BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise)

4 posters

Go down

Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise) Empty Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise)

Post by WyldeMan 7/28/2022, 6:31 pm

‘Tomb Raider’ Bidding War Erupts as MGM Loses Movie Rights (Exclusive)
Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise) 7a5d7410
MGM has lost the film rights to “Tomb Raider,” based on the popular video game, sparking a bidding war for the IP, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

MGM had till May of this year to greenlight a “Tomb Raider” sequel, and the window passed. A host of Hollywood movie studios are in the mix and put in bids, according to multiple insiders with knowledge of the project.

Alicia Vikander, who starred as Lara Croft in 2018’s “Tomb Raider” is no longer attached to the project. Insiders add it’s a complete reboot and there are no casting or director commitments. Rights reverted to the game company, then the game company and Graham King’s GK Films made a deal to rep the IP.

The 2018 “Tomb Raider” earned nearly $275 million at the global box office. The film is based on the popular video game series starring the adventuring Lara Croft, and the games were initially adapted into a blockbuster pair of films in 2001 and 2003 that starred Angelina Jolie, which grossed $432 million worldwide.

A sequel to the 2018 “Tomb Raider” film had “Lovecraft Country” showrunner Misha Green attached to write and direct at one point, but that has fallen apart.

Producer Graham King and his GK Films banner acquired the “Tomb Raider” rights in 2011 from Square Enix, and is considering the offers.

Back in May, Embracer acquired “Tomb Raider” game developer Crystal Dynamics and all corresponding IP from Square Enix in a deal worth $300 million. In the company’s Q4 and full year financial report, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors said he sees “great potential, not only in sequels, but also in remakes, remasters, spinoffs as well as transmedia projects” for “Tomb Raider.”

MGM declined to comment.

Source: The Wrap

Last edited by WyldeMan on 1/28/2023, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dune Part II

Wylde's Favorite Series of 2024:

Fallout (Prime), The Gentleman (Netflix), Shogun (Hulu/Disney+)
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise) Empty Re: Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise)

Post by Rusty 7/28/2022, 7:26 pm

$10 says Disney buys it.

Movies, series, animated series, merch.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise) Empty Re: Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise)

Post by WyldeMan 7/28/2022, 9:01 pm

Rusty wrote:$10 says Disney buys it.

Movies, series, animated series, merch.

Nah, Disney already owns enough major IP, I can't imagine they'd be interested in Tomb Raider.

Amazon Prime is out because they own MGM, who just lost the Raider rights.

My gut says Paramount will buy it specifically for their Paramount+ app and they'll develop sequels, prequels, spin-offs and shows for it. They'll build out an entire Tomb Raider universe to fully exploit the property in every conceivable capacity.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/29/2022, 8:07 am

WyldeMan wrote:

Nah, Disney already owns enough major IP, I can't imagine they'd be interested in Tomb Raider.

Amazon Prime is out because they own MGM, who just lost the Raider rights.

My gut says Paramount will buy it specifically for their Paramount+ app and they'll develop sequels, prequels, spin-offs and shows for it. They'll build out an entire Tomb Raider universe to fully exploit the property in every conceivable capacity.

I legit thought about Paramount, yet I still feel Disney because their philosophy is "own it". The amount of shit they own that will never again see the light of day is astonishing. They are the sort of cunt's that will buy something just so their competitors can't make money off of it.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/29/2022, 9:41 am

Rusty wrote:I legit thought about Paramount, yet I still feel Disney because their philosophy is "own it". The amount of shit they own that will never again see the light of day is astonishing. They are the sort of cunt's that will buy something just so their competitors can't make money off of it.

There's no bigger pimp in the game than Disney and they want every last dollar from every last ho but I suppose that Lara Croft could become the Mouse House's new Bottom Bitch.

It feels like right now Paramount is buying up every single franchise they can get their hands on and while Taylor Sheridan can create all of their shows he can't also make all of their movies, so they're going to need to reach into the vault for established properties.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/29/2022, 11:19 am

I'm just glad whatever new Tomb Raider is coming out it will be a reboot.

Reboot! Reboot! Reboot!
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/29/2022, 11:37 pm

joey con carne wrote:I'm just glad whatever new Tomb Raider is coming out it will be a reboot.

