BDTV
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

5 posters

Go down

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018) Empty Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Post by WyldeMan 12/13/2017, 7:08 am

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018) Anh-0410
Annihilation, based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer, follows five women (including Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Tessa Thompson) as they journey into an environmental disaster zone where something otherworldly changes the genetic make-up of everything within.

Written & Directed by Alex Garland.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

https://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018) Empty Re: Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Post by Rusty 2/15/2018, 10:49 pm

I've been waiting for this, and news dropped today that it will only get a theatrical release in the US, Canada, and China - whilst the release rights for the rest of the world went to Netflix instead.

Why? Because the Paramount studio head thought it was “too intellectual” for general audiences.

They're still proceeding with their Bumblebee spinoff though. Rolling Eyes

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

Annihilation will still hit screens in the world’s two biggest markets—the U.S. and China—but the Netflix partnership is an unusually public show of nervousness over the film’s profitability. Paramount can use the money from the deal to help recoup the film’s reported $55 million budget, but if Annihilation is a hit, the studio will miss out on any international grosses. The deal also effectively signals Paramount’s lack of trust in the vision of the filmmaker it hired. According to The Hollywood Reporter, one of the studio’s top financiers, David Ellison, clashed with Garland and the producer Scott Rudin over proposed reshoots that would have changed the ending, which the director refused to budge on. Rudin had final-cut privileges on the movie, giving him control over the finished product, and he opted to back Garland.

Annihilation isn’t a small-scale drama; it’s a visually inventive sci-fi epic, the likes of which major studios have produced for decades. Paramount bowing out of its international theatrical rollout is another example of the industry shifting away from films that aren’t proven box-office quantities. Ironically, the same kind of Netflix deal is reportedly being mulled for another Paramount movie, God Particle, part of the loosely connected Cloverfield franchise. The other two Cloverfield films were hits for Paramount, but according to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio’s new CEO Jim Gianopulos has identified the $40 million–budgeted space thriller as a risk. “He sat down and looked at what is theatrical, what is not in this day and age,” a source told the Reporter. Paramount films like the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee fit the bill; God Particle and Annihilation, it seems, may not.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018) Empty Re: Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Post by WyldeMan 2/16/2018, 4:24 am

Rusty wrote:I've been waiting for this, and news dropped today that it will only get a theatrical release in the US, Canada, and China - whilst the release rights for the rest of the world went to Netflix instead.

Why? Because the Paramount studio head thought it was “too intellectual” for general audiences.

They're still proceeding with their Bumblebee spinoff though. Rolling Eyes

I've heard so much about Annihilation over the last year and am looking forward to it as well.

Bumblebee is a movie made for our current world, it's all explosions and no brain activity required unlike Annihilation so I think I would agree with the statement. I don't see this being a real box office draw regardless, Portman while very talented and always making solid movies, doesn't really bring in the crowds en mass and I'd rather just be able to watch this in my living room over some mouth breathing knuckle draggers who just came for the violence and to play Candy Crush on their phones.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/12/2018, 8:53 pm

For those forum members living outside the US, you can now watch this on Netflix : Cool
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/13/2018, 5:49 am

Rusty wrote:For those forum members living outside the US, you can now watch this on Netflix : Cool

It's available worldwide on Netflix except for the US, that's an interesting release.....
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/13/2018, 3:45 pm

I'll check it out sometimes this week after I finish Jessica Jones. It's got a great cast and trailer was interesting so I hope it's good.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/13/2018, 4:46 pm

Watched it last night. Excellent movie. Slow moving, but a faster pace would have ruined it.

Tense moments, creepy moments, what the fuck moments. The ending was nuts. Could easily have a follow up (the book it's based on is intended to be a trilogy).

Wish I saw it in the theatres. The visuals and sounds are fantastic. At the very least, a 4K TV would have been awesome.

If you watch it, do yourself a favour and watch it at night with the lights off. Don't sit and watch it whilst your phone is in your hand. You'll miss a lot of subtle shit.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/13/2018, 8:46 pm

Rusty wrote:Watched it last night. Excellent movie. Slow moving, but a faster pace would have ruined it.

Tense moments, creepy moments, what the fuck moments. The ending was nuts. Could easily have a follow up (the book it's based on is intended to be a trilogy).

Wish I saw it in the theatres. The visuals and sounds are fantastic. At the very least, a 4K TV would have been awesome.

If you watch it, do yourself a favour and watch it at night with the lights off. Don't sit and watch it whilst your phone is in your hand. You'll miss a lot of subtle shit.

But I need to live tweet it or I didn't see it!!!

I plan on watching this in the next few days, been waiting what feels like a few years now.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/13/2018, 9:01 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
But I need to live tweet it or I didn't see it!!!

I plan on watching this in the next few days, been waiting what feels like a few years now.

In theaters? If you're going to watch a downloaded version, absolutely get the highest quality available. It deserves it.

Without giving too much away, towards the end, there's about a 15-20 minute section without a single word of dialogue - it's complete visual storytelling at its finest.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/13/2018, 10:03 pm

Ooh, I love silent storytelling. Gonna try to see this in theaters soon
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/13/2018, 10:26 pm

Tyger wrote:Ooh, I love silent storytelling. Gonna try to see this in theaters soon

I suppose I shouldn't say "at its finest", but it's damn fantastic.

And as far as the studio exec's "too intelligent" comment is concerned, he's a moron. An Intelligent film? yes. Too intelligent? Nope. If I can follow and appreciate it, so can most moviegoers.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/19/2018, 5:51 pm

This is what you call a creative movie. lol
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/20/2018, 6:57 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:This is what you call a creative movie. lol

Pretension should not be mistaken for creative.

Pretty colors and twirling shapes should not taken precedent over a coherent, well thought out story.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/20/2018, 7:02 am

WyldeMan wrote:
UltimateMarvel wrote:This is what you call a creative movie. lol

Pretension should not be mistaken for creative.

Pretty colors and twirling shapes should not taken precedent over a coherent, well thought out story.

You and I watched a completely different film.

Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/20/2018, 7:07 am

Rusty wrote:You and I watched a completely different film.

We must have cause I went in so excited after waiting so many years and came away just pissed off and wondering what was the point of most of it. I normally love Portman's movies and watch them several times but this one, nope.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/20/2018, 7:18 am

WyldeMan wrote:
Rusty wrote:You and I watched a completely different film.

We must have cause I went in so excited after waiting so many years and came away just pissed off and wondering what was the point of most of it. I normally love Portman's movies and watch them several times but this one, nope.

Yeah. Going in excited is always cause for concern.

I've learned to go in blind, and reap the rewards.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/20/2018, 7:25 am

Rusty wrote:Yeah. Going in excited is always cause for concern.

I've learned to go in blind, and reap the rewards.

But see that's the problem, I was hyped because I loved Ex Machina and Portman always gets my watch but otherwise I skipped all trailers and only saw the picture of Portman and the gator's mouth so I connected it to a more prominent role because of it. I went in as blind as I could and I think that's why the confusion, did everybody else know going in that this was an alien invasion film?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/20/2018, 2:10 pm

You know what the ending reminded me of? Under the Skin with Scarlett Johansson. Weird as fuck!
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/20/2018, 3:18 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:You know what the ending reminded me of? Under the Skin with Scarlett Johansson. Weird as fuck!

I just kept thinking of Marvel's Silver Surfer.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/20/2018, 4:38 pm

WyldeMan wrote:But see that's the problem, I was hyped because I loved Ex Machina and Portman always gets my watch but otherwise I skipped all trailers and only saw the picture of Portman and the gator's mouth so I connected it to a more prominent role because of it. I went in as blind as I could and I think that's why the confusion, did everybody else know going in that this was an alien invasion film?

I didn't. I only watched the teaser and I knew it was sci-fi obviously and I just thought it was interesting.

WyldeMan wrote:I just kept thinking of Marvel's Silver Surfer.

lol That's another good comparison, all it needed was the surfboard.

Last edited by UltimateMarvel on 3/20/2018, 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/20/2018, 4:40 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:lol That's another good comparison, all it needed was the surfboard.

It might not have been so gay if at least had the surf board.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/20/2018, 7:31 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:You know what the ending reminded me of? Under the Skin with Scarlett Johansson. Weird as fuck!
Yeah, I was reminded of thst movie where ScarJo plays a black chick at the end too. That movie was better though.

The trippy blob thing was the best part of the movie. None of the relationships paid off in any way. They kept making a point about all the previous teams being all men and this team was all women and....no fucking reason again. And the Thriller ending. Come on. And they FOUGHT for that. I want to know what they were possibly fighting against.
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2018, 6:33 am

Tyger wrote:The trippy blob thing was the best part of the movie. None of the relationships paid off in any way. They kept making a point about all the previous teams being all men and this team was all women and....no fucking reason again. And the Thriller ending. Come on. And they FOUGHT for that. I want to know what they were possibly fighting against.

Exactly! What was the point of the affair when all this other drama was already playing out and not being resolved?? It was a total derailment for me, I don't understand why that script got that cast or all that hype. I can't imagine anybody fighting for that ending, it seems like the one you think of and then don't ever actually type into existence cause it sucks so badly.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/21/2018, 7:24 am

Who made it out in the end by the way? Lena clearly killed the alien and then later we see her eyes change color. It was clear for Kane but Lena's case doesn't make sense.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2018, 8:02 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:Who made it out in the end by the way? Lena clearly killed the alien and then later we see her eyes change color. It was clear for Kane but Lena's case doesn't make sense.

My interpretation was that both Lena and Kane were body snatched at the end, so they were dead and aliens were wearing their meat suits.

Apparently it's massively different in the book.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/21/2018, 8:17 am

WyldeMan wrote:My interpretation was that both Lena and Kane were body snatched at the end, so they were dead and aliens were wearing their meat suits.

Apparently it's massively different in the book.

But she killed it and made it out and we saw it die? Must be editing error or something.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2018, 8:47 am

UltimateMarvel wrote:But she killed it and made it out and we saw it die? Must be editing error or something.

Did she though?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/21/2018, 1:49 pm

Or maybe the real Lena made it out but her DNA was altered like some of the animals in the movie.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2018, 2:06 pm

joey con carne wrote:Or maybe the real Lena made it out but her DNA was altered like some of the animals in the movie.

But then why did she have the same eyes and strange behavior as her Body Snatched husband? I half expected them to start playing with each other's stomach snakes while everybody watched.
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/21/2018, 3:45 pm

WyldeMan wrote:
joey con carne wrote:Or maybe the real Lena made it out but her DNA was altered like some of the animals in the movie.

But then why did she have the same eyes and strange behavior as her Body Snatched husband? I half expected them to start playing with each other's stomach snakes while everybody watched.

I took her behaviour as now realising that it wasn't Kane, but the replicant.

The eye thing was because her DNA had changed. She'd already tested her blood inside the shimmer and it had already started changing. How much it changed? No idea, but once it's started, that's all she wrote.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/21/2018, 5:17 pm

Also what doesn't make sense is after Lena's replicant died, the shimmer and everything in it was destroyed but Kane still survived?
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/21/2018, 5:53 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:Also what doesn't make sense is after Lena's replicant died, the shimmer and everything in it was destroyed but Kane still survived?

Because it was outside the shimmer?
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyger 3/21/2018, 7:57 pm

Or maybe the real Lena was inside us all along
Tyger
Tyger

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/21/2018, 8:38 pm

Rusty wrote:
UltimateMarvel wrote:Also what doesn't make sense is after Lena's replicant died, the shimmer and everything in it was destroyed but Kane still survived?

Whatever was inside that hole with the vines or whatever, their original drop or source of power, was destroyed so it didn't make sense for anything alien to survive after that.

Tyger wrote:Or maybe the real Lena was inside us all along

Hmmmmm, this actually makes sense.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty 3/21/2018, 9:09 pm

UltimateMarvel wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Whatever was inside that hole with the vines or whatever, their original drop or source of power, was destroyed so it didn't make sense for anything alien to survive after that.

They were roots that spread underground, which is how/why the area slowly got larger over time. Anything that was within the shimmer, and growing from those roots, died from the fires, because they were all connected by that root system

Lena and Repli-Kane were outside the shimmer, and whist affected by the shimmer, they weren't growing out of the ground.

I can't remember, but I don't believe they showed any of the shimmer animals going up in flames. Just all the plant life.
Rusty
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/21/2018, 9:24 pm

Tyger wrote:
Or maybe the real Lena was inside us all along

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018) Giphy
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joey con carne 3/22/2018, 7:43 am

Okay, truth time. I have not watched this movie.
joey con carne
joey con carne

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan 3/22/2018, 3:22 pm

joey con carne wrote:Okay, truth time. I have not watched this movie.

Well the rest of us have and we all have a different interpretation of the ending. Do you think that's a problem?
WyldeMan
WyldeMan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UltimateMarvel 3/22/2018, 5:24 pm

Rusty wrote:They were roots that spread underground, which is how/why the area slowly got larger over time. Anything that was within the shimmer, and growing from those roots, died from the fires, because they were all connected by that root system

Lena and Repli-Kane were outside the shimmer, and whist affected by the shimmer, they weren't growing out of the ground.

I can't remember, but I don't believe they showed any of the shimmer animals going up in flames. Just all the plant life.

Fine, I'll buy that. No, they didn't show the animals dying. Kane was dying outside of the shimmer though, we saw blood when he drank the water. Still, it doesn't make the movie better. I'm curious about the real Kane and the other soldiers went through though. Might as well have seen their experiences in the shimmer because sending 4 women in their respective fields accomplished nothing. Sure, she torched it but that was by accident. Kane almost did the same thing only he took out himself. lol

joey con carne wrote:Okay, truth time. I have not watched this movie.

I figured you didn't and I knew you were joking, so was I. Your street cred just went down though. You have failed this city! Razz

Check the movie out when you got nothing else to watch. Tell us your thoughts on it, you might like it like Russ did.
UltimateMarvel
UltimateMarvel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down