View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/15/2016, 9:49 pm

James Cameron announced yet another sequel in his planned follow-up to “Avatar.”

Appearing onstage at ComicCon 2016 at 20th Century Fox, the prolific franchise director was introduced by studio co-CEO’s Stacey Snider and Jim Gianopulos where he dropped a full release schedule for the new films.

“Avatar 2” hits Christmas 2018,  followed by “Avatar 3” at Christmas 2020, “Avatar 4”  for Christmas 2022 and “Avatar 5” dated for Christmas 2023.

Cameron has been developing his followup films to his monstrous 2009 hit — which remains the highest grossing movie of all time worldwide (though “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” did dethrone “Avatar” from its record-breaking top spot domestically).

With every shift in the plan over the past three years, the scope of the series has mushroomed, with plans of a World of Pandora theme park, a touring Avatar-themed Cirque du Soleil show, and graphic novels also in the works.

The release date for “Avatar 2” has been pushed back twice before Cameron shared his slate of projected debut dates on Thursday. And with the addition of “Avatar 5” the vision has expanded even more.

It’s not yet clear whether Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment producing partner Jon Landau still intend to shoot the sequels at the same time in New Zealand.

Leads Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana signed on for the trilogy in 2014, which is expected to pick up where the original left off. Cameron has indicated much of it may be set on a moon of the planet Pandora and underwater.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 4/22/2017, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Avatar 2 (December 18, 2020)

Post by ForeverBlu on 4/15/2016, 10:20 pm

Kill it with FIRE!
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by detective392 on 4/17/2016, 11:39 am

Really looking forward to these as I love movies that take place underwater and knowing Cameron it's going to be a beautiful world.
detective392

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/17/2016, 12:52 pm

ForeverBlu wrote:Kill it with FIRE!

Before the SPAM multiplies!
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 4/17/2016, 2:28 pm

I really hate the idea of this. I hated Avatar and I don't understand why they would want more of that.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/17/2016, 4:55 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:I really hate the idea of this. I hated Avatar and I don't understand why they would want more of that.

Cameron has been developing his followup films to his monstrous 2009 hit — which remains the highest grossing movie of all time worldwide
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne on 4/17/2016, 7:59 pm

[quote="WyldeMan"]
Cameron has been developing his followup films to his monstrous 2009 hit — which remains the highest grossing movie of all time worldwide
I remember reading there were some who went to see the movie 5+ times and there were even some who were depressed because they could not live on Pandora.
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 4/17/2016, 8:55 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Cameron has been developing his followup films to his monstrous 2009 hit — which remains the highest grossing movie of all time worldwide

That just adds to the hatred I already have for it.

joey con carne wrote:I remember reading there were some who went to see the movie 5+ times and there were even some who were depressed because they could not live on Pandora.

I remember reading about this. lol! I worry for the future of humanity.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/17/2016, 8:56 pm

joey con carne wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:
I remember reading there were some who went to see the movie 5+ times and there were even some who were depressed because they could not live on Pandora.

I used to work with a guy who openly bragged that he'd seen Avatar in theaters 27 times.............he used to get super pissed when I told him Pandora was not really in his mother's basement where he actually lived.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty on 4/17/2016, 9:05 pm

Awesome. 4 more movies I know I'll never watch.
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 4/17/2016, 9:14 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I used to work with a guy who openly bragged that he'd seen Avatar in theaters 27 times.............he used to get super pissed when I told him Pandora was not really in his mother's basement where he actually lived.

affraid 27 times? Poor guy, did you at least find him a therapist or something?
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/17/2016, 11:49 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:I used to work with a guy who openly bragged that he'd seen Avatar in theaters 27 times.............he used to get super pissed when I told him Pandora was not really in his mother's basement where he actually lived.

affraid 27 times? Poor guy, did you at least find him a therapist or something?

No, because when he wasn't in Pandora he was on LAN raiding parties in the World of Warcraft. He was one of those dirty metal heads who pounded energy drinks by the case, stank like he bathed annually and only ever wore one t-shirt Megadeth's Youthenasia the one with the babies hanging upside down on clotheslines. Also, he had an Umbrella Corp tattoo on his forearm right next to his Mario One Up tattoo and I can't forget the ponytail....he was profoundly unlikable and I had to work with him on a constant basis around the airplanes.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne on 4/18/2016, 6:46 am

This is a longshot but is there any chance you have a photograph? You can blur out the face. I feel like I need to see this.
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/18/2016, 7:09 am

joey con carne wrote:This is a longshot but is there any chance you have a photograph? You can blur out the face. I feel like I need to see this.

No I do not collect pictures of male co-workers from a decade ago, lol. He used to have a website though for his Gargoyle pottery (not making that up either) but it appears he's since moved on from that business. After he got fired from my work in the airplane industry I saw him months later working at a Footlocker and his ponytail was gone. I think he's probably killed himself by now.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 4/22/2017, 7:35 am

‘Avatar’: The Next Four Installments Receive Release Dates - First in 2020
BREAKING: James Cameron is shooting the films concurrently and now the release dates have been pegged for the sequels the biggest box office hit of all time: Avatar, which took in $2.7B worldwide when it was released in 2009. 20th Century Fox’s plan has been to churn out sequel after sequel after Avatar 2 hits theaters every year and that’s what was announced on the Avatar Facebook page this AM as the Avatar team said production is underway. The first sequel will now be released on Dec. 18, 2020, followed by Dec. 17, 2021 and then three years later on Dec. 20, 2024 and then Dec. 19, 2025.

The first sequel was initially expected in December 2014, but it was bumped — again (to 2016) and then again. Then Cameron said last month that they wouldn’t meet the 2018 date. So three postponements later, we now have the official release dates (for now?). The last three films in the series were scheduled for 2020, 2022 and 2023 releases, so everything has been pushed back.

The films are underway from Lightstorm in New Zealand with Jon Landau and the cast of Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, and Stephen Lang all returning. The script was written by Cameron with Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, and Shane Salerno.

Will it be worth the wait? The director told Empire magazine three years ago: “I can tell you one thing about them: They’re gonna be bitchin.’ You will sh*t yourself with your mouth wide open.”

Here’s the Facebook post from early this AM:

Great to be working with the best team in the business! Avatar takes flight as we begin concurrent production on four sequels. The journey continues December 18, 2020, December 17, 2021, December 20, 2024 and December 19, 2025!
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/31/2017, 7:29 am

Weta Digital Underway On Four ‘Avatar’ Sequels
Weta Digital has announced that it has gotten underway on the four Avatar sequels that James Cameron will direct for Fox. The Wellington, New Zealand-based visual effects facility built by Peter Jackson to make The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, takes on Cameron’s films after completing The Planet of the Apes trilogy for Fox.  Run by Senior Visual Effects Supervisor Joe Letteri, Weta Digital now embarks on the most ambitious — creatively and financially –project in movie history:  four sequels to Hollywood’s all-time top grossing film, pictures that will be made in sequence at an estimated collective cost exceeding $1 billion. The first film is expected in 2020. Cameron has postponed the start a couple times as he continues to push the technology barriers. To the point he bullishly said recently that he hoped audiences would be able to experience 3D without requiring special glasses by advancing the technology most notably used by Ang Lee in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.

“What Joe Letteri and Weta Digital bring to these stories is impossible to quantify,” said Cameron. “Since we made Avatar, Weta continued to prove themselves as doing the best CG animation, the most human, the most alive, the most photo-realistic effects in the world. And of course, that now means I can push them to take it even further.”

Said Avatar producer Jon Landau: “The depth of talent at Weta is impressive and the culture of excellence is one that matches how we do things at Lightstorm. We also know that these next films promise to be even more ambitious than the first film. And, we know from experience that when it comes to technical innovation Weta is peerless.”

Weta’s Joe Letteri has been preparing to bring to life Cameron’s vision of Pandora for a long time, and he said they relished the challenge. “Avatar is the ideal type of film for us. Jim’s vision for the world of Pandora was always so much bigger than what we created for the first film,” said Letteri. “Helping him expand the language of cinema through new narratives set in such an expansive universe is the type of opportunity that rarely comes along twice. Projects like this allow everyone involved to push themselves to do their best work and you can’t ask for anything more than that.”

Though it seems unusual that Hollywood would head clear across the globe for pioneering digital effects, Avatar continues an escalation of Weta Digital’s prowess in drawing the most visually ambitious big budget films on the drawing board. “The excitement at Weta around Avatar is obvious and the fact is that we have already been working on it for a number of years,” said Weta Digital Executive Producer David Conley. “During that period we have grown the company to a size and model that allows us to expand beyond any one project. This enables us to find a mix of other films that can help us grow along with Avatar, as is the case with Alita:Battle Angel, Marvel’s Infinity War and Mortal Engines, to name a few of the other films we are currently working on.”
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/11/2017, 8:30 am

Colonel Quaritch Is the Main Villain in Avatar 2 and Its Sequels

Way back in October 2013, director James Cameron confirmed that Stephen Lang will return as Colonel Quaritch in all of his Avatar sequels. At the time, there were only three sequels, but now that there are four movies all moving forward, with production starting on September 25, the director revealed that his plans for Quaritch haven't changed, confirming he will be appearing in Avatar 2 through Avatar 5. Here's what the director had to say, revealing he plans to keep the same characters but introduce them to new settings and creatures.

"The interesting conceit of the Avatar sequels is it's pretty much the same characters. There are new characters and a lot of new settings and creatures, so I'm taking characters you know and putting them in unfamiliar places and moving them on this greater journey. But it's not a whole bunch of new characters every time. There's not a new villain every time, which is interesting. Same guy. Same motherfucker through all four movies. He is so good and he just gets better. I know Stephen Lang is gonna knock this out of the park."

Along with Stephen Lang, other confirmed cast members include returning stars such as Sam Worthington (Jake Sully), Zoe Saldana (Neytiri), Sigourney Weaver (Dr. Grace Augustine) and Joel David Moore (Norm Spellman), along with franchise newcomers Cliff Curtis (Tonowari) and Oona Chaplin (Varang). The process of scheduling the cast for four sequels that are shot simultaneously has been described by Stephen Lang himself as a "Mongolian clusterf--k," with James Cameron admitting that the inspiration for such an ambitious schedule was Peter Jackson shooting all of his Lord of the Rings movies simultaneously. Here's what James Cameron had to say about what he told Peter Jackson about his schedule, in an interview with Empire.

"I said 'It's your fault I'm doing this, motherf---er!' It's one big story. But I would say a little bit different from The Lord Of The Rings, which you knew was a trilogy and that allowed you to accept a sort of truncated ending for movies one and two and then a fulfillment. This is a greater narrative broken up into four complete stories."

In related news, a new report from Deadline reveals that Matt Gerald, who played Corporal Lyle Wainfleet in the original Avatar, will be back for all of the Avatar sequels. Since the character was believd to have died in the first movie, there is no word on how he'll be brought back, but then again, Quaritch himself was thought to have died in the first movie, so it's unclear how exactly both characters will be back for all four sequels. Hopefully we'll get some new plot details when production starts next month.

We also reported in June that James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment has extended their deal with Christie Digital Systems to create glasses-free 3D projection systems for Avatar 2 and all of his other Avatar sequels. While this sounds like quite the monumental task, Lightstorm and Christie still have more than two years to get this system ready. Avatar 2 hits theaters on December 18, 2020, with Avatar 3 arriving December 17, 2021, Avatar 4 coming December 20, 2024 and Avatar 5 debuting December 19, 2025.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/11/2017, 8:32 am

God dammit, guess that means Waldo is going to be written out of Into the Badlands due to unavailability..... Evil or Very Mad
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/11/2017, 2:38 pm

Damn it! Wish Avatar was never made to begin with.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum