BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts

+2
Rusty
UltimateMarvel
6 posters

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts - Page 14 Empty Re: Random Thoughts

Post by WyldeMan 3/7/2017, 6:28 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:For anybody without cable do you just download new shows through torrents or do you have paid subscription accounts that let you watch the latest programming? I've heard about SlingTV, Netflix and Hulu mentioned by most folks online but it's one thing reading random opinions versus talking to someone with the system.

I don't have cable and I download, no internet cap for me on Spectrum. I also have Netflix though so for catching up on shows and those Netflix exclusives, I just watch there.

Out of curiosity do you need multiple Netflix accounts for more than one user or can multiple users linked to one account log in on separate machines?

Community
Hunters
Suburra: Blood on Rome
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/7/2017, 7:18 pm

WyldeMan wrote:

Out of curiosity do you need multiple Netflix accounts for more than one user or can multiple users linked to one account log in on separate machines?

A think a basic account allows 2 users to watch on the same account - on 6 devices total. Meaning you can watch it on your TV while your flatmate watches something different on their computer

If you want more people, you have to up to a family account.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/7/2017, 7:29 pm

I'm on the two account plan. I mainly watch Netflix on my PS3 and maybe once in a blue moon on my spare smartphone right before I sleep. It's pretty nifty. But I'm not sure Netflix is a viable option for you if you have a cap on your internet. You will burn through your data so fast watching TV shows and movies.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/7/2017, 8:47 pm

joey con carne wrote:I'm on the two account plan. I mainly watch Netflix on my PS3 and maybe once in a blue moon on my spare smartphone right before I sleep. It's pretty nifty. But I'm not sure Netflix is a viable option for you if you have a cap on your internet. You will burn through your data so fast watching TV shows and movies.

Absolutely. I was only able to get Netflix once I had an unlimited plan. I would have killed my previous cap in 2 days.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/8/2017, 5:41 am

Rusty Cunt wrote:
joey con carne wrote:I'm on the two account plan. I mainly watch Netflix on my PS3 and maybe once in a blue moon on my spare smartphone right before I sleep. It's pretty nifty. But I'm not sure Netflix is a viable option for you if you have a cap on your internet. You will burn through your data so fast watching TV shows and movies.

Absolutely. I was only able to get Netflix once I had an unlimited plan. I would have killed my previous cap in 2 days.

I actually switched to an unlimited internet plan yesterday so it's all good now.

I hadn't been on Netflix in years and I've never been able to use their streaming. I was blown away by the amount of content I saw last night. As someone who's spent the last decade years pretty much downloading everything I wanted to watch, what a striking change of pace.

$10 a month is probably the greatest deal there is compared to the $150 I was paying for cable with a thousand channels I never watched.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/8/2017, 6:21 am

Holy Shit......Vault 7........ Shocked Shocked Shocked

Our government is watching and listening and Assange just released 8k pages of classified info telling you exactly how.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/8/2017, 12:28 pm

Dude, Netflix streaming is freaking ridiculous. So many good movies and television shows. Sure, they may not have all the latest and greatest releases all the time but they definitely have enough content to keep you occupied for a good long while.

You can probably stop the DVD subscription now, too.

But you know what? You will probably hit a wall like I do sometimes. With all that content at your fingertips, you will find youself saying "This sucks. There's nothing good on!"

Two additional side comments:

1. The bear incident with the Treat guy. That sucks.

2. I haven't read any of the wikileaks stuff but I'm not surprised the US government is watching us. I guess knowing it and then actually knowing it makes it feel a bit weird but I can't say I'm surprised. I realize I use the word "surprise" twice but fuck it.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/8/2017, 3:57 pm

joey con carne wrote:Dude, Netflix streaming is freaking ridiculous. So many good movies and television shows. Sure, they may not have all the latest and greatest releases all the time but they definitely have enough content to keep you occupied for a good long while.

You can probably stop the DVD subscription now, too.

But you know what? You will probably hit a wall like I do sometimes. With all that content at your fingertips, you will find youself saying "This sucks. There's nothing good on!"

Two additional side comments:

1. The bear incident with the Treat guy. That sucks.

2. I haven't read any of the wikileaks stuff but I'm not surprised the US government is watching us. I guess knowing it and then actually knowing it makes it feel a bit weird but I can't say I'm surprised. I realize I use the word "surprise" twice but fuck it.

I haven't actually had the Netflix DVD subscription in 6 years or so, maybe longer. I can't believe $10 for all that HD content.....and here i was downloading 480 torrents because I had such a small monthly cap before switching.....

I started watching a series called "Zoo" and I can't stop laughing at how awesome it is. Animals reclaiming the planet from people by coordinating attacks worldwide and murdering them all? That's good shit!

The bear incident makes me laugh every single time I think about it. Except for the poor bear, probably got a few broken ribs and went off to die after it revenged itself on that dumb fuck. Darwin Awards are the highlight of my life sometimes.....

All those cameras on every single millennial's devices, being turned on to record everything it sees and hears. Big brother doesn't need to watch us, we watch everyone for them and even provide their surveillance taps by bringing them willingly into our homes.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/8/2017, 9:22 pm

joey con carne wrote:

But you know what? You will probably hit a wall like I do sometimes. With all that content at your fingertips, you will find yourself saying "This sucks. There's nothing good on!"

This. It's what I'm going through now. There's a lot of content, and a lot that I haven't watched, but everything I watch I turn off after 10 minutes and say "nope, that's not it".

I'm in a mood to watch something - but I don't know what, and I can't figure it out. Cool

WyldeMan wrote:I can't believe $10 for all that HD content.....and here i was downloading 480 torrents because I had such a small monthly cap before switching.....

I started watching a series called "Zoo" and I can't stop laughing at how awesome it is. Animals reclaiming the planet from people by coordinating attacks worldwide and murdering them all? That's good shit!

The disadvantage streaming has over downloading, or even buying, is that the content can get pulled at any time. Netflix may get rights to something, but it may only be short-term. Just recently they pulled all their CW shows, because CW, or whomever owns them, decided they wanted to try their hands at their own streaming service. A bunch of Supernatural fans signed up just for that show (first 9-10 season were up), and where half way through when it got pulled, so they complained and Netflix refunded a bunch of payments.

The only thing somewhat guaranteed to not disappear is Netflix original content.

Also, with non-Netflix Original content, you'll never be up to date. Most TV shows only show up when the season has finished airing on their regular Network, so if you need to be current, Netflix won't help.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/8/2017, 11:06 pm

I wish Netflix would try harder on that. I watched Heroes on Netflix just before season 4 started and was happy that season 4 episodes were actually hitting Netflix I think it was a week after airing, I loved it. I haven't known them to do anything like that since.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/8/2017, 11:32 pm

Tyger wrote:I wish Netflix would try harder on that. I watched Heroes on Netflix just before season 4 started and was happy that season 4 episodes were actually hitting Netflix I think it was a week after airing, I loved it. I haven't known them to do anything like that since.

They did it, in some part, with Shooter. They aired the pilot soon after, but then nothing for a few weeks, then dumped 4-5 episodes on one day.

Problem is most shows, especially those with a season or 2 under their belt's, already have deals with other networks/services. Netflix is now a viable option, but it still might be a while until that happens with anything other than a new series.

There's also politics. Plenty of networks will be telling production companies that if they go to Netflix to distribute something, that network won't consider any of their future productions.

Netflix has been doing the same. They've been telling people at film festivals that if they deal with certain people that have turned down an offer from Netflix, they'll no longer consider other works they bring them.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/9/2017, 11:09 am

Rusty Cunt wrote:The disadvantage streaming has over downloading, or even buying, is that the content can get pulled at any time. Netflix may get rights to something, but it may only be short-term. Just recently they pulled all their CW shows, because CW, or whomever owns them, decided they wanted to try their hands at their own streaming service. A bunch of Supernatural fans signed up just for that show (first 9-10 season were up), and where half way through when it got pulled, so they complained and Netflix refunded a bunch of payments.

Hey Rust, not sure if it was just in Australia or they worked out a deal with The CW but I just checked and I found that Netflix has every released season of Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supernatural, The 100, iZombie, Vampire Diaries and The Originals available for streaming right now as well as their one season shows they just cancelled in the last month or so like Frequency and No Tomorrow. I typed "CW" into the search box and got 34 hits, which is just about every single CW title and even some WB shows of the last ten years came up as available for streaming, the only CW/WB series that even comes to mind that I didn't see was Smallville.

Vampire Diaires airs the season 8 series finale tomorrow night and Netflix is adding the full final season on March 18th to the rest of their VD streaming collection. Is that a fairly common release scheduling or is it just on random titles cause I also saw season 2 of Better Call Saul is hitting streaming but it's been a year since it finished airing. Just not sure if Netflix releases the same day things hit disc or they have their own scheduling.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/9/2017, 11:18 am

I think it's definitely a licensing thing. I can confirm what WyldeMang stated: here in the US we gotz tons of CW shows.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/9/2017, 11:26 am

joey con carne wrote:I think it's definitely a licensing thing. I can confirm what WyldeMang stated: here in the US we gotz tons of CW shows.

I was beyond shocked to see that Netflix however does not have the greatest series that ever was or will be; Vikings. I consider this to be a grievous injustice, a crime against the viewership of humanity.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/9/2017, 12:40 pm

It was Hulu that lost all the CW shows, the CW app only has recent episodes then when the season ends the show is supposed to hit Netflix shortly after
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/9/2017, 1:25 pm

Tyger wrote:It was Hulu that lost all the CW shows, the CW app only has recent episodes then when the season ends the show is supposed to hit Netflix shortly after

Does anybody use Hulu? The only thing I even know about it is that you still have to watch commercials and they release new episodes of their shows in a weekly format which is fuckin dumb in 2017. But is their service of any actual value?

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/9/2017, 2:53 pm

WyldeMan wrote:

Hey Rust, not sure if it was just in Australia or they worked out a deal with The CW but I just checked and I found that Netflix has every released season of Arrow, Flash, Legends, Supernatural, The 100, iZombie, Vampire Diaries and The Originals available for streaming right now as well as their one season shows they just cancelled in the last month or so like Frequency and No Tomorrow. I typed "CW" into the search box and got 34 hits, which is just about every single CW title and even some WB shows of the last ten years came up as available for streaming, the only CW/WB series that even comes to mind that I didn't see was Smallville.

joey con carne wrote:I think it's definitely a licensing thing. I can confirm what WyldeMang stated: here in the US we gotz tons of CW shows.

Tyger wrote:It was Hulu that lost all the CW shows, the CW app only has recent episodes then when the season ends the show is supposed to hit Netflix shortly after

I should have mentioned that the CW shows did return after a couple weeks. (although Supernatural didn't in Australia - again, local license horseshit). I believe they were making a new deal, so the shows were puller whilst it got hashed out.

WyldeMan wrote:
Vampire Diaries airs the season 8 series finale tomorrow night and Netflix is adding the full final season on March 18th to the rest of their VD streaming collection. Is that a fairly common release scheduling or is it just on random titles cause I also saw season 2 of Better Call Saul is hitting streaming but it's been a year since it finished airing. Just not sure if Netflix releases the same day things hit disc or they have their own scheduling.

It just depends on the show and network it's coming from. Some pop up a week or two after it's finished airing. Some when they hit home video (Blu etc), and some well after Blu's have been released - I'd say it depends on how good a seller it is on Blu/DVD. If it's a show that sells well on Blu, they probably won't want to lose that by offering it earlier.

The CW deal I mentioned above gives Netflix exclusive streaming rights to all CW content. Within 2 weeks of a CW season wrapping, it will be on Netflix.

WyldeMan wrote:
I was beyond shocked to see that Netflix however does not have the greatest series that ever was or will be; Vikings. I consider this to be a grievous injustice, a crime against the viewership of humanity.

Yet here in Australia, Netflix has it  Cool  However, we still don't have the second half of season 4.

You should also be aware that regardless of content, you will still have to download HBO content. Nothing they create will ever hit Netflix. Same should probably be said for other exclusive content services: Amazon Prime, etc.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/9/2017, 3:01 pm

Also, if you do a quick Google, you will find sites that list what shows will be removed from Netflix in the coming month etc.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/9/2017, 3:44 pm

WyldeMan wrote:

Does anybody use Hulu? The only thing I even know about it is that you still have to watch commercials and they release new episodes of their shows in a weekly format which is fuckin dumb in 2017. But is their service of any actual value?
I have Hulu, the no commercials plan. You can add Showtime too, but I haven't. It's good for keeping up with network TV minus CW now. They're also getting better at movies. Decent selection of old shows too.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/9/2017, 4:26 pm

Rusty Cunt wrote:Yet here in Australia, Netflix has it  Cool  However, we still don't have the second half of season 4.

You sons of bitches. All those gorgeous blonde babes, no dip shit president AND Vikings on Netflix streaming? I'm relocating........

You should also be aware that regardless of content, you will still have to download HBO content. Nothing they create will ever hit Netflix. Same should probably be said for other exclusive content services: Amazon Prime, etc.[/quote]

Pretty sure GoT is the only HBO series I even watch these days and this year there will be six episodes so FUCK HBO! Razz

Tyger wrote:I have Hulu, the no commercials plan. You can add Showtime too, but I haven't. It's good for keeping up with network TV minus CW now. They're also getting better at movies. Decent selection of old shows too.

I wasn't aware there was a no commercial plan, never heard about it before. Are most of these apps in the $10 range?

Also, what do you guys use as your platform for streaming?

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/9/2017, 5:45 pm

I think I pay 11 or 12 for Hulu w/o commercials, it's worth the extra charge to me. There are a few shows that aren't completely commercial free but that just means one commercial at the beginning.

I have a Samsung smart TV and I do most of my streaming directly through that but also have a PS4, BD player and Apple TV to stream through. The Apple TV is next most often used mainly for the CW app which sucks.

Here's another thing, we talked about the Hulu/CW thing. Most ABC shows are on Hulu but for whatever reason they didn't put the current season of Quantico on it so I stream that through the abc app (free, but sucks) on my Apple TV.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/9/2017, 8:22 pm

Tyger wrote:I think I pay 11 or 12 for Hulu w/o commercials, it's worth the extra charge to me. There are a few shows that aren't completely commercial free but that just means one commercial at the beginning.

I have a Samsung smart TV and I do most of my streaming directly through that but also have a PS4, BD player and Apple TV to stream through. The Apple TV is next most often used mainly for the CW app which sucks.

Here's another thing, we talked about the Hulu/CW thing. Most ABC shows are on Hulu but for whatever reason they didn't put the current season of Quantico on it so I stream that through the abc app (free, but sucks) on my Apple TV.

I'll have to look into Hulu after awhile.

I ended up getting the Roku Streaming Stick for $49 from Amazon. So much free tv and movie content...I cannot believe I've been paying for cable........ Shocked Shocked

I setup my Amazon Prime account for streaming which even though I've had Prime for over 6 years, I've never streamed any of the shows. I found Vikings and lots of stuff that Netflix doesn't have so between those two accounts and all the freebies, I will not be missing my cable or the bills.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/10/2017, 11:17 am

Hulu Will Carry A+E Networks Services
Add A+E Networks channels to the bundle Hulu is creating for its soon-to-launch live streaming service — although Viacom might not make the cut.

Hulu and A+E say today that A&E, History, Lifetime, LMN, FYITM, and Viceland will be part of the core package of live and on-demand services Hulu will begin to offer in the spring.

But Viacom might be left out, Bloomberg reports. Shares in the entertainment company, looking to revive its fortunes after years of declining ratings, are down 1.7%
“We currently have distribution with the largest virtual MVPDs, and are engaged in ongoing conversations with a spectrum of new, emerging digital distributors as we execute against our recently announced strategy,” a spokesman says.

Hulu is owned by, and will include channels from, Fox, Disney and Time Warner’s Turner Networks. It also has a deal to offer CBS at launch. It’s still talking to Comcast — another co-owner — about its NBCUniversal networks.

Disney and Hearst co-own A+E.

Hulu is “pulling together the most valuable, well-rounded package of channels available for under $40,” CEO Mike Hopkins says. “We know the A+E Networks brand of award-winning storytelling is important to our viewers, and we’re very excited to add their networks to the core service we launch this Spring.”

A+E CEO Nancy Dubuc says the deal with Hulu’s core package “speaks to the power of our entertainment portfolio in reaching men, women, adults and millennials.”

All eyes are on Hulu’s service because — unlike rivals including AT&T’s DirecTV Now and Dish Network’s Sling TV — it is being provided directly by programmers. Execs showed off its slick user interface early this year at the CES consumer electronics show.

It would be a blow to Viacom if it doesn’t make the cut. CEO Bob Bakish is focusing the company around six core brands — Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., BET, Comedy Central, MTV and Paramount (with Spike rebranded as  The Paramount Network) — to help Viacom as distributors offer so-called skinny bundles.

But the CEO is reluctant to give up subscription VOD rights to many of Viacom’s shows, which Hulu wants to include. Bakish told an investor gathering this week that he took Comedy Central’s The Daily Show with Trevor Noah off of Hulu, in part to reassure Viacom’s cable and satellite distributors who had been upset that “we were putting a lot of product on SVOD.”

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/10/2017, 12:35 pm

My fave band in the whole world, Erasure, is releasing a brand new album in May. This one is produced by themselves so what we will hear is their 'vision'. Woo hoooooo.

Their official website has provided a 20-second preview of their (alleged) first single "Love You to the Sky": https://vimeo.com/207760134

I'm definitely excited to hear this new material since their last few albums were duds and ruined by crappy producers. Since this one is self-produced, I'm hoping they went back to some of their previous sounds.

Also, Depeche Mode's new album Spirit is dropping this month. This is turning out to be a pretty good 2017 so far for my musics.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/10/2017, 1:47 pm

joey con carne wrote:My fave band in the whole world, Erasure, is releasing a brand new album in May.

What do you consider to be their masterpiece?

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/10/2017, 1:51 pm

I suddenly feel very old when reading this and realizin that I was 11 when Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuted twenty years ago today on March 10, 1997.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/10/2017, 6:48 pm

I was 12
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/10/2017, 6:51 pm

I was 19, and still haven't watched an episode.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/10/2017, 8:54 pm

I don't think you'd like it without any nostalgia. It hasn't aged incredibly well, but I still love it.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/10/2017, 9:30 pm

WyldeMan wrote:What do you consider to be their masterpiece?

Wow, that's a tough question. So many of their tracks are just fantastic. The first song I thought of was Home.

They also did an acoustic version, almost country-esque, about fifteen years after the original release. This one has re-recorded vocals, not just an acoustic track with the original vocals laid over it.

If you guys give them a listen, I hope you like 'em! afro
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/10/2017, 9:54 pm

joey con carne wrote:My fave band in the whole world, Erasure

joey con carne wrote:Wow, that's a tough question. So many of their tracks are just fantastic.

Holy fuck. I can't imagine anyone ever saying such a thing with a straight face.

Laughing

Sorry mate.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/10/2017, 10:41 pm

LOL yea. Most people I know have never even heard of them. I started listening to them back in junior high.

Whenever they come to NY, they sell out the venues. On one of their recent tours they booked Irving Plaza for five shows. The tickets sold out in less than two hours. They had no choice but to extend the show for another five days and those tickets sold out, too.

They'll be touring in 2018 in the US and I'll definitely be there.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/11/2017, 1:43 pm

Tyger wrote:I don't think you'd like it without any nostalgia. It hasn't aged incredibly well, but I still love it.

i hear you, as a kid Buffy was one of the first incredibly strong women I'd ever seen on tv, kickin ass and goin through all that teen angst surrounded by monsters. But the writing and the makeup effects haven't aged that well by today's standards and while Buffy isn't terrible and I still find it amusing, it's purely for nostalgic reasons and not something I would recommend in today's tv market with limitless streaming options.

Rusty Cunt wrote:

Holy fuck. I can't imagine anyone ever saying such a thing with a straight face.

Laughing

Sorry mate.

I still have no idea who they are, Joey is the only person I've ever heard of even knows knows who they. I have no clue, I don't even know what they sound like let alone who they are. I just know they're a band, or it might be one just one dude.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/11/2017, 5:40 pm

Tyger wrote:I don't think you'd like it without any nostalgia. It hasn't aged incredibly well, but I still love it.

WyldeMan wrote:

i hear you, as a kid Buffy was one of the first incredibly strong women I'd ever seen on tv, kickin ass and goin through all that teen angst surrounded by monsters. But the writing and the makeup effects haven't aged that well by today's standards and while Buffy isn't terrible and I still find it amusing, it's purely for nostalgic reasons and not something I would recommend in today's tv market with limitless streaming options.

Good. Sounds like something I don't have to worry about ever catching up on.

WyldeMan wrote:
Rusty Cunt wrote:

I still have no idea who they are, Joey is the only person I've ever heard of even knows knows who they. I have no clue, I don't even know what they sound like let alone who they are. I just know they're a band, or it might be one just one dude.

I only know of them because Australian music charts and radio stations have always been inundated with really bad UK pop music.

Think a really bad "artsy but actually just bad" version of Pet Shop Boys (as if the Pet Shop Boys weren't bad enough)
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/11/2017, 8:54 pm

Rusty Cunt wrote:Good. Sounds like something I don't have to worry about ever catching up on.

At least not until the inevitable remake.

joey con carne wrote:I only know of them because Australian music charts and radio stations have always been inundated with really bad UK pop music.

Think a really bad "artsy but actually just bad" version of Pet Shop Boys (as if the Pet Shop Boys weren't bad enough)

The only brit music I ever remember from the radio growing up was Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, Sabbath and the typical 70's rock. I don't know if I have any exposure to the Brit Pop scene. I might just be too country to have that listening exposure.

Pet Shop Boys, another band I've heard of but have no idea who they actually are.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/13/2017, 4:09 pm

I need some tech support from my computer friendly friends here. I am planning to buy a new modem because for some reason I still rent from my internet company and I figure it's a good time to also upgrade my router. I've had the same setup for probably 8 years. I have been browsing Amazon and see that Modem/Wi-Fi combos are pretty popular now but are they just as good or better in your experiences? I am just unsure if it'd be better to get a modem and then place a router in another room. I need advice....

I canceled my cable and am now strictly on streaming so I'd like to make sure I'm getting the best performance for my money as well as simplifying my life by removing a rats nest of cables and wires. Do you use a basic Modem and Router or combo with signal boosters in your house? Just looking for advice here cause I am confused and I want to make things simpler.

I've been looking at some of the different models of ARRIS but I see reviews like "Greatest Modem Ever" immediately followed by "POS" anybody here use this brand?

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/13/2017, 5:16 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I need some tech support from my computer friendly friends here. I am planning to buy a new modem because for some reason I still rent from my internet company and I figure it's a good time to also upgrade my router. I've had the same setup for probably 8 years. I have been browsing Amazon and see that Modem/Wi-Fi combos are pretty popular now but are they just as good or better in your experiences? I am just unsure if it'd be better to get a modem and then place a router in another room. I need advice....

I canceled my cable and am now strictly on streaming so I'd like to make sure I'm getting the best performance for my money as well as simplifying my life by removing a rats nest of cables and wires. Do you use a basic Modem and Router or combo with signal boosters in your house? Just looking for advice here cause I am confused and I want to make things simpler.

I've been looking at some of the different models of ARRIS but I see reviews like "Greatest Modem Ever" immediately followed by "POS" anybody here use this brand?

I have a modem and a router. I own the Arris SB6141 and Cisco EA3500. Never had a problem with the modem and it's actually improved my speed compared to the leased modem I had with Time Warner.

I don't know about a combo modem and router, I would keep them separate but that's just me. Maybe someone else can share their experience on this.

If you plan to use Wi-Fi though, get the latest tech which is AC wireless as I'm sure you know. I'm still using N and that's only because my laptops have wireless N adapters. No need to get a new router if my devices can't support. What devices are you going to be using? And what's you internet speed? I'm on 60Mbps with Spectrum right now.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/13/2017, 5:47 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:If you plan to use Wi-Fi though, get the latest tech which is AC wireless as I'm sure you know. I'm still using N and that's only because my laptops have wireless N adapters. No need to get a new router if my devices can't support. What devices are you going to be using? And what's you internet speed? I'm on 60Mbps with Spectrum right now.

The router is primarily for my Roku boxes, so streaming only. What do you mean when you're referring to an "N" adapter? As I said, I know almost nothing about this...

You're at 60mps??? Speedtest.com says I'm at 17mps.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/13/2017, 6:01 pm

You just need to make sure the modem you are purchasing is one of the modems supported by your internet provider. Some of them are assholes like Time Warner Cable here in NYC and they only let you buy certain modems otherwise they won't work with their service. Same with Verizon here.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/14/2017, 10:05 am

joey con carne wrote:You just need to make sure the modem you are purchasing is one of the modems supported by your internet provider. Some of them are assholes like Time Warner Cable here in NYC and they only let you buy certain modems otherwise they won't work with their service. Same with Verizon here.

Where do you find out if it's an approved modem? In my town there is one option for internet so I have no ability to switch and the employees at the store seem like they're incapable of intelligent thought. Hence another reason, I'm cutting my cords so I don't have to deal with their tech "support".

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu 3/14/2017, 11:48 am

WyldeMan wrote:I suddenly feel very old when reading this and realizin that I was 11 when Buffy The Vampire Slayer debuted twenty years ago today on March 10, 1997.

Ah, yes.

The little mid-season series that changed the game and put WB on the map.

Also gave us that nice little punk rockISH theme song from Nerf Herder.

I was 33 years old.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/14/2017, 4:31 pm

WyldeMan wrote:The router is primarily for my Roku boxes, so streaming only. What do you mean when you're referring to an "N" adapter? As I said, I know almost nothing about this...

If your Roku supports wireless "N" then there is no need to get a router with wireless "AC" but if you want to make it future proof for other devices you might purchase in the future, I'd go for it. They're pretty cheap like the Linksys AC1200.

WyldeMan wrote:You're at 60mps??? Speedtest.com says I'm at 17mps.

I just upgraded from a 20Mbps myself thanks to Spectrum's new plan.

joey con carne wrote:You just need to make sure the modem you are purchasing is one of the modems supported by your internet provider. Some of them are assholes like Time Warner Cable here in NYC and they only let you buy certain modems otherwise they won't work with their service. Same with Verizon here.

This is very important, yes. I forgot to mention it, first thing you should do is ask your ISP the kinds of modem they support.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/15/2017, 8:10 am

Heeeeeeee's back!

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/15/2017, 12:54 pm

Justice Department Says Russian Spies Led 2014 Yahoo Hack
The Justice Department today indicted two Russian spies, along with two criminal hackers, for attacking the accounts of 500 million Yahoo users in 2014.

The spies are officers of FSB, a successor organization to Russia’s KGB. They “protected, directed, facilitated and paid criminal hackers” to break into Yahoo’s servers and “steal information including information about individual users and private contents of their accounts,” said Mary McCord, Acting Assistant Attorney General.

She identified Dmitry Dokuchaev, 33, and Igor Sushchin, 43, as the FSB agents under indictment. The charges also hit a Russian national, Alexsey Alexseyevich Belan, 29, and a Canadian resident, Karim Baratov, 22, who’s also a Kazakh national.

Baratov was arrested in Canada on Tuesday, and “the matter is now pending with the Canadian authorities,” DOJ said.

The conspirators allegedly targeted Yahoo accounts of Russian and U.S. government officials, as well as Russian journalists. They also got employees of a Russian investment banking firm, a French transportation company, U.S. financial services and private-equity firms, a Swiss bitcoin wallet and banking firm and a U.S. airline.

Belan made the FBI’s Cyber Most Wanted criminals list in November 2013. Five months before then, he was arrested in a European country, DOJ said, but “he was able to escape to Russia before he could be extradited.”

Dokuchaev and Sushchin recruited him to hack into Yahoo’s network, officials said. He obtained “at least a portion” of Yahoo’s user database that included users’ names, recovery email accounts, phone numbers and other information needed to create account authentication web browser “cookies.”

Belan also stole gift card and credit card numbers and used 30 million accounts to “facilitate a spam campaign” and “earn commissions from fraudulently redirecting a subset of Yahoo’s search engine traffic,” the Justice Department says.

The hacks began in 2014, but the conspirators lost their access to Yahoo in September 2016. Still, they were able to use the information they had amassed until December.

Dokuchaev and Sushchin persuaded Baratov to hack into user accounts at Google and “other Providers (but not Yahoo),” the Justice Department said. They paid him for the account passwords.

“Cybercrime poses a significant threat to our nation’s security and prosperity, and this is one of the largest data breaches in history,” Attorney General Jeff Sessions said. The government “will vigorously investigate and prosecute the people behind such attacks to the fullest extent of the law.”

Last month, Yahoo agreed to cut the sale price of its assets to Verizon by $350 million, to $4.48 billion, to account for potential liabilities from the 2014 hack as well as another in 2013 that affected more than 1 billion accounts.

Community
Hunters
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/15/2017, 12:57 pm

Interest rates have gone up, my job (call center for a credit card company) is about to get even more fun.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18 ... 23  Next