because Josh Lawson made him a lot of fun but I knew it was the only way Sonya could earn her mark so I was okay with it. However, now I want a six episode prequel series that covers his time leading the Black Dragons. Cool

I didn't realize it was Josh Lawson until right before Liu showed up, had to IMDB to double check. But yeah, he's a funny character. She stabbed him in the eye so there is a good chance he's still alive and comes back with the metal eye like in the games.

WyldeMan wrote:But there were certain character I always think of when it comes to MK and others that I always seem to forget exist and Kung Lao was always on my forgotten list. When he showed up I was like "Oh yeah that the dude that throws his hat" LOL.

Probably why people aren't familiar with him, he's always getting killed. Great fighter though.

WyldeMan wrote:This Raiden took a little getting used to. I know he was never really a white guy but Christopher Lambert and Ryan Robbins are the only dudes I've ever seen play the role in live action until now. Though it was a nice and highly appropriate change of pace.

Agree. I remember James Remar more than the 2 you mentioned.

WyldeMan wrote:Were you at all confused by Cole's relationship to the women in his life? I did not get that Allison and Emily were his wife and daughter until Goro attacked and Emily called him "Dad". I assumed they were his sister and his girlfriend until that point because no relationship info was given before the attack.

In the beginning, yes. I thought the little girl was his sister too until they met again at dinner before the Sub-Zero attack with Jax, then everything became clear.

WyldeMan wrote:Did you hear the original song play throughout the end credits?

I did, that was cool.

joey con carne wrote:I watched this today. Pretty good stuff. I like when Kano called Kung Lao “Kung Pao” and he unlocked his arcana screaming about an eggroll.

I was a little disappointed Hanzo Hasashi fell so easily to Sub-Zero one-on-one.

Were you disappointed Sub-Zero didn't walk down the stairs?
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/25/2021, 7:50 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:I didn't realize it was Josh Lawson until right before Liu showed up, had to IMDB to double check. But yeah, he's a funny character. She stabbed him in the eye so there is a good chance he's still alive and comes back with the metal eye like in the games.

Lawson played my favorite character on Superstore so I was looking forward to seeing his version of Kano and he did not disappoint. I thought he kind of stole the movie, so I'm going to keep holding out hope for a prequel series or movie with more Kano.  

UltimateMarvel wrote:Agree. I remember James Remar more than the 2 you mentioned.

I had entirely forgotten about Remar ever playing Raiden. However, I hated Annihilation so much that I've refused to watch it for over 25 years and struck it from my memory.

UltimateMarvel wrote:Were you disappointed Sub-Zero didn't walk down the stairs?

He did walk up the stairs though. Razz

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 4/25/2021, 8:25 am

I was a little disappointed Sub-Zero didn’t walk down the stairs but his cool snow mist fade was pretty sweet.

How did Sub-Zero become immortal? Is that the doing of Shang Tsung?
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 4/25/2021, 8:36 am

joey con carne wrote:How did Sub-Zero become immortal? Is that the doing of Shang Tsung?

I think it was the sorcerer Quan Chi who turned Bi-Han into Sub-Zero but I could easily be wrong on that. 

Anybody else looking forward to the inevitable rise of Noob Saibot in the sequel?

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next