Mallrats 2 (Turned into a 10-Episode Series)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mallrats 2 (Turned into a 10-Episode Series)

Post by Rusty Cunt on Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:16 am

... and as Kevin said, he's the only character not only not needed, but easily written around.

Kevin should do himself a favour, and not even try to get Affleck. Let it go. He's unnecessary, and the news of getting declined (which could happen) would be a fucking embarrassment no news channel would let go.
Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:23 am

@Rusty Cunt wrote:... and as Kevin said, he's the only character not only not needed, but easily written around.

Kevin should do himself a favour, and not even try to get Affleck. Let it go. He's unnecessary, and the news of getting declined (which could happen) would be a fucking embarrassment no news channel would let go.

When you've taken your career as far as possible from the Kevin Smith days it would be a major misstep to appear in what is certainly not going to be a big hit. We love it cause we grew up with it but it's not exactly like Clerks 2 lit the box office up or any of Kevin's other films. I really like what Affleck has been able to do with his career since The Town and I wouldn't want to watch the next Batman returning to statutory rapist roles, that's about as warranted as him revisiting O'Banion. I would absolutely expect Affleck to reject the offer he just doesn't have time for this type of movie right now, while the other dozen plus cast members who obviously don't have shit going on, all came back for it cause their careers won't take any blows. Also with a cast this massive, he's just simply not needed.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Cunt on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 pm

Still sexy as hell.

16 and still going for two more?? He keeps adding more names to his list.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Cunt on Fri May 01, 2015 8:17 am

@WyldeMan wrote:Still sexy as hell.

16 and still going for two more?? He keeps adding more names to his list.

Outside of Affleck, I can only imagine the other is the tri-nipple fortune teller - but why the fuck he'd save her for last? I dunno.

Outside of that, the only other people that had speaking roles are the Easter bunny; the sales attendant that "knew" what Brodie was talking about regarding his "metaphor" for his whole relationship; the dude that said "Stan Lee's signing comics" in front of Comics Toast; the "it's a schooner" kid; and the TV execs.
Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 am

Kind of surprised he didn't go after a single new name.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 am

Kevin Smith Reveals Why Silent Bob Is Silent

It’s one of the great mysteries of our world. Why doesn’t Silent Bob speak? At Zanies Comedy Club during the recent Wild West Comedy Festival, a number of audience members offered their theories to Kevin Smith on why Silent Bob is silent.

However, none of the theories panned out, as Smith revealed the real answer to the mystery was rather simple.
“Really why Silent Bob is silent was because Jayson [Mewes] talks a lot. It was that simple,” said Smith. “I wanted to get Jayson in a movie, but I didn’t want him to stand there by himself just talking or talking to a random passerby.”

Smith added, “So I was like we could have a buddy that stands there, who’s essentially his sounding board, who he just talks at all the time.”
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sat May 09, 2015 7:58 am

I always thought Silent Bob didn't talk because Jay just never shut the fuck up long enough for him to get a word or two in.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Cunt on Sat May 09, 2015 9:47 am

That was about as big a mystery as anything else in Smith's life. He's talked about it plenty of times.

He always wanted Mewes in it, and had another friend lined up to play Bob's role in Clerks, but he never showed up. So he decided to play Silent Bob, and it worked out because he didn't want to say anything, and it allowed him to be right next to Mewes and give him a nudge or whatnot when the dude forgot his lines.
Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Kevin Smith Drops New Details

Kevin Smith has taken to the stage of New York Comic-Con in the past 24 hours, ostensibly to promote the return of Comic Book Men, but his panel strayed onto other subjects, and Mallrats 2 came up.

The film centers again around Brodie, presumably played by Jason Lee. This time, though, there's a "save the Clock Tower" (Smith's words) moment, where to save the mall, he organizes a Comic-Con there.

Smith will be publicizing the dates of the shoot, and inviting people down to the set as extras. He'll need lots of Con-goers and cosplayers to swell out the crowd scenes. He also confirmed there will be roles for his Comic Book Men cohorts.

The plot will then be a bit of Die Hard in a mall, he said, as in the midst of the crowded Comic-Con, terrorists burst in. It's going to be up to Brodie, therefore, to save the day.
Smith also said that for the soundtrack to the film this time, he's interested in up-and-coming musicians, rather than established bands. If you have music he might be interested it, it may be worth tweeting him (@ThatKevinSmith) to draw his attention to it.

Mallrats 2 -- one of two films Smith confirmed he's shooting next year (he didn't confirm the other, but we can hope for Clerks 3) -- is his next movie, and production will begin in early 2016.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:30 pm

As the #AshvsEvilDead panel ended, @ThatKevinSmith asked @GroovyBruce if he’ll be in Mallrats 2. He said “Hell yeah!” #NYCC

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:52 pm

Intriguing. I shit talked Clerks II from its announcement up until I finally rented it and enjoyed it, so I'm staying cautiously optimistic. Plus, I love(d) Mallrats.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:24 pm

@Tyger wrote:Intriguing. I shit talked Clerks II from its announcement up until I finally rented it and enjoyed it, so I'm staying cautiously optimistic. Plus, I love(d) Mallrats.

I loved the first 2/3 of Clerks II but that movie fell apart right when Kinky Kelly and the Sexy Stud rolled into the Mooby Burger.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:35 pm

What? You don't know how often I'll randomly think "ooh, cake"
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 pm

@Tyger wrote:What? You don't know how often I'll randomly think "ooh, cake"

...I got nothing.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:01 pm

‘Mallrats 2’ & ‘Buckaroo Banzai’ TV Shows In The Works
After years of trying to get a sequel to his 1995 film Mallrats off the ground, Kevin Smith said today on WWMR-FM Philadelphia that Mallrats 2 is officially in development as a 10-episode scripted television series. What’s more, the Yoga Hosers and Clerks director revealed that he’s also developed a TV series based on cult 1980s film The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension in partnership with MGM, which has just been sold to an unnamed content provider.

Explaining the long process of trying to make a sequel to Mallrats, which included at one point attempting to get the rights back from distributor Universal Pictures, Smith said his experience directing a recent episode of the CW’s The Flash convinced him that television was the medium for it. After what he called “a protracted negotiation,” things came together. “Universal and I are just about to close our deal to do Mallrats the series,” he told WMMR. “Then we take it out into the world to find a home for it. So instead of doing a Mallrats movie, I’m going to do 10 episodes of a Mallrats series.”

A flop when in its initial release, Smith has long wanted to make a sequel to the film set in a New Jersey mall and following a group of slackers and employees who frequent it. Notably, Mallrats is also set in the same universe as Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

Meanwhile, Buckaroo Banzai the series has been in the works for a bit longer. Following his episode of The Flash, says Smith, MGM contacted him about adapting the 1984 film starring Peter Weller as the multi-talented Dr. Buckaroo Banzai, a physicist, neurosurgeon, test pilot and rock musician who saves the world from inter-dimensional aliens. “I can’t say to whom yet, but yesterday we sold Buckaroo Banzai as a TV series.”

Buckaroo Banzai was a flop upon release but became a staple of cable and home video and now is considered a touchstone of ’80s genre films, with numerous writers and directors citing it as a large early influence. One notable homage to the film was included in Wes Anderson’s The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Along with Weller, the film featured appearances by John Lithgow, Ellen Barkin, Clancy Brown, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, and Dan Hedaya among others.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:02 pm

So because of The Flash, Mallrats 2 is now a 10 episode series? WOAH.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Cunt on Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:05 pm

That's awesome. I heard of the Buckaroo news a few weeks back, but the Mallrats thing is new.

Rusty Cunt

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:58 pm

@Rusty Cunt wrote:That's awesome. I heard of the Buckaroo news a few weeks back, but the Mallrats thing is new.

Given that the entire cast came back, I love the idea of a tv show.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Here's the Mallrats portion of Kevin's SDCC panel with more info.

DEADLINE: As if you’re not too busy in the world of TV, where’s the Mallrats series at?
SMITH: I just sat down with the good folks at Universal last week. Our deal’s closed and whatnot, and I walked them through the 10 episodes. As I broke them down, I white-boarded them all, and so Episode 1 and 2 on one board, 3 and 4 on another, and so forth and so on, so I did the whole walk-through to be like, this is what happens this episode, this is what happens this episode, here’s the family tree. You know, it’s a multigenerational story, so it’s about all the kids in Mallrats and all the kids they had, taking my cues from one of my favorite programs in the world, Degrassi: The Next Generation.

So I walked them through everything, and Mallrats as a series is kind of like one gigantic blob of soap opera with a lot of dick jokes in it. When we were doing the feature version of it, I had 90 minutes to tell one story. But wow, essentially, I have 10 half-hour episodes, so that’s five hours to kind of pull and tell the same story and really like dive into the characters. Like, all the characters came back in the Mallrats 2 script, but sometimes it’s just like, hey, it’s that person, you’re moving on. Now we get to go into their lives and stuff and what happens after happily ever after, so it’s pretty damn fun and funny and stuff.

So I walked them through it, and then we decided post-Comic Con, that’s when we go out into the world and pitch, and it’s got cursing in it and stuff, so it’s not like we’re pitching networks or anything, you know? We’re pitching all the usual streaming suspects I would imagine and cable networks, so probably Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Showtime, HBO — it’s a pretty limited pool for us because of the language factor, but it’s a weirdly family show. It’s just, you know, with a lot of cussing in it and stuff, but it’s funny, dude, I love it.

DEADLINE: You had a big cast with frequent collaborators like Jason Lee, Joey Lauren Adams, Jason Mewes and Ben Affleck plus Michael Rooker, Shannen Doherty and Jason London in the original 1995 movie. So who’s coming back for the Mallrats TV show?

SMITH: Everybody in the original cast, with the exception – well, I haven’t reached out to Batfleck yet, until I knew I had something that I could say, hey, here’s something to come to.
Affleck’s character has a pretty central but small but useful role. Like, you know, he could do it and it’d be great, but if he doesn’t do it, it wouldn’t be the end of the world at the same time. But I’ll reach out to him once I know where we’re going, what we’re doing, and when we’re shooting. I’ve reached out to everybody else, and they were all like, thumbs up, so everyone’s still on board.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum