Uncharted (Now a Prequel with Tom Holland as Young Nathan Drake)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Uncharted (Now a Prequel with Tom Holland as Young Nathan Drake)

Post by WyldeMan on 7/29/2016, 2:51 pm

Sony has recruited Joe Carnahan to write the latest draft of the script for its adaptation of the popular video game “Uncharted.”

Carnahan, who is also an accomplished director and producer, told Variety that he’s unable to also helm, unless production is pushed back, due to schedule constraints. “Bad Boys 3” will be his next directing gig. Production on the sequel gears up early next year — after Will Smith wraps David Ayer’s “Bright.”

“In a perfect world I would love to do both, but right now, I’m only on board to write the script,” he said.

“Uncharted” is an action-adventure film based on the critically-acclaimed and top-selling PlayStation video game series, which follows the adventures of treasure hunter Nathan Drake.

Carnahan said entering the world of Nathan Drake is a dream come true.

“Archaeology today is in itself an antiquity, but that world has always fascinated me. Especially when you go to a museum today and wonder how a piece got there to begin with,” he said. “Plus, the property itself is so popular that it was hard to turn down an opportunity to work on it.”

The film will be a co-production between Arad and Atlas Entertainment Production, and will be produced by Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner, and Ari Arad. Sony creative exec Jonathan Kadin is overseeing the project.

The video game series was developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment America.

In addition to directing “Bad Boy 3,” which reunites Smith and Martin Lawrence, Carnahan is also developing and producing the Frank Grillo-starrer “Wheelman” for Netflix.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Uncharted (Now a Prequel with Tom Holland as Young Nathan Drake)

Post by UltimateMarvel on 7/29/2016, 7:45 pm

We've seen this before. No, until we have a director and cast, this movie isn't happening. Then again that happened too with Wahlberg so........until we see a trailer I guess. lol
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on 7/29/2016, 8:31 pm

Rolling Eyes

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/30/2016, 10:35 am

@UltimateMarvel wrote:We've seen this before. No, until we have a director and cast, this movie isn't happening. Then again that happened too with Wahlberg so........until we see a trailer I guess. lol

Other than when he works in tv, I can't think of a single Carnahan film he wrote and didn't direct. I expect he will end up directing post BB3.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 10/25/2016, 8:44 pm

Shawn Levy To Direct ‘Uncharted’; Now On Fast Track
Sony Pictures has set Shawn Levy to direct Uncharted, the long-awaited live-action feature film based on the PlayStation video game series featuring the treasure hunter Nathan Drake. Joe Carnahan, who wrote the most recent script draft, had an eye to direct, but he has moved over to focus on helming Sony’s Bad Boys For Life, the action comedy that reunites Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. Uncharted is an Arad/Atlas Entertainment Production, with Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad producing.

Levy has been busy executive producing and directing episodes of the Netflix breakout series Stranger Things, and he’ll direct several more episodes in Season 2 while casting up a film that has long been seen as a big global franchise play for the studio. Levy also produced the upcoming Denis Villenueve-directed Arrival, which stars Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner.

The video game was developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment America. The fourth iteration of the game, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, was released in May. Columbia exec veep Jonathan Kadin will oversee the film.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 10/26/2016, 12:28 am

About time there is some news on this. Playing Uncharted 4 right now myself and the graphics and story telling is insane. I'm in the Madagascar level right now.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 9:31 am

‘Uncharted’ Reconfigured: ‘Spider-Man’s Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is bullish enough on its upcoming Spider-Man Homecoming star Tom Holland that the studio is doubling down on the young actor by building a second major franchise around him. Holland is attaching to star in Uncharted, in what will be redrafted as a prequel to the treasure hunting action story line in the Naughty Dog video game for PlayStation. Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan. This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said. The studio has tried for years with various directors to get this video game to launch a franchise, with past scripts from Joe Carnahan, David Guggenheim and Eric Warren Singer. Sony Pictures will now set a new scribe to draft the story line that captures the protagonist as he grows into the treasure hunter Nathan Drake who made the game a top seller. Uncharted is produced by Charles Roven, Avi Arad, Alex Gartner and Ari Arad.

Holland first trotted out his Peter Parker character to great acclaim in Captain America: Civil War, the stage setter to the two sequels to The Avengers being directed by Joe and Anthony Russo. WME and Curtis Brown rep the actor. The Jon Watts-directed Spider-Man: Homecoming bows July 7, the first iteration of the webslinger that has directly involved Marvel Studios. Holland also stars with Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon, Katherine Waterston in the Alfonso Gomez-Rejon-directed The Current War, which The Weinstein Company releases December 22. Holland’s Spider-Man warmup in Captain America showed the wide-eyed wonder and youthful exuberance, a mash of superpowers and puberty that was consistent with my memory of the original Marvel Comics story line. Previous stars Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield seemed more burdened by tragedy. Holland will hopefully now get to grow into both franchises, which I can’t recall happening quite like this before.

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 5/22/2017, 10:12 am

Damn it, no! He's already Spider-Man and a grown up Nathan Drake is more interesting. That's where the first game starts, why go back?
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 11:38 am

@UltimateMarvel wrote:Damn it, no! He's already Spider-Man and a grown up Nathan Drake is more interesting. That's where the first game starts, why go back?

From the article:

Shawn Levy is directing a film that will take its inspiration from a sequence in the third iteration of the video game that focused on the young thief Drake, and his first encounter with the professional rogue, Sullivan.

This reformulation of the franchise was an inspiration of Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman after seeing the latest cut of the Spider-Man film, sources said. The studio has tried for years with various directors to get this video game to launch a franchise, with past scripts from Joe Carnahan, David Guggenheim and Eric Warren Singer.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 5/22/2017, 11:46 am

You could hire any young actor for that role in the third film. Way too early to be doing his backstory but we'll see how this turns out. After Assassin's Creed, you have to worry when they start changing things. This is how it starts....
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 11:54 am

@UltimateMarvel wrote:You could hire any young actor for that role in the third film. Way too early to be doing his backstory but we'll see how this turns out. After Assassin's Creed, you have to worry when they start changing things. This is how it starts....

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer Origin stories in the beginning. I don't wait to wait for the possibility of a third film to see how this character got to be, that requires flashbacks and flashbacks are lazy storytelling that belongs on the CW, not in feature films sir!

I still have no real idea who Tom Holland is and since I have no plans to see Spidey Part 12, its gonna be awhile.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on 5/22/2017, 12:07 pm

Well, at least it won't be Chris Pratt.

ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 12:11 pm

@ForeverBlu wrote:Well, at least it won't be Chris Pratt.

Pretty sure Nathan had an as yet to be cast, older brother named Sam in Thief's End. Razz
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 5/22/2017, 2:48 pm

Tom is a great actor, I first saw him in The Impossible and he was terrific in that. There wasn't a lot of flashbacks in the third one, not enough to make it a full movie but we'll see. Most of the stuff happens when he's older and out there adventuring.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/22/2017, 2:57 pm

@UltimateMarvel wrote:Tom is a great actor, I first saw him in The Impossible and he was terrific in that. There wasn't a lot of flashbacks in the third one, not enough to make it a full movie but we'll see. Most of the stuff happens when he's older and out there adventuring.

This will be like Young Indiana Jones.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/31/2017, 8:48 pm

@WyldeMan wrote:
@ForeverBlu wrote:Well, at least it won't be Chris Pratt.

Pretty sure Nathan had an as yet to be cast, older brother named Sam in Thief's End. Razz

LMFAO, here's the latest.........FB is not gonna be happy about this............ Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Holland is also taking credit for the idea of the young Nathan Drake angle.

In a new interview with Yahoo about his upcoming starring role in Spider-Man: Homecoming, Tom Holland also briefly fielded a couple of questions about his next potential franchise. In addition to answering how he came onboard Uncharted, he also shared his thoughts about who would be perfect to play Sully, the mentor to the movie’s young hero. Uncharted doesn’t currently have a release date, though with Shawn Levy set to direct from a Joe Carnahan script, and with Holland set to star, expect news on this front sooner than later.

Here’s the tale of how Uncharted came to be an origin story, as Holland tells it:

“It’s an exciting one. Didn’t know much about it. It sort of just came, it was a conversation I had with [Sony’s] Tom Rothman about the potential of different movies that I’d like to work with with Sony and I just had the idea that maybe a young Nathan Drake would be something that audiences would be very interested in. I met [director] Shawn [Levy] at the MTV awards and we had a brief chat about the potential of doing an origin story rather than copying what the games have done and it seems like people have been really excited about it, I know I am. I’m excited to have some further conversations about it.”

And here’s Holland fancasting the role of Sully, Nathan Drake’s mentor. I’m sure you’re going to have opinion on this one:

“I think Jake Gyllenhaal could be really cool, but I actually went to the Jurassic World film set the other day to visit my friend who is directing it and Chris Pratt is on that film, who I have become very good friends with over the last few months, and I think he would be a great Sully. I think it could be cool, because if it was an older movie I would say that Chris should play Nathan, but I think he would be a good Sully and I love working with Chris.”
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 5/31/2017, 11:20 pm

Who's excited about it? I want to know who is excited about an origin story? Not me, someone who's played all 3 games. lol

Jake Gyllenhaal as Drake would be cool, he seems the right age. Pratt is doing Jurassic World and the role is too similar in some ways and I say no to that.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum