Spawn (Blumhouse & McFarlane)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spawn (Blumhouse & McFarlane)

Post by WyldeMan on 7/22/2017, 6:14 am

Todd McFarlane, creator of the comic-book character Spawn, is partnering via his McFarlane Films banner with Jason Blum’s Blumhouse to bring the antihero back to the big screen. While it’s not news there’s going to be a Spawn movie (McFarlane has been counting down this Comic-Con announcement on his social channels), the fact that Blumhouse is behind it is.

The first Spawn movie starring Michael Jai White was released by New Line in 1997 and grossed $87.8M at the worldwide box office off a $40 million production cost. It opened to $19.7M domestically, ranking second during the first weekend of August; it ended its domestic run at $54.9M.

Published by Image Comics, Spawn follows elite CIA mercenary Al Simmons, who after being killed by his partner is sent to hell because he was responsible for the death of several innocent people. Simmons makes a deal for his soul with an evil being known as Malebolgia so he could see his wife again. But Simmons is turned into a demonic creature and sent back to Earth.

McFarlane will pen the first draft of the screenplay and is set to make his directorial debut. He is known for reinventing the look of Spider-Man as well as co-creating the Venom character for Marvel Comics.

“Having worked with many visionary directors, I think Todd’s unique artistic talents will only add to his role as director of this film,” Blum said in a statement.

Blumhouse is having a fantastic 2017 with its two titles Split and Get Out together amassing $529M in global ticket sales off combined budgets of $13.5M.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Spawn (Blumhouse & McFarlane)

Post by Tyger on 7/22/2017, 10:59 am

Unless he's changed his mind recently I don't care. He kept talking about a Spawn movie where you don't really see Spawn.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/22/2017, 11:41 am

McFarlane on His R-Rated 'Spawn' Blumhouse Reboot, the Budget, and Casting
Comic-Con 2017 is underway, and among the many pieces of breaking news that have come our way, one of the more intriguing is the fact that Spawn comics creator Todd McFarlane finally has movement on his Spawn reboot. McFarlane revealed yesterday that he’s signed a deal with Blumhouse Productions—the studio behind Get Out and Split—to develop with an eye to direct a new Spawn reboot. After the announcement, McFarlane sat down with Collider’s own Steve Weintraub to discuss his plans for the new movie, the Blumhouse partnership, his frustrations with the 90s adaptation, and more.

In the video above you can watch our full conversation with McFarlane. He promises that this new adaptation will be dark, R-rated, and supernatural, and reveals that the film will carry a Blumhouse budget of $10 million to $12 million, with plenty of practical effects used to bring the story to the screen. McFarlane also stresses that Spawn is meant to be the only supernatural thing about this movie:

“It’s not gonna be a typical superhero comic book [movie]. It’s gonna be a dark, moody, real world, and there’s only one thing in this entire movie that’s not normal, and it’s this thing that moves, this shadow that moves, this thing that you and I know intellectually as Spawn.”

The comics creator goes on to take issue with the Marvel Studios adaptation Iron Man, noting that he wants Spawn to be much more in the vein of Jaws, The Exorcist, and The Grudge in that the entire world is grounded and real, and only one single element is supernatural. McFarlane also talks a bit about casting and reveals that Twitch will be one of the biggest characters in the movie.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 7/22/2017, 1:45 pm

R Rated? Nice! Never seen the first Spawn movie so this is a good thing.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/22/2017, 4:06 pm

@UltimateMarvel wrote:R Rated? Nice! Never seen the first Spawn movie so this is a good thing.

In the late 90's I discovered HBO's animated Spawn series and years later saw the movie. I think this could be a really fun property if done right and while I'm not a fan of Blum House's catalog, I cannot hate the way they've reignited an entire genre on a shoe string budget.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty on 7/22/2017, 7:19 pm

Yeah this is good news. I like the take he has on it, and Blumhouse is probably the best direction to take as far as studios go.

Spawn was the first comic book that I actually kept going with and collected. The animated series was pretty good, but the movie was, well, it was the 90's. Michael Jai White was Spawn/Simmons - that's all that needs to be said.

Don't need a Spawn movie, but if they can do it right, I'll be in.
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/22/2017, 7:40 pm

Rusty Cunt wrote: Michael Jai White was Spawn/Simmons - that's all that needs to be said.

Well to that, I might add this...

Spoiler:
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 7/22/2017, 7:43 pm

I'm all for an R rated Spawn, but not one where you barely see the title character. The cape alone demands to be seen. Spawn is nothing without the glorious cape.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/24/2017, 7:32 am

@Tyger wrote:I'm all for an R rated Spawn, but not one where you barely see the title character. The cape alone demands to be seen. Spawn is nothing without the glorious cape.

His cape and suit are fucking awesome but given that no Blumhouse film has ever cost more than $10 million, I don't have high expectations but I'm willing to hold my judgment cause Spawn is a character worthy of his own franchise.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum