BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts

5 posters

Page 7 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 23  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts - Page 7 Empty Re: Random Thoughts

Post by WyldeMan 7/6/2018, 10:29 am

joey con carne wrote:This article makes me very happy.

I love where it says they had to tranquilize a bunch of the lions in order to retrieve the remains. I would have just let them eat it all and then retrieve the remains afterward. Then follow the lions around and scoop up their shit and return the remains along with the lion shit full of digested people back to their families. And then execute everyone in their family after making them eat the shit.

I have never seen Dancer, Texas but now I want to check it out.

You gotta love when a Pride is protecting their land and get to savagely tear apart some poachers like the inhuman pieces of shit they are. The article mentions multiple poaching incidents in the last few years at the park so you gotta wonder if these were the same guys who finally got caught slippin. Twisted Evil
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/8/2018, 12:18 pm

Damn it, I caught something. Had a sore throat for a couple of days (completely gone now) but it has evolved into a cough. Been coughing up some nasty crap for the last couple of days. I think I might have a slight fever, too, which I am counter-acting with some ibuprofen.

This sucks. Definitely feeling better every day but this cough is just nasty.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/8/2018, 1:52 pm

joey con carne wrote:Damn it, I caught something. Had a sore throat for a couple of days (completely gone now) but it has evolved into a cough. Been coughing up some nasty crap for the last couple of days. I think I might have a slight fever, too, which I am counter-acting with some ibuprofen.

This sucks. Definitely feeling better every day but this cough is just nasty.

Maybe it's Bronchitis.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/8/2018, 2:13 pm

Elon Musk Proposes 'Tiny, Kid-Size Submarine' to Rescue Soccer Team Trapped in Cave
Random Thoughts - Page 7 3fe3bc10
Billionaire Elon Musk proposed a high-tech rescue of 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped in a flooded cave in Thailand, using a “tiny, kid-size submarine” made from part of one of his space company’s orbital rockets.

The chief executive of Tesla Inc. and Space Exploration Technologies Corp. made the suggestion on Saturday in a Twitter message, saying he’d received “great feedback from Thailand” as members of his engineering team descend on the scene that has galvanized the attention of people in Thailand and around the world.

“Construction complete in about 8 hours, then 17 hour flight to Thailand,” he said in one of a series of Twitter messages. That timeline would get the mini-sub to Thailand early Monday local time.

Got more great feedback from Thailand. Primary path is basically a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull. Light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps. Extremely robust.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 7, 2018
Continue to be amazed by the bravery, resilience & tenacity of kids & diving team in Thailand. Human character at its best.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 7, 2018
The boys and their coach have been trapped in the cave system in the country’s north for about two weeks, and heavy rainfall looms in the days ahead.

Rescuers are moving feverishly to lower water levels with pumps and prepare the boys, most of whom can’t swim, for a perilous, hours-long extraction that would include diving through pitch-black water with scuba gear.

Musk, who studied physics, has floated a number of ideas on Twitter on how to bring the stranded team to safety.

On Saturday, he suggested a rescue employing “a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull. Light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps. Extremely robust.”

There was no immediate comment about the plan from Thai officials.

“Continue to be amazed by the bravery, resilience & tenacity of kids & diving team in Thailand,” Musk said in another tweet. “Human character at its best.”

Musk previously proposed using a double-layer Kevlar pressure pod or a long inflatable air sock to penetrate the narrow passageways and provide a rescue conduit. The tubes and pods are being built in the U.S., a spokesman said. Some equipment is traveling with his engineering the team and some will be express shipped.

Diving Risk

“No need for SCUBA mouthpiece or regulator,” Musk wrote about his suggested pods. “Training unnecessary & less susceptible to panic attack.” Musk said they were being tested Friday afternoon in a pool with a subject who had never been scuba diving.

Any air sock or tube would have to be tough enough to withstand high water pressure — potentially two tons of force at a depth of 15 feet– and sharp rocks, said Douglas Hart, a professor of mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Earlier Saturday, Musk tweeted there’s “some good feedback from cave experts in Thailand” and that he’s “iterating with them on an escape pod design that might be safe enough to try.”

“Also building an inflatable tube with airlocks,” he wrote. “Less likely to work, given tricky contours, but great if it does.”

SEAL Dies

A Thai Navy SEAL helping with the rescue operation died Friday after running out of oxygen, underlining the dangers of navigating the flooded cave system even for those with experience. Cave diving is widely regarded as treacherous and the stranded group is thought to have little swimming ability, let alone diving know-how.

Officials have also contemplated supplying the boys and their coach with food, water and oxygen to stay in the cave potentially for months until the monsoon ends and waters recede. But the expected heavy rains raise the risk of increased flooding and restricted access.

A spokesman for Musk has previously said that the billionaire’s companies may assist by trying to pinpoint the boys’ precise location using SpaceX or Boring Co. technology, pumping water or providing heavy-duty battery packs known as Tesla Inc. Powerwalls.

Last edited by WyldeMan on 7/9/2018, 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/8/2018, 3:36 pm

Bronchitis! Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

Yea, this is an old one but everytime I hear "bronchitis", this is what I remember.

joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/10/2018, 10:09 am

George Clooney Doing 60 MPH at Impact ... Thrown 20 Feet
Random Thoughts - Page 7 0710-c11
Turns out George Clooney's scooter accident was way more serious than everyone first thought ... because we've learned the actor literally became a human projectile after impact.

George was riding Tuesday morning on the Italian island of Sardinia when a Mercedes-Benz sedan turned in front of him and hit him. He was knocked clean off the scooter, and left sprawled out on the road. The driver of the Benz stopped and called for assistance.

Sources with direct knowledge of the crash tell TMZ ... Clooney was doing 60 MPH when a car suddenly pulled in front of him. Clooney was thrown from his bike and his helmet struck the car's windshield, causing it to shatter. The force of the impact actually broke his helmet.

Our sources say Clooney was hurled TWENTY FEET in the air ... he was actually propelled over the car he hit.

We contacted Clooney's rep who confirmed these details.

Clooney was [b]taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital, treated and released. He's at home recovering. We're told none of the injuries were life-threatening.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/10/2018, 10:14 am

DAMN! Clooney is incredibly lucky to be alive today..... Shocked
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/10/2018, 2:47 pm

Broke his helmet? How's his head is the more important question. Glad he's ok, it's amazing he made it out of that without serious injury. I hope he never rides again, he just got married and might have kids soon. It's not worth it.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/10/2018, 3:38 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Broke his helmet? How's his head is the more important question. Glad he's ok, it's amazing he made it out of that without serious injury. I hope he never rides again, he just got married and might have kids soon. It's not worth it.

Clooney's wife gave birth to twins last Summer and no this won't stop him from riding.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 7/10/2018, 4:46 pm

Wheelchairs don’t count
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/10/2018, 6:06 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Clooney's wife gave birth to twins last Summer and no this won't stop him from riding.

Did not know that. See, all the more reason not to now. His wife will knock some sense into him.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/11/2018, 7:34 am

Well everybody made it out of that Thai cave without drowning.

I wonder how long it takes Hollywood to announce the movie, maybe two weeks?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 7/11/2018, 11:08 am

WyldeMan wrote:Well everybody made it out of that Thai cave without drowning.

There's been reports that Hollywood folks have been on the ground for days. Pretty sure the announcement of a film/series is imminent.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/11/2018, 1:13 pm

Rusty wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:Well everybody made it out of that Thai cave without drowning.

There's been reports that Hollywood folks have been on the ground for days.  Pretty sure the announcement of a film/series is imminent.

What like lawyers and agents handing out business cards with the juice boxes to the kids as they emerged from the cave?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/11/2018, 2:15 pm

Community
Hunters
Suburra: Blood on Rome
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/11/2018, 3:38 pm

LOL! You guys called it. Hollywood will be making a movie about the Thai boys trapped in the cave. They are so out of ideas that they are taking the news and making it into a movie as it comes.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/11/2018, 4:05 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:LOL! You guys called it. Hollywood will be making a movie about the Thai boys trapped in the cave. They are so out of ideas that they are taking the news and making it into a movie as it comes.

Isn't that exactly how they've been writing every shitty episode of the entire Law and Order franchise for 30 years?

Playing Headline Vulture is kind of the name of the game.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/13/2018, 6:32 am

Donald Trump Baby Blimp Goes Live In London As Protests Kick Off
Random Thoughts - Page 7 Rexfea11
The Trump baby blimp lives as Donald Trump bulldozes his way through the UK.

The U.S. President has already caused controversy during his visit after landing yesterday, slamming British Prime Minister Theresa May’s strategy around Brexit and taking aim at the Mayor of London.

The protests are just starting in the British capital as the Trump balloon, complete with small hands, has been let loose in Parliament Square, where some 50,000 people are expected to attend the anti-Trump rally.

However, the Commander-in-Chief rowed back slightly from his earlier comments, published in an interview with The Sun newspaper in a short photo call with May. He said, “We’ve never developed a better relationship… it was really something. Today we’re talking trade, we’re talking military, some incredible anti-terrorism things and the relationship is very very strong.

Trump and May are expected to hold a full press conference later today before the former Apprentice host meets the Queen for tea at Windsor Castle.

Meanwhile, Mayor of London Sadiq Khan defended his decision to allow the inflatable Trump balloon to pop up over London. “The idea that we limit the right to protest because it might cause offence to a foreign leader is a slippery slope,” he said, adding that it was “interesting” that Trump criticized his response to terrorism and was “not criticizing the mayors of other cities” that have experienced attacks. Khan was born to British Pakistani parents.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/13/2018, 6:33 am

OH MY GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz 

I wish I cold start every morning with news that good instead of impending doom.

I wonder if Trump will grab on Markle if she's around when he has tea with the Queen.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/14/2018, 9:49 am

That's pretty funny.

I spent the day yesterday taking shit down in the basement. Today I have to get the floors out using a heat gun, too much shit to do. It's taking longer than I expected.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/14/2018, 5:19 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:That's pretty funny.

I spent the day yesterday taking shit down in the basement. Today I have to get the floors out using a heat gun, too much shit to do. It's taking longer than I expected.

Sounds like you're removing old Linoleum flooring.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/14/2018, 7:49 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
UltimateMarvel wrote:That's pretty funny.

Sounds like you're removing old Linoleum flooring.

I guess, it's glued to the floor. Then I've got concrete I've got to knock down for a bathroom. There is this old bathroom in the basement with concrete walls, looks hideous. Why they built it this way.....I have no idea.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/14/2018, 8:53 pm

What are you putting down in place of the linoleum?

I had linoleum in my basement, too. I just cleaned the hell out of it and put luxury vinyl (just a fancy vinyl which is still vinyl) directly on top of it. You can't even tell it's there. Unless your floor is not level and you need to make it level, I am wondering why you are even bothering to pull up the linoleum. You should be able to just put a layer of whatever you want directly over it.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/15/2018, 9:08 pm

joey con carne wrote:What are you putting down in place of the linoleum?

I had linoleum in my basement, too. I just cleaned the hell out of it and put luxury vinyl (just a fancy vinyl which is still vinyl) directly on top of it. You can't even tell it's there. Unless your floor is not level and you need to make it level, I am wondering why you are even bothering to pull up the linoleum. You should be able to just put a layer of whatever you want directly over it.

For now, just leave it concrete so we can work on pipes under the concrete and change some of the old metal pipes to PVC pipes. Eventually it will be laminate floors though, at least that's the plan.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/15/2018, 9:09 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:For now, just leave it concrete so we can work on pipes under the concrete and change some of the old metal pipes to PVC pipes. Eventually it will be laminate floors though, at least that's the plan.

How old is your house? Pre 1960s?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/16/2018, 7:22 am

Laminate, to my understanding, is recycled hardwood and is not waterproof nor is it very water resistant. Basements can be prone to being humid and excess moisture might not be good for it. If a leak happens, it can be problematic.

I would definitely do some research on putting laminate in the basement. I have not seen or heard of many people doing that due to the reasons I listed above. While laminate flooring feels much better than vinyl, I went with vinyl in my basement because it is much more resistant to water.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 7:55 am

joey con carne wrote:Laminate, to my understanding, is recycled hardwood and is not waterproof nor is it very water resistant. Basements can be prone to being humid and excess moisture might not be good for it. If a leak happens, it can be problematic.

I would definitely do some research on putting laminate in the basement. I have not seen or heard of many people doing that due to the reasons I listed above. While laminate flooring feels much better than vinyl, I went with vinyl in my basement because it is much more resistant to water.

There's some good reading on this topic at The Spruce. I've gotten lots of ideas and info from that site.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 7:57 am

I just saw this listed for tonight at 9pm on A&E.

Freaks and Geeks: The Documentary
93 minutes: From director Brent Hodge (I Am Chris Farley) comes this inside look at the making of the critically acclaimed, one-season wonder. Interviews include James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, Linda Cardellini and Busy Philipps, as well as series co-creators Paul Feig and Judd Apatow.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/16/2018, 9:50 am

WyldeMan wrote:How old is your house? Pre 1960s?

Yep, 1962. Why do you ask?

joey con carne wrote:Laminate, to my understanding, is recycled hardwood and is not waterproof nor is it very water resistant. Basements can be prone to being humid and excess moisture might not be good for it. If a leak happens, it can be problematic.

Hmmm, you've given me something to think about. Guess it'll be either vinyl or ceramic tile. I was only considering laminate because I saw it on someone's house and it looked great.

WyldeMan wrote:There's some good reading on this topic at The Spruce. I've gotten lots of ideas and info from that site.

Thanks!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 11:21 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:How old is your house? Pre 1960s?

Yep, 1962. Why do you ask?

Because in the 1960's copper became the norm for plumbing and you didn't mention copper. So based on what you said, I deduced the age. Cool

It's just another of those weird random bits of information I've picked up along the way.

But because of the age I gotta ask, did you guys do an Asbestos check? They practically built houses out of that shit back then.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/16/2018, 1:12 pm

Same as Wylde, that was going to by my follow-up question. Before you start tearing through insulation in the walls and what not, make sure you don't have asbestos.

Asbestos was pervasive through the 1950's. I remember seeing a house when I was home-shopping which was built in 1952 and when inquiring about asbestos the agent played dumb. I was like "Aiight, PIECE OUT."

I wasn't about to buy a house and potentially have to spend thousands to dispose of asbestos. My momma ain't raise no foo'.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/16/2018, 1:39 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Because in the 1960's copper became the norm for plumbing and you didn't mention copper. So based on what you said, I deduced the age. Cool

It's just another of those weird random bits of information I've picked up along the way.

But because of the age I gotta ask, did you guys do an Asbestos check? They practically built houses out of that shit back then.

PVC pipe is better than copper, right?

joey con carne wrote:Same as Wylde, that was going to by my follow-up question. Before you start tearing through insulation in the walls and what not, make sure you don't have asbestos.

Asbestos was pervasive through the 1950's. I remember seeing a house when I was home-shopping which was built in 1952 and when inquiring about asbestos the agent played dumb. I was like "Aiight, PIECE OUT."

I wasn't about to buy a house and potentially have to spend thousands to dispose of asbestos. My momma ain't raise no foo'.

No, we didn't do an Asbestos check. Just a regular inspection before purchase. They made insulation with Asbestos? I thought that was only for tiles?
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 2:09 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:PVC pipe is better than copper, right?

PVC won't corrode and is about half the price of copper.

UltimateMarvel wrote:No, we didn't do an Asbestos check. Just a regular inspection before purchase. They made insulation with Asbestos? I thought that was only for tiles?

NOPE, they used to stuff walls and ceilings with it too. Professional race car drivers wore racing suits made from it for years, that's what contributed heavily to the early cancer death of Steve McQueen. Asbestos was used everywhere back in the day.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/16/2018, 2:18 pm

WyldeMan wrote:NOPE, they used to stuff walls and ceilings with it too. Professional race car drivers wore racing suits made from it for years, that's what contributed heavily to the early cancer death of Steve McQueen. Asbestos was used everywhere back in the day.

There is insulation in the attic, I'm worried that might have asbestos. I think it's yellow. I'm getting up there to lay down some more insulation.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 5:09 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:There is insulation in the attic, I'm worried that might have asbestos. I think it's yellow. I'm getting up there to lay down some more insulation.

I don't think Asbestos was ever yellow, I've seen it white, grey and brown but I don't think yellow was ever an option so it sounds like you've got the same fiberglass yellow fur that all modern homes have, so it may have been replaced at some point or it really could be the OG fiberglass from when it first became an option which means it's probably R-7 or R-13 and has the silver foil backing. 

However, building codes were very lax back then and it's not uncommon to find walls and ceilings with absolutely no insulation as it still wasn't even required or expected in the 50's, insulation was considered an expensive luxury item and was usually only put in higher end homes. Kind of crazy right? It's a basic requirement in every home today but was just an option back in the day. Razz
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/16/2018, 7:15 pm

WyldeMan wrote:I don't think Asbestos was ever yellow, I've seen it white, grey and brown but I don't think yellow was ever an option so it sounds like you've got the same fiberglass yellow fur that all modern homes have, so it may have been replaced at some point or it really could be the OG fiberglass from when it first became an option which means it's probably R-7 or R-13 and has the silver foil backing. 

However, building codes were very lax back then and it's not uncommon to find walls and ceilings with absolutely no insulation as it still wasn't even required or expected in the 50's, insulation was considered an expensive luxury item and was usually only put in higher end homes. Kind of crazy right? It's a basic requirement in every home today but was just an option back in the day. Razz

Heat bills must have been crazy without insulation. One thing that pisses me off the most in this house is that there is no ground in the bedroom outlets. They all have 2 prongs instead of 3. Evil or Very Mad
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 7:55 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Heat bills must have been crazy without insulation. One thing that pisses me off the most in this house is that there is no ground in the bedroom outlets. They all have 2 prongs instead of 3. Evil or Very Mad

Most homes were heated from coal or wood.

I'd say just upgrade your outlets but you probably need to find out if your wiring cold even handle it.

Old homes are money pits.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 8:02 pm

‘Uncharted’ Fan Film Stars Nathan Fillion as Wise-Cracking Treasure Hunter, Nate Drake
Because sometimes dreams really do come true, Nathan Fillion just made his wise-cracking, peril-escaping debut as Nate Drake, the star of the Uncharted video game series. Because life is also cruel and often unfair, Fillion’s performance is completely unofficial and unaffiliated from Naughty Dog or Sony, taking place in a 15-minute fan-film directed by Allan Ungar and written by Ungar and Jesse Wheeler.

But Uncharted diehards have almost everything they could’ve asked for right there in Ungar’s short film. Fillion is as spot-on as advertised as a Drake quipping his way through a brutal beating and video game physics firefight. Joining the fun is Stephen Lang—on loan from filming the next 14 or so Avatar films—as Drake’s cigar-chomping partner-in-crime Sully and Episodes star Mircea Monroe as the treasure hunter’s badass photojournalist wife Elena.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/16/2018, 8:26 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Most homes were heated from coal or wood.

I'd say just upgrade your outlets but you probably need to find out if your wiring cold even handle it.

Nope. Panel breaker needs to be replaced too, it's got low amps and frayed wires. It's just awesome! Very Happy
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/16/2018, 9:53 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
WyldeMan wrote:Most homes were heated from coal or wood.

Nope. Panel breaker needs to be replaced too, it's got low amps and frayed wires. It's just awesome! Very Happy

Yup, that sounds about right. I've always found that I love the idea of home remodels much more than the reality once the financial portion is factored in and it stops being about all the shit you get to smash.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/17/2018, 6:03 am

Abe-nator, when did you buy the house? I kept thinking you lived there for a long time and you are just doing some upgrades here and there.

I had to rewire my entire first floor and basement including the breaker box and also also rewired half of my second floor.

I added 20amp outlets in certain places for my home theater equipment.

Total cost just for the electrician: $14,000 (and that's with me talking him down and paying in cash).

I wanted to add a 200amp system but that would have cost me another $2,500. I'm currently on a 100amp system but it's fine. I have no need now to go to 200.

However, I will say my guy was worth every penny. Inspections were a joke because he had a reputation among all of the inspectors. They didn't even "inspect". The guy came in and took photos so he can show other electricians how stuff should be done. Inspector was in and out of my house in less than 10 minutes.

joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/17/2018, 4:43 pm

WyldeMan wrote:Yup, that sounds about right. I've always found that I love the idea of home remodels much more than the reality once the financial portion is factored in and it stops being about all the shit you get to smash.

I like remodeling too, I like learning how to do drywall and stuff. Never did any myself but I think I could if I put more effort and time into it.

joey con carne wrote:Abe-nator, when did you buy the house? I kept thinking you lived there for a long time and you are just doing some upgrades here and there.

Last year. It was a good price. 1800 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a half, finished basement (but old) for $137K at 3.5% interest rate. It was going for $150 but we went back and forth with the seller who lived in another state and he got the house after the owner died so he wanted to make a quick sell because he couldn't maintain it long distance for long. He declined our final offer but came back running after a week. lol

joey con carne wrote:I had to rewire my entire first floor and basement including the breaker box and also also rewired half of my second floor.

I added 20amp outlets in certain places for my home theater equipment.

Total cost just for the electrician: $14,000 (and that's with me talking him down and paying in cash).

I wanted to add a 200amp system but that would have cost me another $2,500. I'm currently on a 100amp system but it's fine. I have no need now to go to 200.

However, I will say my guy was worth every penny. Inspections were a joke because he had a reputation among all of the inspectors. They didn't even "inspect". The guy came in and took photos so he can show other electricians how stuff should be done. Inspector was in and out of my house in less than 10 minutes.

Fuck me! That's a lot of money. Is it because it's New York or is that how much it truly costs? The bedroom outlets all need ground and I don't want to do GFCI outlets so that's probably $50/outlet to do that. I was thinking $700 for the panel so total of $1200-$1500 was my guess. Shocked
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 7/17/2018, 4:50 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Fuck me! That's a lot of money. Is it because it's New York or is that how much it truly costs? The bedroom outlets all need ground and I don't want to do GFCI outlets so that's probably $50/outlet to do that. I was thinking $700 for the panel so total of $1200-$1500 was my guess. Shocked

Electrical work is never cheap.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 7/17/2018, 4:58 pm

When you do electrical work, chances are you're going to need a permit. If you try to do it without a permit and get caught, you're gonna get raped up the ass by the city and the city never uses lube.

So, that being said, electricians can fuck you up the ass, too, because they know you need them and can charge you whatever the hell they want because you have no choice.

In the town I live, there are codes you have to follow and that requires all appliances in the kitchen and laundry run on their own independent 20amp GFGODAMNFUCKYOUCI outlets. Cha-ching! Time for the ass-fucking to begin. Then the electrician will find problems with what you have once they open up parts of your wall or look at the outlets you want to replace. They always do. Then they are "required" to bring your shit up to code because "their license and reputation is on the permit" and they "have no choice or they will get in trouble". Commence the deeper ass-fucking.

If you're able to keep your electrical work to $1,500, god bless you.

Not trying to scare you, Abe-ness. I just want you to be prepared for the inevitable. I'm sure WyldeMang can confirm what I said.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 7/17/2018, 6:02 pm

joey con carne wrote:When you do electrical work, chances are you're going to need a permit. If you try to do it without a permit and get caught, you're gonna get raped up the ass by the city and the city never uses lube.

So, that being said, electricians can fuck you up the ass, too, because they know you need them and can charge you whatever the hell they want because you have no choice.

In the town I live, there are codes you have to follow and that requires all appliances in the kitchen and laundry run on their own independent 20amp GFGODAMNFUCKYOUCI outlets. Cha-ching! Time for the ass-fucking to begin. Then the electrician will find problems with what you have once they open up parts of your wall or look at the outlets you want to replace. They always do. Then they are "required" to bring your shit up to code because "their license and reputation is on the permit" and they "have no choice or they will get in trouble". Commence the deeper ass-fucking.

If you're able to keep your electrical work to $1,500, god bless you.

Not trying to scare you, Abe-ness. I just want you to be prepared for the inevitable. I'm sure WyldeMang can confirm what I said.

What the fuck do you need a electric permit for if all you're doing is upgrading it to code? Damn! I thought you only needed permits for actual renovations. Once the electrician finds problems with your wiring, you can't say no to his services if it's to expensive? I can already tell there is a problem thought because if you use a grill and an iron at the same time or grill and microwave, power goes out and you have to flip the breakers. Not sure if that's a panel problem or like you said amps being too low.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 23 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15 ... 23  Next