Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Go down

Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Post by WyldeMan on 12/13/2017, 7:08 am

Annihilation, based on the novel by Jeff VanderMeer, follows five women (including Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Tessa Thompson) as they journey into an environmental disaster zone where something otherworldly changes the genetic make-up of everything within.

Written & Directed by Alex Garland.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Annihilation (Portman / Leigh / Thompson / Issac) (February 23, 2018)

Post by Rusty on 2/15/2018, 10:49 pm

I've been waiting for this, and news dropped today that it will only get a theatrical release in the US, Canada, and China - whilst the release rights for the rest of the world went to Netflix instead.

Why? Because the Paramount studio head thought it was “too intellectual” for general audiences.

They're still proceeding with their Bumblebee spinoff though. Rolling Eyes

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/01/annihilation-paramount-netflix/551810/

Annihilation will still hit screens in the world’s two biggest markets—the U.S. and China—but the Netflix partnership is an unusually public show of nervousness over the film’s profitability. Paramount can use the money from the deal to help recoup the film’s reported $55 million budget, but if Annihilation is a hit, the studio will miss out on any international grosses. The deal also effectively signals Paramount’s lack of trust in the vision of the filmmaker it hired. According to The Hollywood Reporter, one of the studio’s top financiers, David Ellison, clashed with Garland and the producer Scott Rudin over proposed reshoots that would have changed the ending, which the director refused to budge on. Rudin had final-cut privileges on the movie, giving him control over the finished product, and he opted to back Garland.

Annihilation isn’t a small-scale drama; it’s a visually inventive sci-fi epic, the likes of which major studios have produced for decades. Paramount bowing out of its international theatrical rollout is another example of the industry shifting away from films that aren’t proven box-office quantities. Ironically, the same kind of Netflix deal is reportedly being mulled for another Paramount movie, God Particle, part of the loosely connected Cloverfield franchise. The other two Cloverfield films were hits for Paramount, but according to The Hollywood Reporter, the studio’s new CEO Jim Gianopulos has identified the $40 million–budgeted space thriller as a risk. “He sat down and looked at what is theatrical, what is not in this day and age,” a source told the Reporter. Paramount films like the upcoming Transformers spinoff Bumblebee fit the bill; God Particle and Annihilation, it seems, may not.
Rusty

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeMan on 2/16/2018, 4:24 am

@Rusty wrote:I've been waiting for this, and news dropped today that it will only get a theatrical release in the US, Canada, and China - whilst the release rights for the rest of the world went to Netflix instead.

Why? Because the Paramount studio head thought it was “too intellectual” for general audiences.

They're still proceeding with their Bumblebee spinoff though. Rolling Eyes

I've heard so much about Annihilation over the last year and am looking forward to it as well.

Bumblebee is a movie made for our current world, it's all explosions and no brain activity required unlike Annihilation so I think I would agree with the statement. I don't see this being a real box office draw regardless, Portman while very talented and always making solid movies, doesn't really bring in the crowds en mass and I'd rather just be able to watch this in my living room over some mouth breathing knuckle draggers who just came for the violence and to play Candy Crush on their phones.
WyldeMan
Admin

http://bdtv.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum