Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (James Gunn Fired Over Old Offensive Tweets Resurface)

Go down

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (James Gunn Fired Over Old Offensive Tweets Resurface)

Post by WyldeMan on 7/20/2018, 12:49 pm

James Gunn Fired From ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Franchise Over Offensive Tweets
James Gunn is exiting Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

The move comes after conservative personalities resurfaced old tweets in which the filmmaker joked about controversial topics such as pedophelia and rape. Gunn, who has been an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump, has since deleted his Twitter account.

"The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him," said Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn in a statement.

Before deleting his account, Gunn tweeted, "Many people who have followed my career know when I started, I viewed myself as a provocateur, making movies and telling jokes that were outrageous and taboo. As I have discussed publicly many times, as I’ve developed as a person, so has my work and my humor."

The tweets came to light after conservative website The Daily Caller dug up the tweets, which were mostly posted in 2008 and 2009. Soon after, conservative personalities were tweeting to followers to confront Gunn at Comic-Con. Gunn had been expected to be at Sony's presentation Friday. It is still unclear if Gunn plans on appearing.

Gunn has been writing the script for Guardians 3, and the movie was expected to begin shooting in Atlanta in the fall for an expected 2020 release date, though Marvel Studios had never officially announced the date. The Guardians movies have been a massive success for Disney and Marvel. The first movie made more than $773 million worldwide while the second made $863 million. The films stood out from other Marvel movies as they were infused with Gunn's off-kilter filmmaking sensibilities that owed more to indie genre movies than slicker cookie cutter studio fare. Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige had previously indicated that Gunn would continue to work with Marvel after Guardians 3 helping shepherd the cosmic side of the studio's universe.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (James Gunn Fired Over Old Offensive Tweets Resurface)

Post by Tyger on 7/20/2018, 1:08 pm

WTF
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (James Gunn Fired Over Old Offensive Tweets Resurface)

Post by WyldeMan on 7/20/2018, 6:39 pm

@Tyger wrote:WTF

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 7/20/2018, 7:13 pm

He makes a lot of kid jokes, gotta come from some place.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/20/2018, 7:42 pm

@UltimateMarvel wrote:He makes a lot of kid jokes, gotta come from some place.

When I first read the article about the accusations I assumed it was a serious overreaction until you read the more the dozen "jokes" about raping kids. Pretty sure I've never made that joke once.

James Gunn just went from one of the most respected Directors at Disney and the man behind the entire Guardians universe to being outed as another predatory gay like Spacey only based on his many many "jokes" he even prefers his victims much younger than Spacey.

I'm curious to see if any actual allegations from real victims will emerge now that the story has begun or if he just has the most fucked up sense of humor possible and he's just the latest individual who tanked their own career because of some dumb shit they said on twitter. Gunn never came across as predatory to me but it's entirely possible since as I always say, just assume everybody in Hollywood is a rapist.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 7/20/2018, 8:44 pm

@WyldeMan wrote:When I first read the article about the accusations I assumed it was a serious overreaction until you read the more the dozen "jokes" about raping kids. Pretty sure I've never made that joke once.

Yeah, it's very weird and it's not right. I'm thinking there is something behind this. And he's fucking active on Twitter too, he never shuts up.

@WyldeMan wrote:I'm curious to see if any actual allegations from real victims will emerge now that the story has begun or if he just has the most fucked up sense of humor possible and he's just the latest individual who tanked their own career because of some dumb shit they said on twitter. Gunn never came across as predatory to me but it's entirely possible since as I always say, just assume everybody in Hollywood is a rapist.

LOL! If this is the case, then it would really be funny. It would be a cautionary tale of social media for Hollywood. But he's a weird dude and I don't think it was just jokes.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/23/2018, 11:21 am

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Karen Gillan Speak Out Amid James Gunn Fallout; Petition To Rehire ‘Guardians’ Director Gains Steam
Guardians of the Galaxy franchise stars Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan are the latest to speak out amid the fallout from the firing of James Gunn as director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. In a rather cryptic tweet that did not mention Gunn by name or the controversy but believed by many fans to be directed at Gunn’s ouster, Pratt wrote, “’Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters. Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.’ JAMES 1:19.” The message was followed by prayer hands and a heart emoji.

Saldana was more direct in addressing the situation. “It’s been a challenging weekend I’m not gonna lie. I’m pausing myself to take everything in before I speak out of term,” she wrote. “I just want everyone to know I love ALL members of my GOTG family. Always will.”

Gillan wrote over two tweets, “Love to every single member of my GOTG family” followed by “Just to clarify, I’ll speak more on this later but just wanted to make sure that was out there. Love to you all.”

Pratt, Saldana and Gillan’s tweets followed messages of support over the weekend from Guardians’ star Sean Gunn, James Gunn’s brother and Dave Bautista. “It goes without saying that I love and support my brother,” Sean Gunn wrote. He also asserts that “working on these movies made my brother a better person, and they made me one too. I’m proud of that.”

Meanwhile, a change.org petition to calling for the rehiring of the filmmaker continues to add thousands of signatures. As of this morning, more than 187,000 signatures had been obtained, moving quickly to its goal of 200,000.

James Gunn was fired Friday after Fox News and other right-wing media outlets unearthed some old social media posts from the filmmaker on subjects that touched on rape and pedophilia. Gunn claimed that the old tweets were just taboo jokes. Conservative media resurfaced Gunn’s old posts in an effort to knock him down since he’s an outspoken critic of President Donald Trump.

The tweets by Saldana, Pratt, Gillan and Sean Gunn follow below:

It’s been a challenging weekend I’m not gonna lie. I’m pausing myself to take everything in before I speak out of term. I just want everyone to know I love ALL members of my GOTG family. Always will.

— Zoe Saldana (@zoesaldana) July 22, 2018
“Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters. Let every person be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger.”
JAMES 1:19
♥️
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) July 22, 2018
Love to every single member of my GOTG family.
— Karen Gillan (@karengillan) July 23, 2018
Just to clarify, I'll speak more on this later but just wanted to make sure that was out there. Love to you all.
— Karen Gillan (@karengillan) July 23, 2018
1. I hope it goes without saying that I love and support my brother James. And I'm quite proud of how kind, generous, and compassionate he is with the people in his life, whether they are friends, family, colleagues, fans, or strangers.
— Sean Gunn (@seangunn) July 21, 2018
2. Since he was a kid, it was clear he had a desire (maybe destiny) to be an artist, tell stories, find his voice through comics, films, his band. The struggle to find that voice was sometimes clunky, misguided, or downright stupid, and sometimes wonderful, moving, and hilarious.
3. Since devoting his entire life to the Guardians movies and MCU six years ago, I've seen him channel that voice into his work on those movies and seen him transform from the guy who made up things to shock people.
4. I saw firsthand as he went from worrying about "softening his edge" for a larger audience to realizing that his "edge" wasn't as useful of a tool as he thought it was. That his gift for storytelling was something better.
6. In many respects this change in my brother was reflected in the change that the Guardians go through. I've heard my brother say many times that when Quill rallies the team with "this is our chance to give a shit"–to care–that it's the pep talk he himself needed to hear.
7. It's part of what made working on the Guardians movies such a rewarding experience for the cast, myself included. We managed to find ourselves involved in a big-budget superhero movie that was, at its core, deeply personal. That's a gift. And that's why it's good.
8. This isn't new information, by the way. It's all stuff that James has explained many times in interviews, in more detail and more eloquently. It's not some new spin. It's always been part of the story.
9. So I guess my hope is that fans continue to watch and appreciate the Guardians movies, not despite the fact that the filmmaker used to be kind of a jackass, but because of it. They are, after all, movies about discovering your best self.
10. Working on those movies made my brother a better person, and they made me one too. I'm proud of that. Peace.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/23/2018, 11:24 am

His whole cast is really going to bat for him and so are others that have worked with him, it doesn't seem like they're distancing themselves like has been the situation in every single situation like this so far so it is looking like it was only words and there is no truth to him being a total piece of shit, he just used to have a very fucked up sense of humor and they ruined his career because of it.

The same guy that took down Gunn is also going after old jokes from comedians like Patton Oswalt now too.

Oh and btw, the man who's leading this witch hunt was himself accused of rape in 2003 but coped a deal so it's ok that he leads the moral charge for change now cause he's a good guy since he beat his aggravated rape charges.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty on 7/23/2018, 6:36 pm

Disney is weak as piss. They knew the guy they hired was a weirdo, and how, in this day and age, do they not have people that spend their time checking old social media posts of potential employees and having them deleted.

Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 7/23/2018, 6:46 pm

@Rusty wrote:Disney is weak as piss. They knew the guy they hired was a weirdo, and how, in this day and age, do they not have people that spend their time checking old social media posts of potential employees and having them deleted.

Disney ain't loyal to it's hoes, someone tells em to cut their bottom bitch from the stable and without hesitation they just do it? Iceberg Slim Disney they are not.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 7/23/2018, 9:44 pm

That’s what makes this bullshit. These are old and public. This isn’t new information seeing the light of day or even being looked at in a different light because of any allegations or anything.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/7/2018, 7:04 am

Dave Bautista stated on Twitter that he’ll act in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because he’s “legally obligated.” In a follow up interview with The Short List, he said he’d ask to be released from his contract if Marvel doesn’t use James Gunn‘s script.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/7/2018, 10:50 am

Dude has gone loco. I would never turn down $ to support someone like Gunn. I still think there is some truths to those tweets. We can't know for sure what he's done but that's some dark shit. If some kid decides to come forward, this whole thing is going to be hilarious. Laughing
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/7/2018, 1:37 pm

@UltimateMarvel wrote:Dude has gone loco. I would never turn down $ to support someone like Gunn. I still think there is some truths to those tweets. We can't know for sure what he's done but that's some dark shit. If some kid decides to come forward, this whole thing is going to be hilarious. Laughing

The entire GOAT cast and even Kurt Russell have voiced their support for him.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/7/2018, 5:42 pm

DAAAAAAAAMN! Well, they're pretty close to him because they worked together and they know the kind of man he is. We don't know him so it's easy for us to judge based on evidence. Maybe he really is just joking around but that's still some very creepy jokes. I mean, even a comedian doing standup wouldn't make those jokes and that's the place where any joke goes.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 8/7/2018, 7:33 pm

You’re not really familiar with comedians, are you?
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/7/2018, 8:23 pm

@Tyger wrote:You’re not really familiar with comedians, are you?

I guess not. Do you know comedians who repeatedly joke about molesting/raping children?
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/8/2018, 8:15 am

@UltimateMarvel wrote:

I guess not. Do you know comedians who repeatedly joke about molesting/raping children?

Some comics tend to go for shock humor, they want to upset rooms because that's how they make their money. I've been to multiple Jim Jeffries shows and you would not believe the crowd reactions he gets. That Aussie knows how to piss off a room very quickly.
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/8/2018, 9:20 am

@WyldeMan wrote:
@UltimateMarvel wrote:

Some comics tend to go for shock humor, they want to upset rooms because that's how they make their money. I've been to multiple Jim Jeffries shows and you would not believe the crowd reactions he gets. That Aussie knows how to piss off a room very quickly.

But not about this particular subject though, right? It's easy to find topics to get people ticked off, especially nowadays where everyone is so sensitive about everything. I love those moments though where half the people laugh and half doesn't. Then another joke will give you a vice versa reaction. In a way, it kinda makes people understand each other.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/8/2018, 10:57 am

@UltimateMarvel wrote:But not about this particular subject though, right? It's easy to find topics to get people ticked off, especially nowadays where everyone is so sensitive about everything. I love those moments though where half the people laugh and half doesn't. Then another joke will give you a vice versa reaction. In a way, it kinda makes people understand each other.

Nah, he's joked about dead babies before but Jim Jeffries is mostly about gun control and telling Christians what stupid fucking cunts they are.

However, I've always found Stephen Lynch to be quite twisted in a darkly funny way and this particular horribly hilarious song instantly comes to mind.

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel on 8/8/2018, 2:49 pm

Yeah, I've seen some his gun control jokes before.

LOL! That's both creepy and funny, the faces he made also add to it. It's about Halloween though and not nearly as bad.
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger on 8/8/2018, 6:57 pm

Comedians are damaged people. If you’re lucky you hone that damage into a sense of humor, dark as it may be.
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 8/8/2018, 7:54 pm

@UltimateMarvel wrote:Yeah, I've seen some his gun control jokes before.

LOL! That's both creepy and funny, the faces he made also add to it. It's about Halloween though and not nearly as bad.

Try these out, they're some of his tamest songs.

WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 9/3/2018, 7:10 am

Batista is doing his best to get fired from Guardians by publicly proclaiming he "doesn't know if he wants to work for Disney anymore".
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum