Varsity Blues (TV Series Scrapped, Film Sequel Now in Development Starring JVDB)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Varsity Blues (TV Series Scrapped, Film Sequel Now in Development Starring JVDB)

Post by WyldeMan on 8/16/2016, 3:30 pm

Another reboot is making its way to television — this time, a “Varsity Blues” show, based on the 1999 film, is being developed at CMT, Variety has confirmed.

Sources say the project is very early in development, but CMT bought a script for the potential series. The original movie’s writer, W. Peter Iliff, is writing the script and Paramount TV is producing.

“Varsity Blues” became a cult favorite, surprisingly making over $54 million at the box office. The coming-of-age football flick starred James Van Der Beek, Paul Walker, Jon Voight, Ron Lester and Scott Caan. As for the TV project, Deadline first reported the development news.

The recognizable and beloved title is a “get” for CMT, which has been ramping up its original content lately and making noise with consumer-friendly programming choices — most recently by picking up “Nashville,” after ABC cancelled the fan-favorite series.

For Paramount TV, the “Varsity Blues” series is the second project based on a Paramount film to be announced today, following Amazon’s “Jack Ryan” series, which was given the greenlight this morning. Since its relaunch in 2013, Paramount TV has been building up their slate at a rapid pace. Among their current development projects is “13 Reasons Why” at Netflix, produced by Selena Gomez; “Maniac” at Netflix, starring Jonah Hill and Emma Stone; and a “Battlefield” series, based on the popular video games.

“Varsity Blues” is the latest film property to get the television reboot treatment. Coming up on the broadcast networks in the 2016-2017 season is CW’s “Frequency,” CBS’s “Training Day,” plus Fox’s upcoming revivals of “The Exorcist” and “Lethal Weapon.”

Last edited by WyldeMan on 8/11/2017, 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Varsity Blues (TV Series Scrapped, Film Sequel Now in Development Starring JVDB)

Post by WyldeMan on 8/16/2016, 3:35 pm

Varsity Blues came out the summer before I started High School and I remember seeing it in theaters like six times that summer. Granted we only had one screen at our movie theater, I also really enjoyed the movie and to this day I still quote it way more than I should.

That whipped cream bikini and all of Tweeter's antics made me love the movie when I was a kid but I don't know how you make an adaptation of this film on CMT without completely neutering everything that fans originally loved about that movie. It was all sex, foul language and raunchy jokes.

I wonder if they'll even be able to attract any names to the network or if the recent acquisition of Nashville will afford them some leeway with talent.

Paul Walker died nearly three years ago at age of 40 while Ron Lester who played Billy Bob only died two months ago at age 45 of liver and kidney failure. There was also Joe Pichler who played JVDB's religion obsessed little brother, was believed to have committed suicide about ten years back when he was 18. He just went missing and they never recovered the body but many believed it was a suicide.

The Varsity cast has been dying young...
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Varsity Blues (TV Series Scrapped, Film Sequel Now in Development Starring JVDB)

Post by Tyger on 8/16/2016, 3:47 pm

WTF, so random
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/16/2016, 3:54 pm

@Tyger wrote:WTF, so random

CMT has a show starring Bill Ray Cyrus then somehow they acquired Nashville from ABC and now we've got Varsity Blues coming. This is the most unusual network "rebranding" I've seen, at the current pace of hillbilly fare we should probably expect a Deliverance tv series next year.

I just watched Ready to Rumble this weekend and said to myself, they'll probably turn this into a tv show at some point. Days later it's  the other Scott Caan/Brian Robbins film, lol.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 8/16/2016, 4:11 pm

I saw Ready to Rumble in theaters. It was a different time.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/16/2016, 4:54 pm

@Tyger wrote:I saw Ready to Rumble in theaters. It was a different time.

So did I. Razz

"God damn Diamond Dallas Page allergies!"

"Hey Gordy, if you only got one nut left, is it still your left?"

"A Diamond upside down is a pussy!"

And for some reason I've often felt the need to use this one "Buenos el Nachos"
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty on 8/16/2016, 5:38 pm

I'll stick with the movie. It was fantastic, and as a TV series there's no way they'll top Friday Night Lights. No way at all.
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/16/2016, 7:30 pm

Rusty Cunt wrote:I'll stick with the movie. It was fantastic, and as a TV series there's no way they'll top Friday Night Lights. No way at all.

If they even tried to touch the legacy of FNL, they'd fail so hard.

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS!
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on 8/16/2016, 10:03 pm

Back when Jon Voight was is damn near every film in the late 90's.
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/11/2017, 8:18 am

James Van Der Beek Is Ready for Varsity Blues 2, Will It Happen?
Before Friday Night Lights, both the movie and hit TV series of the same name, fans got a glimpse at the football-crazed way of life in West Texas in the 1999 film Varsity Blues. The R-rated movie, one of the first under the nascent MTV Films banner, was a modest hit, earning $52.8 million from a $16 million budget, and now it seems we may be returning to this world with a sequel set in modern-day. While nothing is set in stone, James Van Der Beek hinted in a recent interview that there are talks under way to continue this story.

The actor made this surprising revelation during a Facebook Live Q&A with Yahoo! Movies, when a fan asked, since everything is getting a remake or a sequel these days, what are the chances that a new Varsity Blues movie may happen. There was talk of a Varsity Blues TV series happening with CMT, but James Van Der Beek reveals that isn't happening anymore, and now there are plans to make a theatrical sequel, which will revisit his character Mox. Here's what he had to say below.

"You might be onto something. I'm not sure how much I can say, but there are some very serious talks about that. I really have thought about where is Mox today? I've given a lot of thought about it. There have been some meetings taking place with the people who actually made the movie. Originally, CMT was going to do a series with somebody who had not been really associated with the movie that we made, then that went away. So now it's not going to be a CMT series. But I met with the actual producer and we've been talking actively about that world and modernizing it. And where is Mox now. I really want to tell you what I have in mind but I don't think I can."

If a new movie does happen, it will likely have to address the recent loss of Ron Lester, who played the gregarious Billy Bob in the movie, who passed away from liver and kidney failure last summer at the age of 45. While the original movie wasn't a massive hit, it went on to become a cult classic on home video, helping to launch the careers of rising stars like Paul Walker, Scott Caan, Amy Smart, Ali Larter and Jesse Plemons. The film also gained notoriety for an infamous scene where Ali Larter's character greeted James Van Der Beek's Mox by wearing only a whipped cream bikini. When asked if that scene would be revisited, James Van Der Beek said "You've gotta throw in that element," while adding more on his take on this sequel.

"I say you take Mox, who is this good teammate, and you put him in a hole. And you make it some kind of redemption story."

The original movie ended with the young players essentially ousting their iconic head football coach, Coach Kilmer (Jon Voight), with the injured Lance Harbor (Paul Walker) taking over as the makeshift coach, leading his team to victory, with Mox at quarterback. The original movie also ended with a bit of Mox's own narration, where he revealed that he will graduate from the prestigious Ivy League school, Brown University. It's possible that Mox could have come back home to West Canaan, Texas after getting his education, but that's all speculation at this point. It also isn't clear if original Varsity Blues director Brian Robbins, writer W. Peter Iliff or producers Michael Tollin and Tova Laiter will be involved.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum