Dune (Legendary Lands Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dune (Legendary Lands Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel)

Post by WyldeMan on 11/21/2016, 1:46 pm

Legendary Entertainment has acquired the rights from the Frank Herbert estate for his iconic novel “Dune,” granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the work.

The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and TV projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

The novel was also adapted as the 1984 film directed by David Lynch. The film starred Kyle MacLachlan and at the time was thought of as a flop, getting poor reviews and grossing just $30.9 million, but more recently has attained cult status.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” tells the story of Paul Atreides, whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The sprawling novel was thought of as a challenge to film, particularly before the advent of sophisticated CGI effect. In 1973, Alexander Jodorowsky famously started on an adaptation that was to star the mind-boggling cast of Salvador Dali, Orson Welles, Gloria Swanson, and Mick Jagger, but failed to get funding. Directors including Ridley Scott were also said to be interested.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dune (Legendary Lands Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel)

Post by WyldeMan on 11/21/2016, 1:47 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kernel_thai on 11/23/2016, 2:33 pm

Kind of favor the sy fy mini series myself. The novel is a bit dense to do well in a 2 hour film.
kernel_thai

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 11/23/2016, 5:56 pm

kernel_thai wrote:Kind of favor the sy fy mini series myself.  The novel is a bit dense to do well in a 2 hour film.

I've only seen the Lynch version, there was a syfy mini????
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty on 11/23/2016, 6:34 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
kernel_thai wrote:Kind of favor the sy fy mini series myself.  The novel is a bit dense to do well in a 2 hour film.

I remember that. It was a 3, maybe 4 episode mini-series. It was also terrible. haha I hated it. The only thing I remember about it was William Hurt, and the fact that I never needed to watch it again.
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 11/23/2016, 7:21 pm

Rusty Cunt wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

I remember that. It was a 3, maybe 4 episode mini-series. It was also terrible. haha I hated it. The only thing I remember about it was William Hurt, and the fact that I never needed to watch it again.

Legendary could have another monster franchise on their hands.

WOAH........I had no idea AND they made two of em!!! And the sequel has James McAvoy and Susan Sarandon! WTH...... Razz Razz Razz

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kernel_thai on 11/24/2016, 9:54 am

Rusty Cunt wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

What...u didnt even like the hats???
kernel_thai

Back to top Go down

Post by kernel_thai on 11/24/2016, 9:56 am

WyldeMan wrote:
Rusty Cunt wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:

Legendary could have another monster franchise on their hands.

WOAH........I had no idea AND they made two of em!!! And the sequel has James McAvoy and Susan Sarandon! WTH...... Razz Razz Razz

Sequel was abysmal IMO but I didnt like book versions either.
kernel_thai

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/6/2017, 11:01 am

‘Forrest Gump’ Writer Eric Roth to Pen Denis Villeneuve’s ‘Dune’ Reboot

Legendary has tapped veteran scribe Eric Roth to write the “Dune” reboot.

“Arrival” and “Sicario” filmmaker Denis Villeneuve is directing the movie.

Legendary closed a deal with the Frank Herbert estate last Thanksgiving for his iconic novel, granting the studio rights to not only films, but also TV projects on the sci-fi property.

The projects would be produced by Villeneuve, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Thomas Tull and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers. Kevin J Anderson will serve as a creative consultant.

Set in the distant future, “Dune” follows Paul Atreides, whose family assumes control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, jurisdiction over Arrakis is contested among competing noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature, as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s reign.

The book has sold almost 20 million copies since its original release and in 2003 was named the best-selling sci fi novel of all time.

The novel was also adapted for the 1984 film directed by David Lynch. The movie, which starred Kyle MacLachlan, was initially considered a flop — it was critically panned and grossed just $30.9 million on a $40 million budget — but has recently attained cult status.

Best known for his work on Oscar fare such as “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Munich,” and “Forrest Gump,” which earned Roth his only Academy Award, this movie would mark Roth’s first foray into the world of science fiction.

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/6/2017, 11:03 am

With Villeneuve directing, I keep expecting the Gyllenhaal as Atreides announcement.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum