Battle Angel Alita (Rosa Salazar)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battle Angel Alita (Rosa Salazar)

Post by WyldeMan on 10/14/2015, 1:55 pm

James Cameron’s more than 15-year journey to bring manga comic Battle Angel Alita to the big screen may be nearing an end.

Robert Rodriguez is in negotiations to direct the live action adaptation of the manga graphic novels that will be produced by Cameron and his Lightstorm Entertainment partner Jon Landau.

Titled Alita: Battle Angel, the project tells of a female cyborg that is discovered in a trash yard by a scientist. With no memory of her previous life except her deadly martial arts training, the woman becomes a bounty hunter, tracking down criminals.

The action-adventure story is meant to serve as a backdrop to themes of self-discovery and the search for love.

"Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel," stated Cameron. "He's very collaborative and we're already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there's nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We're looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic."

Added Rodriguez: "Battle Angel is an incredibly rich and vibrant epic in the tradition of Jim Cameron's spectacular, character-driven films. Getting to work from Jim’s terrific and visionary script while learning the cutting edge techniques he’s pioneered is a master class in filmmaking. It's an honor to explore the world of Alita along with Jim and Jon, whose films have impacted me for decades."

Cameron for years intended to direct Alita but other projects kept getting in the way, notably Avatar, which took his attention further when he decided he was going to make three sequels back to back to back.

The project had a script by Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island) but it is unclear whether it had undergone further work.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 5/26/2016, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Battle Angel Alita (Rosa Salazar)

Post by WyldeMan on 10/14/2015, 1:56 pm

The director of Aliens and the director of Predators make a sci-fi movie together and it's not the greatest AvP movie of all-time? Well I'm disappointed.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 10/14/2015, 3:07 pm

WyldeMan wrote:The director of Aliens and the director of Predators...
Nope.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverBlu on 10/14/2015, 3:31 pm

:blank stare:
ForeverBlu

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 10/14/2015, 6:23 pm

Tyger wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:The director of Aliens and the director of Predators...
Nope.

Oh right, I always tend to think of that as an RR film because of how heavily involved he was as a producer, the fact that it was mostly filmed at TroubleMaker and that Trejo showed up. Razz Embarassed
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 5/26/2016, 10:50 pm

Rosa Salazar to Lead ‘Battle Angel Alita’

James Cameron has been developing Battle Angel, an adaptation of the Manga series Battle Angel Alita for years now, but with his attention pulled in the direction of the ever-expanding Avatar franchise there has been relatively little visible forward progress until recently. Cameron handed over directorial duties to Robert Rodriguez last year and the filmmakers set out to find the right young woman to lead the film. Last month, news broke that the search had narrowed down to three candidates — including It Follows star Maika Monroe, Disney sensation Zendaya, and Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials standout Rosa Salazar. Today, we have learned from sources that Salazar has landed the coveted role.

Based on the manga series by Yukito KishiroBattle Angel takes place in the 26th century and tells the story of an amnesiac female cyborg who is rescued from a scrapyard by a doctor, rebuilt with no memory of her previous life except for her kickass martial arts skills, and becomes a bounty hunter tracking down vicious criminals. Salazar has a pretty impressive resume for an up-and-coming actress, especially for only having been on the scene for the last five years, and after a notable turns in InsurgentThe Scorch Trials, and the wonderful FX comedy Man Seeking Woman she’s become a name to watch. Now, she’s landed what could be her breakout role.

Rodriguez is also in the running to helm an adaptation of Jonny Quest, and when Steve sat down with producer Adrian Askarieh late last year, it sounded like that film was starting to finally taking steps towards production, but with Battle Angel casting up, it seems like Quest might need a new director.

Cameron hand-picked Rodriguez for to take over at the helm of his long-time passion project, and Rodriguez is said to be working from Cameron’s script, though he’s likely to take a pass at it and punch it up with his own style. Here’s what Cameron had to say about their collaboration when he announced his departure as director:

“Robert and I have been looking for a film to do together for years, so I was pumped when he said he wanted to do Battle Angel,” stated Cameron. “He’s very collaborative and we’re already like two kids building a go-kart, just having fun riffing creatively and technically. This project is near and dear to me, and there’s nobody I trust more than Robert, with his technical virtuosity and rebel style, to take over the directing reins. We’re looking forward to learning a lot from each other while we make a kick-ass epic.”

No word yet on a production timeline for the long-developed adaptation, and there’s certainly precedent for actors locking a role with a long lead time, but this is significant forward motion and points to Battle Angel happening sooner than later.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum