Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen (David Harbour / Neil Marshall)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen (David Harbour / Neil Marshall)

Post by WyldeMan on Tue 9 May 2017 - 13:56

Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero turned Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is in talks to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved, nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned, cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks to play Hellboy.

If a deal is made, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.

Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon, raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Del Toro co-wrote and directed the first adaptation, which was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The movie made $60 million domestically (another $40 million internationally, asterisked by the fact that this was the era before international box-office dominated performance) on a budget of $66 million.

The second movie was made by Universal with the same team — del Toro and Perlman — but its box-office mojo was cut short when The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan and featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker, opened six days later.

But both movies engendered strong cult followings and there were rumblings of a third installment. Last year, del Toro, Dark Horse Entertainment, Levin and Gordon, the latter of whom controls the rights, explored their options. However, the budget was a stumbling block, with del Toro wanting a bigger canvas for his vision. In the end, the producers decided a reboot and relaunch was the more feasible route.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen (David Harbour / Neil Marshall)

Post by UltimateMarvel on Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:07

I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:17

I was really excited for a minute, now I'm sad
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Cunt on Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:26

@UltimateMarvel wrote:I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.

I'm with you on that. Of all the comic and graphic novels out there to adapt, they decide to reboot this?
Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Wed 10 May 2017 - 13:44

@Rusty Cunt wrote:
@UltimateMarvel wrote:I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.

I'm with you on that. Of all the comic and graphic novels out there to adapt, they decide to reboot this?

It's a very rich property for mining and GDT is too busy making every project except Hellboy and Perlman has gotten too old. Besides, everything old is new again.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on Wed 10 May 2017 - 21:24

NOPE!

I Rebuke THEE!!!!!
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sun 21 May 2017 - 15:55

Cannes: ‘Hellboy’ Reboot Attracts Big Chinese Bids
A bidding battle is under way in Cannes for Chinese rights to the reboot of the “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” franchise. The project is being represented by Avi Lerner’s Millennium Films.

With bids in the region of $13 million for mainland China, the film is one of the hottest on the Croisette. International buyers are understood to have been told that the picture will be guaranteed a 2,000-screen release in North America.

The new “Hellboy” project emerged a couple of weeks ago with Mike Mignola, who created the original “Hellboy” comic, breaking the news on Facebook.

“Game of Thrones” and “The Descent” director Neil Marshall is attached to helm the film, and “Stranger Things” actor David Harbour in talks to star.

Among the highest bids for China is one understood to have come from a Guangzhou-based company that is not known to be a mainstream distributor. Finding the price too rich and fearing that the deal may collapse, other companies have dropped out.

Millennium has several action and genre projects that appeal to mainstream Chinese audiences. It licensed two — “Hunter Killer” and “Escobar” — in Berlin. Since the end of March, Millennium has been 51% owned by diverse Chinese conglomerate Recon.

Fans have been asking about a third “Hellboy” for years, following the original 2004 film and the 2008 sequel “Hellboy II: The Golden Army,” both of which starred Ron Perlman as the titular superhero and were directed by Guillermo del Toro. Both Perlman and del Toro  had previously talked down rumors of a third installment, with Perlman saying last year that “Hellboy 3” “probably will never happen.” Sony released the original “Hellboy,” with Universal distributing the sequel.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on Mon 22 May 2017 - 2:44

GDT tried to shop another Hellboy sequel recently.

Perlman was on board.

Hollywood opted for this stupid reboot.

With that said, GDT is to blame for waiting too long.
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Mon 22 May 2017 - 3:07

@ForeverBlu wrote:GDT tried to shop another Hellboy sequel recently.

Perlman was on board.

Hollywood opted for this stupid reboot.

With that said, GDT is to blame for waiting too long.

GDT is 100% to blame in my mind because instead of making Hellboy 3 he chose to get involved with horrible trash like Mama, The Strain, Crimson Peak, Afraid of the Dark and a children's series and the upcoming Pinnochio, just literally anything but Hellboy 3. I once considered him one of my most favorite Directors and I got excited about each new film but he's become unwatchable over the last decade for me as I have yet to enjoy a single one of his projects after Hellboy 2.

Mignola isn't exactly happy that GDT continued to choose other projects over the last 7 years since GDT's work with The Hobbit ended. He wnats a darker direction and for his character to return to the screen and I can't blame him because I really want that too. I'm excited for a darker R rated version of Hellboy and I look forward to seeing what Neil Marshall will do with it.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 6:52

David Harbour Teases ‘Hellboy’ Reboot As ‘Darker,’ ‘More of a Character Piece’
David Harbour just wrapped filming the second season of Netflix’s “Stranger Things.” Now he’s preparing to start shooting “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen,” which he teased as “darker” and “more of a character piece” to TheWrap.

“We’re supposed to go in September, I hope,” he said during a recent interview with TheWrap. “It’s good. It’s a whole new thing. I’d always been a fan of the comics and there’s a darker tone to it and I think in the climate we have now there’s kind of a darker… a desire for more of that… the script is good and this guy Neil Marshall is directing who’s really good and the aesthetic is great.”

In April, “Hellboy” creator Mike Mignola announced the R-rated reboot of the franchise with Marshall (“The Descent”) as the helmer of the project. Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Mignola are writing the script.

The news came two months after Guillermo del Toro, who directed 2004’s “Hellboy” and 2008’s “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” with Ron Perlman playing the titular character, announced “Hellboy 3” would not happen.

In weeks prior, the filmmaker had teased fans with “Hellboy 3,” putting polls on Twitter about the threequel and writing that he met with Perlman, who is “in for the sit down.”

That didn’t pan out, unfortunately, as del Toro is not attached to the upcoming reboot in which Harbour will play the titular hero. Harbour credited his performance as Jim Hopper in “Stranger Things” as the reason he will play Hellboy.

“It’s a character that I love, and sort of in the way, I think Mike [Mignola] and a bunch of other people saw me in ‘Stranger Things’ and wanted me to play Hellboy and I think he has some parallels to him. I think he’s another complicated anti-hero who is not strictly good or bad, he’s just trying to do the right thing. I think he’s a demon, he’s crazy, and he’s also sweet and vulnerable and neurotic […] so there’s a lot of complexity there.”

All in all, Harbour just wants to make a “good movie.”

“So often, the superhero movies can be really fun and I want this to be really fun, but I also want it to be more of a character piece and more about this dude’s struggle. I think it could be interesting,” he added. “I don’t know, I just hope we make a good movie. We’ll see. You be the judge!”

The first “Hellboy” earned a worldwide total of $99 million at the box office and starred Perlman and Selma Blair. Its sequel performed better, earning $160 million worldwide. Although the movies weren’t runaway smash hits, critics loved them, both earning a score in the 80s on Rotten Tomatoes.

Years ago, Harbour came close to starring in another superhero film when he auditioned for a “Wolverine” movie. The actor told TheWrap that he was body-shamed while auditioning for The Blob in one of the “Wolverine” films — he says a director actually told him he was too fat for the role.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 11:00

Ron and David had dinner together recently.

I follow him on Twitter, he posted a pic.
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Thu 29 Jun 2017 - 4:12

‘Hellboy’ Reboot Director Marshall to Prioritize Practical Effects over CG
If you have concerns that Neil Marshall‘s Hellboy reboot will be a CG-fest, let the director himself put those fears to rest. Though the project is still in the early stages of pre-production, Marshall recently spoke about his plans for the big-screen adaptation of Mike Mignola‘s comic book series–to be scripted by Mignola, Andrew Cosby, and Christopher Golden–that will star David Harbour in the title role.

In speaking to Mick Garris (Hocus Pocus) for his “Post Mortem” podcast (via EW), Marshall talked up his penchant for using practical, in-camera effects throughout his filmmaking career and the likelihood that he will continue to do so whenever he can. So you can probably expect Hellboy, his horns, and his red right hand to be done through a combination of make-up and costuming work, with the more outlandish effects left to the computer gurus.

Here are Marshall’s full quotes about the use of practical effects in his upcoming film:

“It’s definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.”

He also weighed in on the film’s aim for an R rating and how freeing that has been for adapting Mignola’s work:

“We’ve been granted permission to do it R-rated, which for me is just like taking the cuffs off. It’s like, okay, so now we can just make the movie we want to make. It’s not like I’m going to force it to be R-rated, but if it happens to come out that way, just because of my own sensibilities, then fine. And nobody’s going to stop us. So, that’s the main [difference]. And I’m sure, obviously, the success of things like Deadpool and Logan have not hurt that cause. But, also, when you go back the original material, it is kind of bloody, so I’m going to embrace that.”
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum