BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by WyldeMan Tue 9 May 2017 - 13:56

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Horizo10
Hellboy, the demonic comic book hero turned Guillermo del Toro film franchise, is poised to return to the big screen, this time without the filmmaker at the helm.

Millennium is in negotiations with producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin for a new installment that would reboot and relaunch the property. Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment is also producing.

Neil Marshall, the horror director who broke out with The Descent and won raves for his work on Game of Thrones, is in talks to direct the project, which has a working title of Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen and has a script by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola.

Del Toro is not involved, nor is Ron Perlman, the actor who inhabited the red-skinned, cigar-chomping devil in the two previous installments.

Rather, David Harbour, the Stranger Things star, is in talks to play Hellboy.

If a deal is made, Millennium would become the third company to make a Hellboy movie in as many releases.

Hellboy was created in 1993 by Mignola and became an indie comic hit as it told of a demon, raised by a professor, working to fight supernatural evildoers for an organization called Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense.

Del Toro co-wrote and directed the first adaptation, which was made by Revolution Studios and released by Sony in 2004. The movie made $60 million domestically (another $40 million internationally, asterisked by the fact that this was the era before international box-office dominated performance) on a budget of $66 million.

The second movie was made by Universal with the same team — del Toro and Perlman — but its box-office mojo was cut short when The Dark Knight, directed by Christopher Nolan and featuring Heath Ledger as the Joker, opened six days later.

But both movies engendered strong cult followings and there were rumblings of a third installment. Last year, del Toro, Dark Horse Entertainment, Levin and Gordon, the latter of whom controls the rights, explored their options. However, the budget was a stumbling block, with del Toro wanting a bigger canvas for his vision. In the end, the producers decided a reboot and relaunch was the more feasible route.

Last edited by WyldeMan on Wed 23 Mar 2022 - 5:46; edited 9 times in total
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Re: Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by UltimateMarvel Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:07

I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Empty Re: Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)

Post by Tyger Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:17

I was really excited for a minute, now I'm sad
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wed 10 May 2017 - 12:26

UltimateMarvel wrote:I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.

I'm with you on that. Of all the comic and graphic novels out there to adapt, they decide to reboot this?
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 10 May 2017 - 13:44

Rusty Cunt wrote:
UltimateMarvel wrote:I've never really liked Hellboy, at least I was never a fan of the previous movies.

I'm with you on that. Of all the comic and graphic novels out there to adapt, they decide to reboot this?

It's a very rich property for mining and GDT is too busy making every project except Hellboy and Perlman has gotten too old. Besides, everything old is new again.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Wed 10 May 2017 - 21:24

NOPE!

I Rebuke THEE!!!!!

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Sun 21 May 2017 - 15:55

Cannes: ‘Hellboy’ Reboot Attracts Big Chinese Bids
A bidding battle is under way in Cannes for Chinese rights to the reboot of the “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen” franchise. The project is being represented by Avi Lerner’s Millennium Films.

With bids in the region of $13 million for mainland China, the film is one of the hottest on the Croisette. International buyers are understood to have been told that the picture will be guaranteed a 2,000-screen release in North America.

The new “Hellboy” project emerged a couple of weeks ago with Mike Mignola, who created the original “Hellboy” comic, breaking the news on Facebook.

“Game of Thrones” and “The Descent” director Neil Marshall is attached to helm the film, and “Stranger Things” actor David Harbour in talks to star.

Among the highest bids for China is one understood to have come from a Guangzhou-based company that is not known to be a mainstream distributor. Finding the price too rich and fearing that the deal may collapse, other companies have dropped out.

Millennium has several action and genre projects that appeal to mainstream Chinese audiences. It licensed two — “Hunter Killer” and “Escobar” — in Berlin. Since the end of March, Millennium has been 51% owned by diverse Chinese conglomerate Recon.

Fans have been asking about a third “Hellboy” for years, following the original 2004 film and the 2008 sequel “Hellboy II: The Golden Army,” both of which starred Ron Perlman as the titular superhero and were directed by Guillermo del Toro. Both Perlman and del Toro  had previously talked down rumors of a third installment, with Perlman saying last year that “Hellboy 3” “probably will never happen.” Sony released the original “Hellboy,” with Universal distributing the sequel.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Mon 22 May 2017 - 2:44

GDT tried to shop another Hellboy sequel recently.

Perlman was on board.

Hollywood opted for this stupid reboot.

With that said, GDT is to blame for waiting too long.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Mon 22 May 2017 - 3:07

ForeverBlu wrote:GDT tried to shop another Hellboy sequel recently.

Perlman was on board.

Hollywood opted for this stupid reboot.

With that said, GDT is to blame for waiting too long.

GDT is 100% to blame in my mind because instead of making Hellboy 3 he chose to get involved with horrible trash like Mama, The Strain, Crimson Peak, Afraid of the Dark and a children's series and the upcoming Pinnochio, just literally anything but Hellboy 3. I once considered him one of my most favorite Directors and I got excited about each new film but he's become unwatchable over the last decade for me as I have yet to enjoy a single one of his projects after Hellboy 2.

Mignola isn't exactly happy that GDT continued to choose other projects over the last 7 years since GDT's work with The Hobbit ended. He wnats a darker direction and for his character to return to the screen and I can't blame him because I really want that too. I'm excited for a darker R rated version of Hellboy and I look forward to seeing what Neil Marshall will do with it.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 6:52

David Harbour Teases ‘Hellboy’ Reboot As ‘Darker,’ ‘More of a Character Piece’
David Harbour just wrapped filming the second season of Netflix’s “Stranger Things.” Now he’s preparing to start shooting “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen,” which he teased as “darker” and “more of a character piece” to TheWrap.

“We’re supposed to go in September, I hope,” he said during a recent interview with TheWrap. “It’s good. It’s a whole new thing. I’d always been a fan of the comics and there’s a darker tone to it and I think in the climate we have now there’s kind of a darker… a desire for more of that… the script is good and this guy Neil Marshall is directing who’s really good and the aesthetic is great.”

In April, “Hellboy” creator Mike Mignola announced the R-rated reboot of the franchise with Marshall (“The Descent”) as the helmer of the project. Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Mignola are writing the script.

The news came two months after Guillermo del Toro, who directed 2004’s “Hellboy” and 2008’s “Hellboy II: The Golden Army” with Ron Perlman playing the titular character, announced “Hellboy 3” would not happen.

In weeks prior, the filmmaker had teased fans with “Hellboy 3,” putting polls on Twitter about the threequel and writing that he met with Perlman, who is “in for the sit down.”

That didn’t pan out, unfortunately, as del Toro is not attached to the upcoming reboot in which Harbour will play the titular hero. Harbour credited his performance as Jim Hopper in “Stranger Things” as the reason he will play Hellboy.

“It’s a character that I love, and sort of in the way, I think Mike [Mignola] and a bunch of other people saw me in ‘Stranger Things’ and wanted me to play Hellboy and I think he has some parallels to him. I think he’s another complicated anti-hero who is not strictly good or bad, he’s just trying to do the right thing. I think he’s a demon, he’s crazy, and he’s also sweet and vulnerable and neurotic […] so there’s a lot of complexity there.”

All in all, Harbour just wants to make a “good movie.”

“So often, the superhero movies can be really fun and I want this to be really fun, but I also want it to be more of a character piece and more about this dude’s struggle. I think it could be interesting,” he added. “I don’t know, I just hope we make a good movie. We’ll see. You be the judge!”

The first “Hellboy” earned a worldwide total of $99 million at the box office and starred Perlman and Selma Blair. Its sequel performed better, earning $160 million worldwide. Although the movies weren’t runaway smash hits, critics loved them, both earning a score in the 80s on Rotten Tomatoes.

Years ago, Harbour came close to starring in another superhero film when he auditioned for a “Wolverine” movie. The actor told TheWrap that he was body-shamed while auditioning for The Blob in one of the “Wolverine” films — he says a director actually told him he was too fat for the role.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Thu 8 Jun 2017 - 11:00

Ron and David had dinner together recently.

I follow him on Twitter, he posted a pic.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 29 Jun 2017 - 4:12

‘Hellboy’ Reboot Director Marshall to Prioritize Practical Effects over CG
If you have concerns that Neil Marshall‘s Hellboy reboot will be a CG-fest, let the director himself put those fears to rest. Though the project is still in the early stages of pre-production, Marshall recently spoke about his plans for the big-screen adaptation of Mike Mignola‘s comic book series–to be scripted by Mignola, Andrew Cosby, and Christopher Golden–that will star David Harbour in the title role.

In speaking to Mick Garris (Hocus Pocus) for his “Post Mortem” podcast (via EW), Marshall talked up his penchant for using practical, in-camera effects throughout his filmmaking career and the likelihood that he will continue to do so whenever he can. So you can probably expect Hellboy, his horns, and his red right hand to be done through a combination of make-up and costuming work, with the more outlandish effects left to the computer gurus.

Here are Marshall’s full quotes about the use of practical effects in his upcoming film:

“It’s definitely going to be as practical as we can possibly make it. I love to do stuff in camera whenever I possibly can, and use CG as the amazing tool that it is, to enhance or expand upon the world, but not to use it to replace reality, when you can do it [for] real.”

He also weighed in on the film’s aim for an R rating and how freeing that has been for adapting Mignola’s work:

“We’ve been granted permission to do it R-rated, which for me is just like taking the cuffs off. It’s like, okay, so now we can just make the movie we want to make. It’s not like I’m going to force it to be R-rated, but if it happens to come out that way, just because of my own sensibilities, then fine. And nobody’s going to stop us. So, that’s the main [difference]. And I’m sure, obviously, the success of things like Deadpool and Logan have not hurt that cause. But, also, when you go back the original material, it is kind of bloody, so I’m going to embrace that.”
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 2 Aug 2017 - 10:22

Ian McShane Joins David Harbour in ‘Hellboy’ Reboot
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Ian-mc10

Ian McShane has joined David Harbour in Lionsgate and Millennium’s “Hellboy” reboot.

Harbour will star as the titular demonic hero from Mike Mignola’s comic books in the new film, titled “Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen.” McShane will play Hellboy’s adoptive father, Professor Trevor Broom.

“The Descent” director Neil Marshall is on board to helm. The new story sees Harbour’s hero squaring off against a sorceress who seeks to destroy humankind.

The project is eyeing a September start and will shoot in the U.K. and Bulgaria.

McShane currently stars on Starz’s “American Gods,” which has earned him some of his best reviews of his career since toplining the HBO series “Deadwood.” He also recently reprised his role in “John Wick 2” opposite Keanu Reeves.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 2 Aug 2017 - 10:23

Broom was played by the late great John Hurt in GDT's Hellboy. McShane is an interesting choice.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Sat 12 Aug 2017 - 1:25

Milla Jovovich Is the Blood Queen
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Aapl0n10
Just one week after Ian McShane signed on to play Professor Broom, the long-awaited Hellboy reboot has finally found its Blood Queen. Milla Jovovich is reportedly in final talks to play The Blood Queen in Lionsgate's new Hellboy adventure, alongside David Harbour as the title character. The production has also brought on another writer, with Aron Coliete (Heroes) taking a crack at the script that has been worked on by Andrew Crosby, Christopher Golden and Hellboy creator Mike Mingola.

Deadline broke the casting news earlier today, although it remains to be seen how many more pivotal characters will need to be cast before all is said and done. Still, this project has come together rather quickly, from Mike Mingola's initial Hellboy reboot announcement in May, which included the news of David Harbour starring as Hellboy and Neil Marshall directing. The script by Andrew Crosby had already been completed when the news was announced, and there was also a report that claimed production may begin as early as this September. With the cast coming together as quickly as it has, that report may in fact be true after all.

Director Neil Marshall has also confirmed that this will be an R-rated Hellboy reboot, after both of the previous Hellboy movies, 2004's Hellboy and 2008's Hellboy II: The Golden Army, were PG-13. While they were both lauded by fans and critics alike, neither movie made a massive dent at the box office, with Hellboy earning $59.6 million domestic and $99.3 million worldwide, from a $66 million budget, while Hellboy II: The Golden Army earned $75.9 million domestic and $160.3 million worldwide from an $85 million budget. While there has been an influx in popularity for R-rated fare over the past few years, with hits such as Deadpool, Logan and Get Out, it remains to be seen if the switch to R-rated fare will be more lucrative than its predecessors' PG-13 movies.

While no details have been given regarding the story, Hellboy reboot writer Andrew Crosby teased in May that the story is a "darker, more gruesome version of Hellboy." The writer added that new director Neil Marshall wanted to walk the "razor's edge" between a horror movie and a comic book movie, which falls closer in line to the edgier comics by Mike Mingola. As for the Blood Queen, it's unclear if this could be a character from the comics known as The Queen of Blood, a.k.a. Nimue. In the comics, this character is resurrected to battle Hellboy and bring him to his nemesis Gruagach, but Hellboy and his zombie knights defeat her, although she ends up dragging him back to hell with her.

David Harbour has previously shared photos before getting his facial cast made for the movie, although it remains to be seen when we'll get our first glimpse of the actor in full costume. Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson are producing for Millennium Films and Lionsgate, along with Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman, who are producing through Campbell Grobman Films. This Hellboy role of Blood Queen comes just months after Milla Jovovich closed out the Resident Evil franchise with Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, where she played the heroic Alice. This role marks a rare villainous role for the actress, so it will be interesting to see how fans respond to the casting.

Hellboy Title Confirmed, Will Completely Reboot Original Movie
Yesterday, we reported that Milla Jovovich was in final talks to play The Blood Queen in Lionsgate's Hellboy reboot, which makes sense since the project was reportedly being called Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen. While the casting news was apparently accurate, news of the subtitle was not, since a Lionsgate rep reached out to us this afternoon, confirming the project will only be known as Hellboy. Here's what the rep had to say in a brief statement.

"The official title is just Hellboy. The film is considered a reboot of the 2004 Hellboy, and is going by the same name."

The Lionsgate rep didn't add any additional details about the project, and while the title may not be Rise of the Blood Queen, that certainly doesn't nullify Milla Jovovich's casting as this character. What is less clear at this point is if The Blood Queen is the same character from the Mike Mingola comic books known as the Queen of Blood, a.k.a. Nimue, who was brought to life to bring Hellboy to his nemesis Gruagach. However, Hellboy resurrects an army of the dead and defeats her, but she ends up getting the last laugh, dragging him down to hell with her. Since no concrete plot details have been released yet, it's possible that this could be the Queen of Blood, or a completely different character created for this movie.

There was a report last month that this Hellboy reboot was almost going to continue Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy universe, but that didn't happen. Hellboy comic book creator Mike Mingola revealed in a social media post that he started working with screenwriter Andrew Crosby three years ago on a new story, and Guillermo del Toro wanted nothing to do with the project, and Ron Perlman in turn followed suite. With a new story in place, and a new director in Neil Marshall, they decided to forge ahead with a reboot, instead of a continuation of the first two movies, 2004's Hellboy and 2008's Hellboy II: The Golden Army.

It has also been confirmed that this Hellboy reboot will in fact be R-rated, with writer Andrew Crosby teasing that this story is a much more dark and gruesome version of Hellboy than fans have seen in the earlier movies. Still, since the first two movies were no box office blockbusters by any means, it's certainly an interesting strategy, but one that could pay off big, especially given the recent success of R-rated movies like Deadpool, Logan and Get Out. Of course, since there is virtually nothing we know about this story at the moment, it's impossible to tell now if this R-rated gamble will pay off when Hellboy hits theaters. With production reportedly starting next month, we could find out much more about this project.

David Harbour will step into the Hellboy shoes previously occupied by Ron Perlman, with both actors recently meeting for a special dinner in New York City, organized by Patton Oswalt, with photos from the dinner going viral. It was also recently confirmed that Ian McShane will take on the role of Professor Broom, played by John Hurt in the first two movies. It isn't known at this time if characters like Abe Sapien (Doug Jones) and Liz Sherman (Selma Blair) from the first two movies will be involved in this reboot, or who will be playing them.

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger Sun 13 Aug 2017 - 5:32

Ugh, even if it's a full reboot, subtitles are a good thing
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Sun 13 Aug 2017 - 5:39

Tyger wrote:Ugh, even if it's a full reboot, subtitles are a good thing

I'm sure they'll give it a modified one soon enough.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 16 Aug 2017 - 1:23

Hellboy Reboot Will Bring in B.P.R.D. and Introduce New Characters
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Bprd10
Last week it was announced that the Hellboy reboot will simply be called Hellboy, and not Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen as previously reported. Today, we have even more details about the script, including some new and returning characters that will be featured in this thrilling adventure. Comic book creator Mike Mignola recently teased that this reboot will include the Bureau of Paranorman Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.), and today we have more details about where the B.P.R.D. will be setting up shop, along with news of never-before-seen characters from the comics, along with a few that were featured in the first two Hellboy movies. There will be potential SPOILERS below, so read on at your own risk.

One of Splash Report's sources reveals that the B.P.R.D. headquarters will be located, "on a snow-capped mountainside," although no specific location details were given. Inside the B.P.R.D. fans will get to see, "cryptid skeletons, freakish things encased in formaldehyde, period weapons," along with "the symbol of a hand holding a sword, with the words: IN ABSENTIA LUCI, TENEBRAE VINCIUNT," the Latin motto of the B.P.R.D. which translates to "In the absence of light, darkness conquers." This report also reveals who the members of this organization will be in the reboot.

Alongside David Harbour's Hellboy, the B.P.R.D. will also include Abe Sapien, played by Doug Jones in the original movies, along with characters who haven't been featured in the movie before, such as Alice Monaghan, who can "hear dead people" and will also be using the "Spirit Wrack," and Major Ben Daimio, described as a "rugged military type with cold, calculating eyes, close-cropped hair and three jagged scars raked across his grizzled face." This character will also have a "cool transformation" in the movie, which was not disclosed. Other characters that will be featured include the Gruagach, a "fairy creature that looks like a pig and is a vengeful adversary of Hellboy," who blames the title character for his "current state and wants revenge." Others include Babe Yaga the Witch along with King Arthur and Merlin.

This report also confirms that this project will in fact be an R-rated reboot, which we've heard several times in the past, with the plot said to be a "darker horror story" instead of lighter, more comedic stories that have been told in the first two movies. Production will take place in London, with the story also featuring a massive creature with giant tentacles which wraps its limbs around the London Bridge. This report also claims that the story will be left "wide up for a sequel," with the end of the movie showing who Hellboy will be going after next.

This report doesn't shed any light on a report from May, which claimed that the Hellboy reboot starts filming in September. Lionsgate has yet to set a release date, and the studio is still in casting mode, with Ian McShane recently coming aboard to play Professor Broom, with Milla Jovovich taking on a rare villainous role as the infamous Blood Queen. It isn't reported when we may have casting news about the other characters mentioned in this report, but if filming on this Hellboy reboot will in fact begin next month, we could hear more about this project sooner than later.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:11

Hellboy Reboot Adds American Honey Star Sasha Lane
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Negcad10
Just one day after a report surfaced claiming the new Hellboy reboot will feature the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense (B.P.R.D.) and comic book characters such as Abe Sapien, Alice Monaghan and Ben Daimio, the Alice character has been cast. Sasha Lane, the 21-year-old actress who made her breakthrough feature film debut with last year's American Honey, is in final negotiations to play Alice Monaghan, who in the original Mike Mignola comics was a love interest for Hellboy (David Harbour). It isn't clear at this time how many more major characters have yet to be cast, but this diverse ensemble is coming together quite quickly.

The Hollywood Reporter broke the news on this casting earlier today, while also confirming a report from May that the Hellboy reboot starts filming in September. While it isn't clear who will play Abe Sapien or Ben Daimio quite yet, Sasha Lane joins a cast that also includes Milla Jovovich as The Blood Queen and Ian McShane as Professor Broom, a character played by John Hurt in 2004's Hellboy and 2008's Hellboy II: The Golden Army. While Abe Sapien was played by Doug Jones in those movies, the Alice Monaghan and Ben Daimio characters were not featured.

This report also claims that the story follows Hellboy squaring off against a "medieval sorceress," the aforementioned Blood Queen, who has designs on destroying the world as we know it. In the comic books, Alice Monaghan was rescued by Hellboy from the faeries who kidnapped her, and she retains some "supernatural gifts" thanks to all the time she has spent with the faeries. One of these gifts was Alice's ability to "hear dead people" and she can also use the "Spirit Wrack" in this movie. Still, it remains unclear if she will become a love interest to Hellboy, but since we haven't heard about the involvement of the Liz Sherman character, played by Selma Blair in the first two movies it's possible Alice Monaghan will be Hellboy's go-to girlfriend.

It was also recently confirmed that this project will be titled Hellboy, and not Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen, as previously reported. While there had been talk of merely continuing the story laid out by writer-director Guillermo del Toro and star Ron Perlman, with a new cast and crew, it was also recently confirmed that this will be a complete reboot that will start the story over from scratch. This will also be the first R-rated Hellboy movie, with the story said to be much darker and more gruesome that the first two movies before it. Still, we won't know for sure how much more dark and gruesome it is until production begins and we can see the first footage.

Stranger Things star David Harbour takes over the title role from Ron Perlman, with Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game of Thrones) directing from a script that has been worked on by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden and Mike Mignola. Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin will produce with Dark Horse Entertainment's Mike Richardson. After making her feature film debut in A24's critically-acclaimed American Honey, Sasha Lane has been lining up projects left and right, although this Hellboy reboot will mark her first major studio project. She most recently shot The Miseducation of Cameron Post alongside Chloe Moretz and Shotgun with Maika Monroe, with others such as Freak Shift, Shoplifters of the World and Hunting Lila in pre-production. With the cast coming together so quickly we may be hearing about more Hellboy casting additions sooner rather than later.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:13

All redheaded leading ladies from comics are being completely written out in live action adaptations for a more "diverse" approach these days and yet the diversity always happens to be AA.

And what's rarer than a Redhead these days?!
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:35

Sasha Lane is Biracial, not African-American.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:36

ForeverBlu wrote:Sasha Lane is Biracial, not African-American.

Well she sure doesn't look like a redhead.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:41

The character is a Ginger in the comic?

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 17 Aug 2017 - 5:47

ForeverBlu wrote:The character is a Ginger in the comic?

Not only was she a redhead but her being of Irish blood heavily played into her origin story and her major arcs later in the comics since they heavily involved the fairies and her becoming Queen of them so they must be totally rewriting her story.

Alice was ignored in favor of Liz Sherman in GDT's films and I had high hopes for a long time that eventually be done in live action and she'd be done, I'd imagined Jessica Chastain or Amy Adams in the role but clearly they weren't even going to be options.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Tue 22 Aug 2017 - 12:37

Hellboy Reboot Gets Deadpool Star Ed Skrein
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Gettyi12

Ed Skrein, who played the villain in Deadpool, has joined the cast of Lionsgate and Millennium’s Hellboy reboot.

David Harbour is toplining as the demonic hero from the Mike Mignola comic books in a new feature that is being directed by Game of Thrones helmer Neil Marshall.

Ian McShane is already cast as the hero’s adoptive father, while Milla Jovovich is playing the villainess, a medieval sorceress out to destroy humankind.

Skrein will play Major Ben Daimio, a rugged military member of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense who, due to a supernatural encounter, can turn into a jaguar when angered or in pain.

The project is heading toward a September start and will shoot in the U.K. and Bulgaria.

Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin are among the producers, as is Mike Richardson of Dark Horse Entertainment.

Skrein played the villain Ajax in Deadpool, the 2016 Ryan Reynolds hit that made $783 million worldwide. The Britain-born actor also headlined 2015’s The Transporter Refueled and will be seen in Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel, due in theaters in summer 2018.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 24 Aug 2017 - 22:55

Casting Of Ed Skrein As Japanese Character Draws Whitewashing Backlash
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Skrein10
The latest casting of Ed Skrein in the upcoming Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen has raised a lot of eyebrows — specifically in the Asian American community. The British actor is set to play the role of Ben Daimio, who, in the Mike Mignola comic books, is a Japanese American whose heritage has a heavy influence on his character.

Skrein took to Twitter to express his excitement in the role in the Hellboy reboot of an Asian character, whose grandmother was a Japanese Imperial assassin in World War II. True to Internet form, a backlash ignited and it wasn’t long until a flood of comments filled his feed.

One commenter said, “You’re a talented actor; why would you take away a role from an Asian colleague?” Asian actor Simu Liu (Taken, Kim’s Convenience) chimed in saying “Hey Hollywood, how many box office flops does it take for you to learn how to cast properly? #hellboy #whitewashedout” while Stephanie Sheh, an actress who does voiceover work in anime, said “Here we go again. Why Hollywood do you keep forcing me to boycott your films. #whitewash #hellboy.” Amidst the backlash, Hellboy creator Mignola chimed in saying, “Thanks and happy you’ve signed on.” Lionsgate declined to comment about the casting when contacted by Deadline.

There was less of a concern of dragging Skrein and more of focus on why something like this would happen again after Hollywood’s recent track record of casting white actors as Asian and Asian American characters — which hasn’t gone over to well. Most recently Netflix’s adaptation of the manga Death Note was under fire for whitewashing, using white actors as a replacement for characters of color. The original source material follows a Japanese teen named Light Yagami, but in the reboot, he is played by a white teen in Seattle named Light Turner, played by Nat Wolff. In addition, his love interest is named Mia Sutton who is played by Margaret Qualley. In the manga, her name is  Misa Amane — who is also portrayed as Japanese.

Previous to Death Note, there has been numerous amount of “whitewashing” of Asian roles that have lit a fire under the Asian American community. Emma Stone portrayed Allison Ng in Cameron Crowe’s Aloha.  With a last name like “Ng” it is obvious that the character is Asian. Her heritage in the movie is revealed as one-quarter Hawaiian, with a half-Asian father. The casting of Tilda Swinton as “The Ancient One” in Doctor Strange was appreciated for its gender-swapping but was frowned upon because the character is traditionally Asian.

Other “whitewashing” controversies that have been hovering over Hollywood include  Scarlett Johansson in the starring role in the live-adaptation of Ghost in the Shell as the Major, who, in the original source material has the Japanese name Major Motoko Kusanagi. Matt Damon in The Great Wall was another source of controversy as well as the announcement of Black Sails actor Zach McGowan as the star of Ni’ihau, a film based on a true story set during WWII when Shigenori Nishikaichi, an Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service pilot, crash-landed his Zero on the eponymous Hawaiian island after participating in the attack on Pearl Harbor. McGowan will play Ben Kanahele, an island leader who saves Nishikaichi before learning his part in the attack. Kanahele is Pacific Islander and McGowan is of Jewish and Irish descent.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 7:15

Skrein Leaves ‘Hellboy’ Reboot After Whitewashing Backlash
Last week, Ed Skrein was excited to announce he would be playing the character of Major Ben Daimio in the upcoming Hellboy: Rise Of The Blood QueenIn the comics, the character is of Asian heritage, and the news prompted immediate backlash from the Asian Pacific American community. Today, Skrein took to Twitter responding to the public outcry, saying he is stepping down from the role and that, “I must do what I feel is right.”

In a statement to Deadline, Hellboy producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin, Lionsgate and Millennium said: “Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision.  It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

Ending his tweet with “I hope it makes a difference,” Skrein made it clear he was listening to the APA community and is aware of the importance of inclusion and proper representation in the arts. His thoughtful response and decision to leave the project may be the start of more projects to follow suit when casting roles meant for people of color.
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Divrab10
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Tue 29 Aug 2017 - 22:57

Well, I never expected that.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 31 Aug 2017 - 8:35

‘Hellboy’ Adds ‘Hemlock’ Actress Penelope Mitchell
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Intro-10

Penelope Mitchell has joined the Neil Marshall-directed reboot Hellboy: Rise Of The Blood Queen from Lionsgate and Millennium Films. The film was written by Andrew Cosby, Christopher Golden, Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, and Aron Coleite.

Mitchell will play the role of Ganeida, an elder witch who has decided that Nimue’s wrath has gone on for too long and must be stopped.

Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Mike Richardson are producing, along with Campbell Grobman Films’ Christa Campbell and Lati Grobman.

The announcement of Mitchell’s casting comes shortly after actor Ed Skrein, who was initially cast in the movie as a Japanese character, made headlines for exiting the project following criticism of whitewashing.

WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 31 Aug 2017 - 8:37

Nice addition, though I believe Ganeida was quite haggard and old in the pages, lol.

FYI, Penelope was the first Goddess of the Silver Screen I posted in our thread nearly three years ago.

She's also Radha Mitchell's cousin, co-star of Pitch Black.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 11:58

Hawaii Five-O's Daniel Dae Kim is in talks to talk over the role that Skrein got dragged for.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 12:00

WyldeMan wrote:Hawaii Five-O's Daniel Dae Kim is in talks to talk over the role that Skrein got dragged for.

An actual Asian actor.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel Tue 12 Sep 2017 - 13:22

Ed really cares about comic books. Saw him in an interview for Deadpool a while ago and he's really a fan and knows his shit. Any other actor and they wouldn't have dripped the role for the money. Respect!

Penelope Mitchell is a nice addition. Haven't seen her since The Vampire Diaries I believe.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 12:37

Daaaamn, Harbour looks awesome!

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Djow7o10

"Please allow to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..." - @DavidHarbour

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Hellbo11
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 5:45

Well, okay then.

When Perlman played HB, you could still see it was him under the make up and efx,

David Harbour has literally disappeared.

Had I not known about him being cast, wouldn't know who was under the make up in these pics.

Those knots on his forehead are a bit large, but he looks better that I expected.

But can he embody the persona, being a smartass and chompin on the stogies.

That will be the real test.

Last edited by ForeverBlu on Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 6:02; edited 2 times in total

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 5:52

ForeverBlu wrote:Well, okay then.

Is that approval?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 6:01

WyldeMan wrote:

Is that approval?

Read my post above.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 6:12

When Perlman played HB, you could still see it was him under the make up and efx,

David Harbour has literally disappeared.

Had I not known about him being cast, wouldn't know who was under the make up in these pics.

Those knots on his forehead are a bit large, but he looks better that I expected.

But can he embody the persona, being a smartass and chompin on the stogies.

That will be the real test.

Very solid points but my own first reaction was how incredible Hellboy looks. I was not expecting that, I feared they'd take a drastically different approach given the other changes so far with casting but when I saw him so much doubt went away. However, as you said it's all going to be about his performance so until we get a trailer it's just a few pics and I should temper my happiness. However, I still can't wait to see how gritty and dark they make his world so hopefully other pics get shared soon.

As for the knot size of his horns...

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Hellbo12

After you mentioned the horns I then noticed his hairline, didn't even realize all that hair right up to the horn line before now on Harbour, unlike the nearly bald Hellboy of the comics and previous films.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 6:38

Perlman and Harbour met for dinner here in NYC.

Not long after his casting was announced, very classy of Ron.

The torch has been officially passed, hope those that go see this give him a fair shot.

I'll catch it on cable, but good luck to him.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 7:57

I thought there wouldn't be that much of a difference between him and Pearlman but they did a great job, looks way different and definitely unrecognizable.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Fri 15 Sep 2017 - 11:58

UltimateMarvel wrote:I thought there wouldn't be that much of a difference between him and Pearlman but they did a great job, looks way different and definitely unrecognizable.

Hellboy looks way more sinister and I really like that his body actually looks like flesh and not that smoothed over suit that Perlman had which was a too close adaptation from the comics. Given that this is going to be hard R, I get the feeling it's only going to get a lot darker from here. Twisted Evil
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 3 Oct 2018 - 23:27

First piece of Hellboy marketing in over a year.

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Docsip10
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Sat 6 Oct 2018 - 23:32

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Dowben10

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Tue 20 Nov 2018 - 8:08

Hellboy Day Announced for 2019
Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Dsd7my10
Next year is officially the 25th anniversary of Hellboy, and creator Mike Mignola, as well as publisher Dark Horse Comics, intend to celebrate the momentous occasion in style. They have officially announced the first ever Hellboy Day, set for March 23, 2019, a holiday dedicated to celebrating the big red hell-spawned hero's legacy. Mignola had this to say about the announcement in a statement.

"When I created Hellboy way back when, I never imagined he would be around long enough to celebrate a 25th anniversary. I'm grateful to the writers, artists, colorists and letterers who have joined me in telling Hellboy stories or all these years. And, of course, so grateful to the fans. This thing could not exist without their support, and it's a pleasure every time I get to go out to meet them."

Dark Horse Comics will be doing several things to make Hellboy Day worth marking down in fans' calendars. They will be republishing the character's first ever full comic book appearance, Seed of Destruction #1, which will feature a new cover from Mike Mignola and his longtime collaborator Dave Stewart. Mignola is also scheduled to appear at a signing at Earth 2 Comics in Sherman Oaks, California on the first edition of this newly minted day of celebration.

In addition, Dark Horse is offering various promotional material for retailers. This includes a tattoo sheet, a Right Hand of Doom bookmark, window cling, a Hellboy open/close store sign. Plus, they're bringing up a new version of the "Mignolaverse" timeline, which recently debuted at New York Comic Con. To top it all off, the publisher is offering promotional pricing on its back catalog of Hellboy titles. Stores that participate will be entered in a drawing for prizes from Dark Horse.

The timing of the event is rather convenient. The new Hellboy reboot, which comes from director Neil Marshall (The Descent) and stars David Harbour (Stranger Things) as the titular character, is set to hit theaters just a few weeks after Hellboy Day on April 12, 2019. This could serve as a nice way to get a last-second promotional boost for the movie, which is being eyed as a hopeful start to a brand new franchise.

Hellboy was first introduced to the world in 1993 in the pages of San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2 before getting his own series in 1994. A decade later, director Guillermo del Toro would bring the character to the big screen with a live-action Hellboy movie, which was followed up by the 2008 sequel, Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Unfortunately, Guillermo del Toro never got to finish up his trilogy, but his movies, with the help or Ron Perlman's portrayal, did help bring the character to the masses. Next year's reboot will finally bring him into the modern comic book movie landscape. Dark Horse has also released a poster for Hellboy day, which you can check out below. This news originated with The Hollywood Reporter.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan Wed 28 Nov 2018 - 4:07

Hellboy ($55 Million Worldwide Box Office)  Ds8x-r10

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next