BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti)

3 posters

Go down

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti) Empty Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti)

Post by WyldeMan 9/17/2015, 9:32 pm

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti) 20841l10
Our buddies over at Heroic Hollywood now report that Zak Penn is being courted to leave Marvel’s camp for DC’s playpen, circling to script the Blue Beetle/Booster Gold team-up film.

Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, two DC Comics superheros that have long been rumored to appear in either an upcoming film or TV show, are now being groomed for a team-up feature from Warner Bros. Sources exclusive to The Tracking Board can now confirm that Greg Berlanti, the force behind the successful DC comics TV series Arrow and The Flash, will be heavily involved with this one, set to direct and executive produce. Sarah Schechter will also executive produce, while Julia Spiro will oversee for the studio.

In a massively different approach from Warner’s current slate, the film will team the two heroes together in what’s being pitched as a superhero buddy cop movie. Comedy is the emphasis here, which is a stark contrast to the other titles in DC’s Cinematic Universe, breaking the mold of the uber serious and grounded Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

The Booster Gold/Blue Beetle team-up movie is only another in a long line from Warner, which is developing several crossover films for it’s DC characters, with Suicide Squad, Justice League, and Green Lantern Corps to name a few.

Consider Booster Gold the DC universe’s equivalent of Tony Stark, as he’s known for brandishing a similarly sized ego and even a trusty robot companion. Among DC readers, Booster is beloved for his snarky attitude, flashy nature, and reputation for being a showboat – in fact, the fan-favorite character even has corporate sponsors.

Booster Gold, AKA Michael Jon Carter, was a football hero and celebrity in the 25th Century who became publicly disgraced after he was caught gambling on his own games. With his reputation tarnished, Carter stole super-powered relics from the past and traveled back in time, with the plan to become a famous superhero. Though he began cocky, Booster eventually became a real hero.

While in college, tech-genius Ted Kord took a job working for his Uncle Jarvis, whom he eventually discovers is a mad scientist, bent on conquering the world with an army of androids. In order to try and stop this, he goes to one of his professors, the original Blue Beetle Dan Garret, and asks for his help. Jarvis and Dan die in the ensuing battle, but not before Garret reveals his identity to him and makes Ted promise to carry on his legacy. Without Garret’s superpowers, Kord uses his many inventions to carry on the Blue Beetle name and fight crime.

Booster and Blue Beetle frequently partner up in the comics and are close allies, often pulled into more comedic shenanigans. The dynamic duo are also members of the Justice League and are being planted now to appear in a future JL movie down the road.

Both characters have long been targeted for a screen adaptation, almost getting their own individual shows. Blue Beetle was even prepped to take the place of Smallville after that series ended, with test VFX footage shot, but the series never came to fruition. Speaking of Smallville, the characters appeared for the first time on screen on the series in an episode entitled “Booster.”

The superhero duo were long thought to appear on either The Flash or DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, though Legends showrunner Phil Klemmer recently hinted that something bigger could be in the pipeline, which we now know is the feature.

Berlanti’s a huge player in Warner’s DC realm, having nabbed a story credit on both the upcoming Flash and Green Lantern films, not to mention that he’s also behind the forthcoming Supergirl series. Though Supergirl, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Arrow are separate from the films, Berlanti is credited with provoking a renewed interest in DC characters and is the ideal choice to shepherd Booster Gold. The multi-faceted director, producer, and writer is a well-known fan of the character, having scripted the pilot for a potential Booster Gold series that was once being targeted by Syfy.

Berlanti has an established relationship the studio, as his Berlanti Productions has an overall deal with Warner Bros. TV. He also made his feature directorial debut with the studio’s comedy Life As We Know It and is next set to helm the Chris Pine drama Replay.

DC Entertainment is also producing.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 5/11/2016, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti) Empty Re: Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti)

Post by Tyger 9/17/2015, 11:07 pm

I'm for it
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/18/2015, 8:14 am

Just trying to wrap my head around the fact that the Warner has decided to keep their TV and Movies universes separate yet have the guy shepherding the entire tv development also developing and writing for the feature side.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/18/2015, 11:21 am

I don't get it either. He should remain in the TV side or have Gustin play Flash in the actual movie. Universes are clashing right now. Not to mentioned a movie with these 2? They couldn't find other heroes. I would've gone after Nightwing since Batman is already setup but that's just me.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/18/2015, 11:47 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:I don't get it either. He should remain in the TV side or have Gustin play Flash in the actual movie. Universes are clashing right now. Not to mentioned a movie with these 2? They couldn't find other heroes. I would've gone after Nightwing since Batman is already setup but that's just me.

Most of what I know about those guys I learned from Young Justice and they weren't exactly my favorite characters in that team. Berlanti wrote a Booster Gold pilot like five years ago for SyFy because he's been a fan since childhood. It seems to me like they are allowing him to make this because he got a story credit for the upcoming GL and Flash movies and he's handling their tv verse.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/18/2015, 8:00 pm

Booster Gold also appeared in Justice League Unlimited.

I hope DC just goes nuts and turns the TV and Film universes into a multiverse at some point, that'd be crazy.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/18/2015, 9:00 pm

Remember this:

That was terrible and makes me cringe looking back now. Evil or Very Mad I liked what I saw in Young Justice. That said, Booster Gold can be hard to like sometimes.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/18/2015, 9:50 pm

Tyger wrote:I hope DC just goes nuts and turns the TV and Film universes into a multiverse at some point, that'd be crazy.

DC Entertainment Boss Committed To Keeping Films And TV Separate
Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti) 12513310
If you were hoping that Grant Gustin's season-finale venture into the multiverse opened the door for the DC's film slate to mix with its television shows, think again.  Speaking to Variety, DC Entertainment President Diane Nelson confirmed that the films and TV shows will remain separate entities.  “We’re so talent driven.  [The focus on a single universe of characters with connected storylines] could end up handcuffing our creators into trying to work with the same storyline or force them to hold back characters or introduce certain characters. Ultimately it hinders the ability for someone like (showrunner) Bruno Heller to come in and create ‘Gotham.’ "

Nelson noted that the shared universe strategy has worked "beautifully" for Marvel but it doesn't make sense for WB with all of the irons it has in the fire.

Do you agree? Gotham is obviously a hard show to connect to the others but Arrow, The Flash and Supergirl could all become connected to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and the rest of the other films coming down the pipeline.  The easy method, would be to use the multiverse, which was introduced on The Flash.  Then again, the tone, material and costumes on the TV shows are of another quality than what WB is poised to unleash this March with Dawn of Justice.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/18/2015, 9:51 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:That said, Booster Gold can be hard to like sometimes.

That's cause Booster Gold is a dick, lol.

I remember Fillion lobbying to play Booster for years but he's too old and round now. I just pray they don't go for Armie Hammer, cause that smug dick looks just like him.

Berlanti's final two choices for Flash were Gustin and Matt Barr, I wonder if he would reconsider Barr for Booster.

Booster Gold (Greg Berlanti) Mattba10

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/18/2015, 10:01 pm

Gotham is fucking terrible so that quote is like twisting the knife
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/18/2015, 10:06 pm

Tyger wrote:Gotham is fucking terrible so that quote is like twisting the knife

They are trying to reboot it a bit in season 2 and the second half of the first season was pretty amusing. They've got some talented actors who can have a lot of fun if you can get into the wackiness of the show, it feels like stuff you'd find on the pages of comics so I don't quite get your total hate. I enjoy it on the same level that I do an episode of Doctor Who you've just got to be able to except the fantastical and utter ridiculousness to be able to get to the good stuff.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/18/2015, 10:21 pm

I watched the first 4-6 episodes I think and it was just a fucking mess. If I start a show, I generally finish at least the season, if not the series even if I don't even like it anymore and this is Batman related and I still abandoned ship. That's bad.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/19/2015, 9:25 am

Tyger wrote:I watched the first 4-6 episodes I think and it was just a fucking mess. If I start a show, I generally finish at least the season, if not the series even if I don't even like it anymore and this is Batman related and I still abandoned ship. That's bad.

Gotham was pretty messy for a lot of the first season but they laid some solid groundwork for really fun villains with Penguin and Nygma and getting rid of Jada Pinkett's Fish Mooney. Season 2 looks to be a very different show based on all the interviews I've read and promos I've watched. I can't guarantee you'll love it but I enjoy it more than I do SHIELD that's for sure.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 9/20/2015, 11:19 am

Tyger, I think you should give the second season a shot like the rest of us. I don't think you'll miss much if you skip the entire first season.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/20/2015, 11:30 am

I just have no interest in the premise. I gave it a shot and it just doesn't work for me. It's a huge step backwards for comic book shows as far as I'm concerned.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 9/20/2015, 12:40 pm

Tyger wrote:It's a huge step backwards for comic book shows as far as I'm concerned.

I feel like you're talking about Supergirl right now. Probably because as a viewer of Gotham and having struggled through that steaming pile of shit they called the Supergirl pilot, I have a different opinion but I think you're writing off a series with very little understanding of it. The show is not called Bruce Wayne for a reason.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 9/20/2015, 2:57 pm

And I would have been fine with that. If it was GCPD or a show about Gordon's early career, I would've been fine. It's all the damn shoehorning they do with Bruce and the villains that kill it. It's Smallvillian. Hate it.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 5/11/2016, 3:52 pm

Zack Stentz Is Writing A BOOSTER GOLD Movie
A shared cinematic universe is, to use a cliche, like a big ass boat. It's hard to turn a big ass boat - you really have to swing that sucker around, and it can take some time. The DC Movieverse is, in this case, the big ass boat, and I keep hearing whispers that it's getting reoriented in the wake of Batman v Superman being what it is (ie, bad).

I don't know how that's going to shake out when it comes to Justice League - the captain who was already mis-steering that boat is still steering that one! - but I think we will see that shift happening in some of the DC solo movies that are coming up. While The Flash lost director Seth Grahame-Smith WB is sticking with his script (for now, there will be rewrites as there always are rewrites), and that script is lighter and poppier, focusing on the friendship of The Flash and Cyborg, who hit it off in Justice LeagueWonder Woman, I hear, is a very hopeful movie, flying in the face of the cynicism of Batman v Superman. And Warner Bros is developing another movie that definitely doesn't fit into the tone of the DC Movieverse as established: Booster Gold.

Zack Stentz, who has credits on movies like Thor, the new Power Rangers and Agent Cody Banks, is working on the script right now. I had heard that Greg Berlanti, the guy who runs the (tonally correct) DC TVverse is producing, and a recent appearance by Stentz on the "Fatman on Batman" podcast bears this out. Thanks to Cleats and Capes for listening to the podcast and picking out a couple of facts that back up everything I've heard: Stentz is writing Booster Gold with Berlanti producing and possibly interested in directing.

Booster Gold is a great character. He's an ex-athelete turned security guard in the future who steals a time machine (and a couple of superheroic objects, like a Legion of Superheroes flight ring) and comes back to the modern day intending to use his future knowledge and tech to become rich and famous. Callow, selfish and more than a little dopey, Booster's journey is from buffoon to true hero. In the classic 80s run of Justice League International he became best friends with Blue Beetle, and the two hatched harebrained schemes and plans and shared many a hearty "Bwa-ha-ha!" over the years.

Booster is very, very different from what we've seen in the DC Movieverse so far, and the fact that this movie is even in development gives me hope and backs up the whispers I have heard that Warner Bros - and especially Ben Affleck - are very hip to what went wrong with BvS, and that the opportunity exists to fix the larger universe.

I don't know what the status of Booster Gold is right now (it seems to be on hold), and I think it's a solo movie - ie, not the Blue and Gold buddy movie many have wanted - but the fact that it's managed to be in development at all during the Reign of Snyder is really impressive. I think there's an opening at WB where Booster Gold could suddenly see its fortunes changing, and getting closer to being a real movie.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down