Reboot! Reboot! Reboot!

Hell yeah. That last reboot was not memorable at all. I never bothered with a re-watch, yet I've watched the Jolie iterations multiple times.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/30/2022, 5:50 am

Rusty wrote:
joey con carne wrote:I'm just glad whatever new Tomb Raider is coming out it will be a reboot.

Reboot! Reboot! Reboot!

Hell yeah. That last reboot was not memorable at all. I never bothered with a re-watch, yet I've watched the Jolie iterations multiple times.

That because you still value a quality rack.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/30/2022, 6:34 pm

The movie wasn't that bad and there were a lot of similarities to the video game, I didn't hate it. Plus, Walton Goggins is always entertaining.

Last edited by UltimateMarvel on 1/29/2023, 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/30/2022, 7:30 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:The movie wasn't that bad and there were a lot of similarities to the video game, I didn't hate it. Plug, Walton Goggins is always entertaining.

I couldn't have seen it cause I feel like I'd remember that there was a Tomb Raider movie with Walton Goggins. Shocked

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/30/2022, 7:56 pm

WyldeMan wrote:

A quality rack does garner significant attention.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/30/2022, 8:27 pm

Rusty wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

A quality rack does garner significant attention.

Really it's what separates us from the animals, a show stopping rack and those that appreciate them.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/28/2023, 7:44 pm

‘Tomb Raider’ Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise
Tomb Raider (Film in the Works as Amazon Makes Rich Rights Deal for Marvel-Like Franchise) 608c6210
Amazon is building a Tomb Raider franchise.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the retail giant and streamer has teamed with Dmitri M. Johnson’s dj2 Entertainment for a massive rights deal to make a Tomb Raider feature film, in addition to the newly announced TV series from Phoebe Waller-Bridge and at least one video game in the Lara Croft franchise.

The idea is to build out a connected world of Tomb Raider, with the video game, TV series and film all interconnected in a fashion akin to what Marvel has already accomplished. The Tomb Raider video game was announced in December, with additional games in the franchise considered likely.

One source with knowledge of the pact described it as being among the largest commitments at Amazon after Lord of the Rings. By comparison, Amazon is estimated to have spent $250 million on rights alone to Lord of the Rings, with that deal covering a multiple-season show (The Rings of Power) as well as spinoffs.

Reps for Amazon and reps for Johnson declined to comment.

While Waller-Bridge is attached to write the script for the Tomb Raider TV series — as THR exclusively reported — the Fleabag Emmy winner is not involved in the film or the game. Waller-Bridge is said to be a big Tomb Raider fan and was eager to be involved with the TV series, though she is not currently attached to star in the project that has a series greenlight built into the larger Tomb Raider rights deal. Her involvement in the Tomb Raider series stems from her recently renewed overall deal with Amazon.

Johnson’s dj2 Entertainment put together the deal for the Tomb Raider anime series at Netflix, which included a two-season order. The company has spent the past year-plus working out rights to the property. Last year, Crystal Dynamics regained control of the rights to the Tomb Raider games after Embracer completed its acquisition of Square Enix assets.

Johnson, for his part, and his dj2 Entertainment signed a first-look deal with Amazon Studios in February 2022. Under the pact, dj2 — which co-produced the Sonic the Hedgehog film — will focus on adapting video game titles for the streamer. Johnson’s dj2 is also working on adapting Life Is Strange and Disco Elysium as film and TV projects.

Source: THR

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 1/29/2023, 10:22 am

I assume Alicia Vikander is out then? They don't need more than a trilogy for a Tomb Raider movie.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 1/29/2023, 1:34 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I assume Alicia Vikander is out then? They don't need more than a trilogy for a Tomb Raider movie.

Yup, she's out. Her career stalled out pretty quickly after takeoff.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 1/29/2023, 5:05 pm

Florence Pough's name will get thrown around. She's a Brit, and has successful Marvel action under her belt.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 2/10/2023, 7:16 pm

Rusty wrote:Florence Pough's name will get thrown around. She's a Brit, and has successful Marvel action under her belt.

It might just be because I've watched four movies this week starring Samara Weaving but I feel like she needs her own franchise and I think she should at least be in the conversation even though she's not British.

Dune Part II

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down